iPhone 4S with gophone?

Tutor

iPhone 4S with gophone?

If I pony up for an unlocked iPhone 4S, can I use a gophone plan with it per AT&T rules? I'm looking for a "I know this for fact" answer (preferably from an AT&T rep), not a guess. I want to use the $25/month + $25/500GB plan, and I want to walk into AT&T to get it officially set up without a fight. Yes or no?

And if that is possible, can the phone be used for tethering also?
Message 1 of 31 (19,356 Views)
Scholar

Re: iPhone 4S with gophone?

drthunder wrote:
If I pony up for an unlocked iPhone 4S, can I use a gophone plan with it per AT&T rules? I'm looking for a "I know this for fact" answer (preferably from an AT&T rep), not a guess. I want to use the $25/month + $25/500GB plan, and I want to walk into AT&T to get it officially set up without a fight. Yes or no?

And if that is possible, can the phone be used for tethering also?

I don't work for AT&T but official policy is no, they don't support the iPhone as a GoPhone. People have gotten around that limitation by jumping through hoops (basically using instructions found on the internet) but if you call AT&T, then they're not gonna do anything to help.

By the way, it's $25/500MB. Not $25/500GB.

Message 2 of 31 (19,303 Views)
Tutor

Yeah, MB, not GB. Oops. From what I've dug up in my Google searches, AT&T did change their policy with the iPhone and GoPhone, at least for the 3GS. But they did it very quietly earlier this year and many salespeople don't even know until you make them go look it up. It makes sense to me since the GoPhone page now talks about requirements for "smartphones" -- why would an iPhone be excluded? That's why I'm looking for an official answer by someone who really knows.
Message 3 of 31 (19,290 Views)
Master

In all honesty, you could use an iPhone 4S with a GoPhone plan, but terms on this subject are very limited as to what can be discussed here. You will need a MicroSIM that can support a prepaid plan. It may be difficult to obtain one, especially if you tell an AT&T store member that you intend to use it for a GoPhone plan.

Once the iPhone is activated, voice and text messaging services should work absolutely fine. It's getting the data portion of the phone to work is what makes it a hassle.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 31 (19,200 Views)
Scholar

Message 5 of 31 (19,195 Views)
Master

hnzw_rui wrote:

This official enough for you?

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB110787&cv=820&br=BR&ct=7700006&pv=3&title=Can+I+use+iP...

It is. And I respect that. What AT&T is saying is that they do not officially authorize the use of iPhones on prepaid accounts. But if some people have managed to do just that, (some even participating on this Forum) then it must be possible. As AT&T's slogan says, 'Rethink Possible.' Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 31 (19,161 Views)
Scholar

Wild Banchi wrote:

hnzw_rui wrote:

This official enough for you?

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB110787&cv=820&br=BR&ct=7700006&pv=3&title=Can+I+use+iP...

It is. And I respect that. What AT&T is saying is that they do not officially authorize the use of iPhones on prepaid accounts. But if some people have managed to do just that, (some even participating on this Forum) then it must be possible. As AT&T's slogan says, 'Rethink Possible.' Smiley Tongue

I'm well aware there are workarounds to get the iPhone working on GoPhone service without needing to jailbreak. That post was in reply to the OP. He was asking about the official AT&T policy with regards to iPhones and prepaid.

Message 7 of 31 (19,152 Views)
Master

hnzw_rui wrote:
I'm well aware there are workarounds to get the iPhone working on GoPhone service without needing to jailbreak. That post was in reply to the OP. He was asking about the official AT&T policy with regards to iPhones and prepaid.

Whoops, I'm sorry. My bad. I thought that you were trying to somewhat contradict my other post about approving prepaid iPhones. My apologies.

Message 8 of 31 (19,148 Views)
Tutor

It's straightforward, but I wonder if it's up to date. I've seen things like this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=865931&highlight=gophone&page=5 (See #104 and on.) And if you look at the GoPhone plans (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp), at the bottom it says "Smartphone users must purchase a data package with any plan to use data services on their device." It doesn't say anything specific about the iPhone. So it reads for all the world like they will fully accept any iPhone on one of these GoPhone plans. All these clues make it seem like this is just some kind of unspoken secret that AT&T doesn't want to officially cop to in print somewhere, but they actually do allow it. Has anyone taken an iPhone 4 in to an AT&T store and attempted to get it hooked up with a GoPhone plan within the last month or two?
Message 9 of 31 (19,142 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

drthunder wrote:
It's straightforward, but I wonder if it's up to date. I've seen things like this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=865931&highlight=gophone&page=5 (See #104 and on.) And if you look at the GoPhone plans (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp), at the bottom it says "Smartphone users must purchase a data package with any plan to use data services on their device." It doesn't say anything specific about the iPhone. So it reads for all the world like they will fully accept any iPhone on one of these GoPhone plans. All these clues make it seem like this is just some kind of unspoken secret that AT&T doesn't want to officially cop to in print somewhere, but they actually do allow it. Has anyone taken an iPhone 4 in to an AT&T store and attempted to get it hooked up with a GoPhone plan within the last month or two?

Both the iPhone 2G and iPhone 3G were actually officially supported on GoPhone service (Pick Your Plan, not Pay As You Go). It's not widely advertised, but they are supported, in particular, for customers who don't pass the credit check. Folks got around that limitation by entering an invalid social security number (usually 000-00-0000) when signing up via iTunes. AT&T changed their policy beginning with the iPhone 3GS. Starting with the 3GS, you can no longer officially use the iPhone on GoPhone service. I suspect now that they're allowing smartphones on PAYG (just started with the LG Thrive in April 2011), that policy will probably change soon. Perhaps in time for the unlocked iPhone 4S's release on November 14. For now, though, no luck getting AT&T to help with using the iPhone 3GS/4 as GoPhone.

You can slap an activated GoPhone SIM on an iPhone and both voice and text should work with no issues. It's the data that you're gonna have to jump through hoops to get working.

Message 10 of 31 (19,138 Views)
Mentor

The OLD policy is no iPhone on Go Phone, because it was a smartphone and they didn't allow ANY smartphones on Go Phone.

Now they have a Smartphone plan, and they do allow iPhone on Go Phone or pretty much any Smartphone you want to bring into the store that works with AT&T. I signed up in store with my 3GS like three days after they added the Smartphone Go Phone plans. Eventually I used a SIM cutter and upgraded to an iPhone 4.

There are a lot of people still under the impression you can't but I did, in store. I likely have posts in that macrumors thread liked above too.

The phone does NOT need to be unlocked, it can be an AT&T locked phone like mine is. These are significantly cheaper when bought third party/used.

You will have to put in the APN for Go Phone, it is different from the regular APN.

Message 11 of 31 (18,115 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

Just to add - there is nothing *more* authoritative than at&t's terms of service themselves; and the last time I checked, the only devices specifically disallowed for use with GoPhone service within the TOS were "data only" devices. Smiley Wink

(Doesn't mean I would personally recommend visiting an at&t store to get situated with an iPhone on a prepaid plan - but I wouldn't recommend asking store personnel if a device purchased for prepaid service can be used with a post paid SIM either.  lol.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 12 of 31 (18,090 Views)
Tutor

Tonight I took in my old iPhone 3GS (I upgraded to a 4S) to an AT&T store. I told the concierge that I wanted to put a GoPhone plan on the 3GS for my wife. His initial response was, "Oh, that just doesn't work very well..." I responded with, "Look, I've done a ton of research on this and I know it works and I know that AT&T supports it with some recent changes." He quickly backed down and put me on the list. He probably figured that the dude at the counter can shut me down, it's not his problem. I got called to the counter and told the lady what I wanted. Her response was, "The GoPhone plan doesn't really work with the iPhone." I gave her the same response I gave the concierge. She backed down and said, "Okay, we can see what happens." I was under the impression that she was basically saying "it's your money to throw away." We spend a bit of time porting a T-Mobile Pay As You Go plan. Other than that it was pretty smooth. She said they couldn't set up the data portion at the same time as the monthly $25 plan, but I could call later or go on the website to do that. Okay, whatever. I left with a phone that did calls and text messages perfectly. I stopped by Barnes and Noble and hopped on their AT&T hot spot with my 4S. I set up the account for my wife's GoPhone and added the data plan. I got on my wife's 3GS (using the WiFi) and installed the necessary APN service. I restarted the phone. Data was working perfectly. Now I have a 3GS with 250 minutes, unlimited messaging, 100MB of data for $40/month. And if she doesn't use all that or needs more, it's an easy change. I'm happy. In 2 years when my 4S contract is up I'm going to put it on a GoPhone (or whatever's cheapest at the time) plan too. And if I buy a iPhone 5, 5S, 6, or whatever, it's going to be an unlocked version that I'll do the same with. Unless a miracle happens and the standard plan prices come down to match what is available with prepay.
Message 13 of 31 (18,050 Views)
Master

drthunder wrote:
Tonight I took in my old iPhone 3GS (I upgraded to a 4S) to an AT&T store. I told the concierge that I wanted to put a GoPhone plan on the 3GS for my wife. His initial response was, "Oh, that just doesn't work very well..." I responded with, "Look, I've done a ton of research on this and I know it works and I know that AT&T supports it with some recent changes." He quickly backed down and put me on the list. He probably figured that the dude at the counter can shut me down, it's not his problem. I got called to the counter and told the lady what I wanted. Her response was, "The GoPhone plan doesn't really work with the iPhone." I gave her the same response I gave the concierge. She backed down and said, "Okay, we can see what happens." I was under the impression that she was basically saying "it's your money to throw away." We spend a bit of time porting a T-Mobile Pay As You Go plan. Other than that it was pretty smooth. She said they couldn't set up the data portion at the same time as the monthly $25 plan, but I could call later or go on the website to do that. Okay, whatever. I left with a phone that did calls and text messages perfectly. I stopped by Barnes and Noble and hopped on their AT&T hot spot with my 4S. I set up the account for my wife's GoPhone and added the data plan. I got on my wife's 3GS (using the WiFi) and installed the necessary APN service. I restarted the phone. Data was working perfectly. Now I have a 3GS with 250 minutes, unlimited messaging, 100MB of data for $40/month. And if she doesn't use all that or needs more, it's an easy change. I'm happy. In 2 years when my 4S contract is up I'm going to put it on a GoPhone (or whatever's cheapest at the time) plan too. And if I buy a iPhone 5, 5S, 6, or whatever, it's going to be an unlocked version that I'll do the same with. Unless a miracle happens and the standard plan prices come down to match what is available with prepay.
Wow, that is truly outstanding to hear. On a post paid plan, that would cost at least $75 before taxes if she were on her own individual line. She is saving about the equivalent of double per month with a high-end smartphone. Now THAT'S a deal.

I'm glad that the people in the AT&T store also did not give you a hard time. It's even more intriguing to hear that you got data to work on the phone - the only part keeping me from getting a prepaid iPhone is the fear that MMS and data would not work. Congratulations. I hope your wife enjoys her new prepaid iPhone. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 31 (18,012 Views)
Scholar

Wild Banchi wrote:
Wow, that is truly outstanding to hear. On a post paid plan, that would cost at least $75 before taxes if she were on her own individual line. She is saving about the equivalent of double per month with a high-end smartphone. Now THAT'S a deal.

I'm glad that the people in the AT&T store also did not give you a hard time. It's even more intriguing to hear that you got data to work on the phone - the only part keeping me from getting a prepaid iPhone is the fear that MMS and data would not work. Congratulations. I hope your wife enjoys her new prepaid iPhone. Smiley Happy

Depends on where you get postpaid service. T-Mobile's Value Plans are excellent values (pun not intended). For $45/mo (unfortunately, before taxes), you can get 500 anytime minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited messaging and 200MB of data.

Personally, planning on test driving T-Mo's new Monthly4G plan: 100 minutes/unlimited messaging/unlimited data (HSPA+ first 5GB, 2G afterwards) all for $30.

Message 15 of 31 (17,988 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support