iPhone 4s Battery issues

Mentor

iPhone 4s Battery issues

Hello,

Finally after 4 years I was very excited to get an iPhone that has all the features I wanted…but I am disappointed so far.

I purchase an iPhone 4S 32GB on 10/7 and has not been impressed with the battery life. I have to charge my iPhone at least 3 times a day. I go to work at 8 AM and by 11:30 AM the battery is at 20 %, so I charge it again which takes only about 60 to 120 minutes to charge, and by 5:30 I have to start charging again…the third charge has start around 11:30 PM and I have to keep the phone plugged overnight otherwise it will be dead by 6 AM.

I have read other posts on the web and people have suggested turning notifications, location services…etc which I went ahead and did but that did not change the battery issue. I would like to mention here…what is the purpose of all the options on the phone if you have to keep everything turned off.

I always try to kill apps that running in background but still no fix to battery issue.

Today I went to Apple store and exchanged the phone with new one. The apple rep activated the phone for me and the charge was at 78 %. I left the store and 10 minutes later I was at my house, but again I was surprised to see the battery has drooped to 65 % within 10 minutes.

When I got home I plugged the phone and when it was charge at 100 % I unplugged it and 40 minutes later the battery dropped to 70 %.

I am given this phone 2 more days and if the battery continue to be an issue I have no option but to return it and re-active my old phone. Having to charge a phone 3 times a day defeats the purpose of having a wireless phone.

It seemed that a lot of users are have similar issue. Not sure if the issue related to iOS 5, iPhone or bad batch of iPhone or iPhone batteries.

Thanks.....B

Message 1 of 32 (1,521 Views)
Mentor

Re: iPhone 4s Battery issues

I unplugged my iPhone 4s at 8:20 this morning with 100% and by 10:43 AM I am down to 63%. I have turned everything off such notifications, locations services, nothing in the background is working and I only used it for 10 minute conversation.

I am going to return it back today to Apple store and wait few more months before buying another phone. I am starting to think that there is something with either the iOS, the phone hardware or the battery.

Message 2 of 32 (1,430 Views)
Mentor

My wife's phone just got charged for the first time since launch day.  It sat in her purse since  for the most part except for a few texts and calls. She has the 16gig.  I have the 32 and use it heavily.  Where I work there are NO cell signal so the phone constantly is searching and eating up the battery.  Still I can usually make it through the day on one charge.  ...so something isn't quite right.  I would suspect GPS, had you not mentioned turning it off.  I am at a loss... Good luck.

Message 3 of 32 (1,417 Views)
Mentor

I don't think it is GPS since my Locations Services is set to Off and both Siri and GPS are under this settings.  There has to be something that is causing the battery to drain fast. I am starting to think it might be a batch of bad phones or batteries.

Message 4 of 32 (1,396 Views)
Contributor

have you turned off wifi. and when you are in a spot with no cell coverage did you turn off 3g so it only finds 2g?

Message 5 of 32 (1,322 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

well my battery life is kind of short,but i use the WiFi all dya to listen to pandora radio. from 7am to  12pm my battery will hit 62% from 12:30 to 2:30pm il be at 50% so thats pretty good.then i will  charge it back up.

Message 6 of 32 (1,316 Views)
Mentor

I have read a lot of posts and I think I might have found why the battery is draining fast. One of the post a user suggested to turn off push for email. Currently I have 2 email accounts setup on my phone: hotmail and our exchange.  Once I disabled Push and set Fetch to Manual I no longer had issue with my battery and now it takes an hour or so to drop 1%. I am not sure if Push should be disabled or there is bug with the phone, because my friend has an iphone 4 and has 1 email acccount (hotmail) and it is set for Push, but he does not have any battery issues at all.

Anyone has more than email account on iPhone 4S with Push and not having battery issues? 

Message 7 of 32 (1,287 Views)
Master

If push is the problem, the server needs to be tweaked as push should use less power for email than fetch. I would say iCloud might still need some tweaking. I am having some issues with my iPhone 4 running iOS 5. Under MobileMe, I didi pretty good with my battery.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 8 of 32 (1,282 Views)
Master

I'm getting 7.5 usage hours and over a day and a half of standby time on my iPhone 4S, which is fine for me. One of my coworkers is only getting half of this, so I do believe that a iOS update will be needed to correct the battery issue for those that are having one.

Message 9 of 32 (1,279 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

The problem isn't push, it isn't leaving wifi on, it's none of that.  I'm got the 4S and upgraded from an iPhone 4.

The iPhone 4 had GREAT battery life.  I could go all day with that.  The 4S drops even when I'm not using it. There HAS to be a bug in the OS.  Maybe there is some optimization that they didn't have time to finish for the A5 chip before release.

I remain cautiously optomistic that Apple is aware of this and is (or might have) a fix for this and we'll see software update soon that fixes it (once they're done doing all of the QA testing.)

I have the 4S configured pretty much the same was as the iPhone 4.  I even went and turned off wifi, location, and bluetooth a nd it didn't seem to make a difference.  No, I won't turn off 3G that's never an option since EDGE data doesn't really work.

iPhone batteries, when new, don't get great battery life until you've used them about a week and gone through the first 10 charge cycles or so.  But I'm past that point where it should be getting better and it's just as dismal as the first day I had it.

Apple HAS to address this (that is I mean they almost surely will) some how and I'm pretty sure they will.  Their employees use them too and they have to be feeling the pain.  The question is if/when they patch the software, how much better will it actually be?

They advertise better battery life than iPhone 4 and I'm actually seeing maybe 1/2 iPhone 4. 

I have also noticed it getting warm when not even using it (so has my wife) and we didn't experience that with the 4.  Something is eating up power when it shouldn't.

Message 10 of 32 (1,267 Views)
Mentor

I think the issue is related to email/push settings from my experience so far.

Originally I had the settings set to Push and Manual. Once I changed the settings to Push off and manual I no longer had issue with my battery. It took 7 hours to go down 1% and that with WiFi on, all notifications enabled, and apps running in background.

I checked with my friends and co-workers who have iPhone 4 (none had the 4S) and some with iOS 5 and others with iOS4. Their settings for Push is set to ON and schedule for Hourly. None of them had battery issues.

I went ahead and turned Push on for my iPhone 4S and changed the schedule to hourly. Once I made the changes the battery started to drain very fast, it went down from 90% to 83% within 30 minutes.

I am not sure what is going anymore, but I think there is bug with the iOS 5 on the new 4S phones.

Message 11 of 32 (982 Views)
Mentor

bluem1 wrote:

I think the issue is related to email/push settings from my experience so far.

Originally I had the settings set to Push and Manual. Once I changed the settings to Push off and manual I no longer had issue with my battery. It took 7 hours to go down 1% and that with WiFi on, all notifications enabled, and apps running in background.

I checked with my friends and co-workers who have iPhone 4 (none had the 4S) and some with iOS 5 and others with iOS4. Their settings for Push is set to ON and schedule for Hourly. None of them had battery issues.

I went ahead and turned Push on for my iPhone 4S and changed the schedule to hourly. Once I made the changes the battery started to drain very fast, it went down from 90% to 83% within 30 minutes.

I am not sure what is going anymore, but I think there is bug with the iOS 5 on the new 4S phones.

hmmm  My 4S pushes email every 15 minutes.  My battery life is pretty good.  Hope you figure this out.

Message 12 of 32 (955 Views)
Teacher

I have a 64GB 4S and I am another one that has had no battery issues. Does it drain faster than my iPhone 4? Sure but that is expected with the new hardware. You never mentioned if you tried a full restore rather than restoring a backup but I have heard that corrects the issue for some people.

Hope it gets worked out, I am sure that is very annoying.

Message 13 of 32 (926 Views)
Professor

If this is a real problem, it must be 4S hardware specific. I upgraded to iOS5 on my iPhone 4 and haven't really noticed a change in battery life. I've got WiFi and BT on all of the time, and push and any automatic data functions or apps turned off.

One thing I've always done on every new iPhone that I've owned is very early on to charge the battery fully, and then completely drain it (down below 10% at least, all the way to won't turn on is best) before charging it fully again. Then I just charge as needed and I've never had a battery problem, even with my 3G which I had for 2 years before I upgraded to the 4.
Message 14 of 32 (922 Views)
Guru

I am using push mail.  It was never an issue on the iPhone 4.  I'm going to try using it without push mail for a while and see if I can confirm this.

Thanks.

Message 15 of 32 (911 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.