iPhone 4S with gophone?

Tutor

iPhone 4S with gophone?

If I pony up for an unlocked iPhone 4S, can I use a gophone plan with it per AT&T rules? I'm looking for a "I know this for fact" answer (preferably from an AT&T rep), not a guess. I want to use the $25/month + $25/500GB plan, and I want to walk into AT&T to get it officially set up without a fight. Yes or no?

And if that is possible, can the phone be used for tethering also?
Message 1 of 31 (19,352 Views)
Tutor

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?


Wild Banchi wrote:
It's even more intriguing to hear that you got data to work on the phone - the only part keeping me from getting a prepaid iPhone is the fear that MMS and data would not work.

To enable data you simply have to install an APN setting for wap.cingular.  You can easily do this by hitting http://unlockit.co.nz/ while on the phone you want to set up (using WiFi, obviously).  I think a reboot of the phone might also be necessary.  After that my phone worked perfectly for data.

 

Note that you have to buy a data plan to do data on a smartphone like the iPhone.  I don't know what happens if you don't buy a data plan.  Either data just won't work, or you'll quickly drain your prepay balance with the high data cost.

Message 16 of 31 (17,969 Views)
Tutor

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?


hnzw_rui wrote:

Personally, planning on test driving T-Mo's new Monthly4G plan: 100 minutes/unlimited messaging/unlimited data (HSPA+ first 5GB, 2G afterwards) all for $30.


Note that because T-Mobile is on a different frequency, the data speeds you get on an iPhone will be very slow.  Some people may consider that to be no problem given the savings.

 

Also note that for a T-Mobile plan you'll need to have an unlocked phone.  For an AT&T plan, so long as the iPhone was initially on the AT&T network it will work fine on a GoPhone plan with no unlock necessary.

Message 17 of 31 (17,968 Views)
Scholar

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?

[ Edited ]

drthunder wrote:

Note that because T-Mobile is on a different frequency, the data speeds you get on an iPhone will be very slow.  Some people may consider that to be no problem given the savings.


This one's not for my iPhone. I'll be using it with a Samsung Galaxy S 4G Vibrant. Smiley Wink iPhone on T-Mobile = EDGE. Even if T-Mo's plan offers unlimited data, I'd probably be banging my head before I reach 100MB. Smiley Tongue

Message 18 of 31 (17,949 Views)
Master

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?


drthunder wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:
It's even more intriguing to hear that you got data to work on the phone - the only part keeping me from getting a prepaid iPhone is the fear that MMS and data would not work.

To enable data you simply have to install an APN setting for wap.cingular.  You can easily do this by hitting http://unlockit.co.nz/ while on the phone you want to set up (using WiFi, obviously).  I think a reboot of the phone might also be necessary.  After that my phone worked perfectly for data.

 

Note that you have to buy a data plan to do data on a smartphone like the iPhone.  I don't know what happens if you don't buy a data plan.  Either data just won't work, or you'll quickly drain your prepay balance with the high data cost.


Thanks for the info. I actually already knew of this process and have actually thought about giving a prepaid iPhone a try. The part where you mentioned a data plan, though, gets me wondering. I wouldn't intend to use 3G data for on-the-go use, but using it for MMS capabilities instead. I wonder if I would need a data plan to send/receive MMS messages. I would think that I would not since MMS is covered under messaging, but prepaid iPhones are risky and can be somewhat unpredictable, I guess you could say.

You bring up a great point. Thanks for sharing. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 19 of 31 (17,940 Views)
Master

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?


hnzw_rui wrote:
This one's not for my iPhone. I'll be using it with a Samsung Galaxy S 4G Vibrant. Smiley Wink

Over this past weekend I thought about purchasing an unlocked Galaxy S 4G and placing it on my GoPhone plan, but then I remembered I will not be able to get 3G service and T-Mobile's 611 system would pop up when I called 611 instead of AT&T's GoPhone IVR. That put the phone out of the question.

It's really the only unlocked phone I've ever considered using. It's a beautiful phone indeed.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 20 of 31 (17,939 Views)
Mentor

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?

[ Edited ]
drthunder: good to hear your success story.

Also most ATT stores have open wifi so you can go get the APN web clip before you leave the counter.

Myself I got a speech about how the iPhone is evil and would use up all my data even while not using it, complete bravo sierra of course. It has some potential to use up some data but so do all smartphones. I got that over the phone when I tried to sign up, unfortunately my SIM was no good and I had to go in store where they were a little confused but got it done.

This is a really nice plan for light users, understandable how they don't want to let it get out much.
Message 21 of 31 (17,079 Views)
Master

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?


hnzw_rui wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:
Wow, that is truly outstanding to hear. On a post paid plan, that would cost at least $75 before taxes if she were on her own individual line. She is saving about the equivalent of double per month with a high-end smartphone. Now THAT'S a deal.

I'm glad that the people in the AT&T store also did not give you a hard time. It's even more intriguing to hear that you got data to work on the phone - the only part keeping me from getting a prepaid iPhone is the fear that MMS and data would not work. Congratulations. I hope your wife enjoys her new prepaid iPhone. Smiley Happy

Depends on where you get postpaid service. T-Mobile's Value Plans are excellent values (pun not intended). For $45/mo (unfortunately, before taxes), you can get 500 anytime minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited messaging and 200MB of data.

 

Personally, planning on test driving T-Mo's new Monthly4G plan: 100 minutes/unlimited messaging/unlimited data (HSPA+ first 5GB, 2G afterwards) all for $30.


As with any unlocked iPhone on T-Mobiles network, only EDGE speeds will be supported as T-Mobile uses different frequencies for their 3G/4G network.

Message 22 of 31 (17,012 Views)
Scholar

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?


Irish Rose wrote:

As with any unlocked iPhone on T-Mobiles network, only EDGE speeds will be supported as T-Mobile uses different frequencies for their 3G/4G network.


Again, using T-Mobile with a Galaxy S 4G which supports T-Mobile HSPA+. That said, I just got around to testing it yesterday. At home, I got 5Mbps down/2.5 Mbps up which is a lot better than I've ever gotten with AT&T. Unfortunately, I only got GPRS 40kbps down/40 kbps up in the office which is where I need the extra speed. On AT&T, I consistently get at least 1Mbps down/0.5Mbps up. I guess that experiment's a bust.

Message 23 of 31 (16,923 Views)
Master

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?

[ Edited ]

hnzw_rui wrote:

Irish Rose wrote:

As with any unlocked iPhone on T-Mobiles network, only EDGE speeds will be supported as T-Mobile uses different frequencies for their 3G/4G network.


Again, using T-Mobile with a Galaxy S 4G which supports T-Mobile HSPA+. That said, I just got around to testing it yesterday. At home, I got 5Mbps down/2.5 Mbps up which is a lot better than I've ever gotten with AT&T. Unfortunately, I only got GPRS 40kbps down/40 kbps up in the office which is where I need the extra speed. On AT&T, I consistently get at least 1Mbps down/0.5Mbps up. I guess that experiment's a bust.


Not sure why you comparing T-Mobiles 4G speeds with AT&T's in "your area" but it's totally irrelevant to the post that I quoted above about using an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile which doesn't offer 3G or 4G support on their network. That is why I said that all anyone would get is EDGE speeds if they use the iPhone on T-Mobiles network. 

Message 24 of 31 (16,914 Views)
Master

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?

I'll be testing out a prepaid iPhone 3GS tomorrow, maybe. It's in 'No SIM' mode right now. I can't wait! Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 25 of 31 (16,905 Views)
Master

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?


Wild Banchi wrote:
I'll be testing out a prepaid iPhone 3GS tomorrow, maybe. It's in 'No SIM' mode right now. I can't wait! Smiley Happy



It will work fine for you. My daughter is using my old 3GS on AT&T's prepaid service now and hasn't had any problems with it. 

Message 26 of 31 (16,902 Views)
Master

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?

I thought that it would, even though AT&T doesn't officially support prepaid iPhones. You just have to be educated at these kinds of things to make it happen. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 27 of 31 (16,899 Views)
Scholar

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?


Irish Rose wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

Irish Rose wrote:

As with any unlocked iPhone on T-Mobiles network, only EDGE speeds will be supported as T-Mobile uses different frequencies for their 3G/4G network.


Again, using T-Mobile with a Galaxy S 4G which supports T-Mobile HSPA+. That said, I just got around to testing it yesterday. At home, I got 5Mbps down/2.5 Mbps up which is a lot better than I've ever gotten with AT&T. Unfortunately, I only got GPRS 40kbps down/40 kbps up in the office which is where I need the extra speed. On AT&T, I consistently get at least 1Mbps down/0.5Mbps up. I guess that experiment's a bust.


Not sure why you comparing T-Mobiles 4G speeds with AT&T's in "your area" but it's totally irrelevant to the post that I quoted above about using an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile which doesn't offer 3G or 4G support on their network. That is why I said that all anyone would get is EDGE speeds if they use the iPhone on T-Mobiles network. 


You were replying to my post. I was the one who wants to use T-Mobile service and I was just clarifying that I wasn't planning on using an iPhone for the test. So yes, it's relevant

Message 28 of 31 (16,877 Views)
Contributor

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?

When you pay for the $50 Go Phone unlimited plan and do everything over the internet yourself, is there a way to get the data to work on the iphone without paying for the data feature that would be unlimited on other types of Go Phones ?? The iPhone is an older one but still works great for a Go Phone. All the featues work except the data portion which is suppose to be unlimited as well on the $50 Go Phone plan. Any thoughts on this from anyone or maybe a way to get around the extra cost of data service ???? Thanks. 

Message 29 of 31 (16,728 Views)
Master

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?

Don't know of a way around it since the data plan requirement exists for any phone recognized as being a smartphone by at&t; and it's unlikely that at&t would not recognize an iPhone.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 30 of 31 (16,725 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.