Ask a question

Reply
Posted Oct 14, 2011
8:18:28 PM
View profile
iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

After activation...I noticed my option for tethering is not in my settings...I am paying for it. So wanted to know where it is? Or where's the provisioning profile to activate tethering. Because I'm not going to pay $45.00 if i can't tether with the 4s....

 

any help with this would be great, thanks.

iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

78,973 views
19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Post reply
View all replies
(19)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 8:19:48 PM
0
(0)
Master
Settings>General>Network>Set Up Personal Hotspot!
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

2 of 20 (78,972 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 8:20:51 PM
0
(0)
Contributor

Yeah went there and it doesnt show up! lol...it's driving me crazy!

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

3 of 20 (78,968 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 8:22:04 PM
0
(0)
Contributor

nevermind..it literally just popped out of no where...

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

4 of 20 (78,964 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 8:22:25 PM
0
(0)
Master
Reboot your iPhone - Hold the on/off key and the home button for 8 to 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.

I am not sure why you would not see the option about 2/3 of the way down?

Good luck!
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

5 of 20 (78,963 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 5:15:17 AM
0
(0)
Contributor
It's not working for me....i've powered down my phone, i reset my network settins, it still won't pop up for me.

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

6 of 20 (78,816 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 5:49:13 AM
0
(0)
Mentor

It might be that it receives configuration info from the phone network.  So it might take some time before it gets the message.

 

(Totally guessing here...)

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

7 of 20 (78,804 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 6:14:26 AM
0
(0)
Professor

Jeremy Winston wrote:

It might be that it receives configuration info from the phone network.  So it might take some time before it gets the message.

 

(Totally guessing here...)


I think it's something like that.  It has to be enabled on AT&Ts end before it will function on the phone.  If AT&T hasn't enabled it, you either don't have the option, or if you do and press the button, it will spin for a bit and come back and tell you you need to contact AT&T.

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

8 of 20 (78,792 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 8:25:19 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

dwill05 wrote:

I think it's something like that.  It has to be enabled on AT&Ts end before it will function on the phone.  If AT&T hasn't enabled it, you either don't have the option, or if you do and press the button, it will spin for a bit and come back and tell you you need to contact AT&T.


Exactly. Need to call AT&T and have them enable it (you need to have the DataPro $45/4GB w/tethering plan).

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

9 of 20 (78,752 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 8:35:37 AM
0
(0)
Employee
Whether you have the tethering data plan or not, the settings/general/network menu should still have a "Personal Hotspot" item. I do not have the tethering plan but still see "Set Up Personal Hotspot" as an option. If I select it, it tells me I don't have a compatible data plan but at least the option is there. The OP is saying the option is not even there.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

10 of 20 (78,745 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 3:32:02 PM
0
(0)
Contributor

I'm confused. I checked the ATT web site and I am signed up for 4GB and tethering but don't see the hotspot option.

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

11 of 20 (57,982 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 3:52:43 PM
0
(0)
Expert

If you have CELLUAR DATA set to OFF, it won't show (at the bottom).  Turn Cellular Data On, then you'll see it.

 


knarfshock wrote:
It's not working for me....i've powered down my phone, i reset my network settins, it still won't pop up for me.



Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

12 of 20 (57,979 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 6:29:45 PM
0
(0)
Contributor
I went to General / Reset / Reset. Network Settings and I now see option for Hot Spot

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

13 of 20 (57,768 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 8:46:55 PM
0
(0)
Contributor

I have IPhone 3GS with OS5 installed.

Under General/Network/ the set Up Personal Hotspot is there. It instructs me to got the ATT website or call them to set it up.

 

Can it be set up with the 3GS or must I upgrade to 4S?

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

14 of 20 (57,598 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 8:54:32 PM
0
(0)
Contributor

I just checked my 3GS account on line and it does provide the tethering option for $45/mo up to 4 GB of data per month for my old IPhone 3GS.  So I guess it will work.

 

I checked w Verizon. If I move them the tethering for the 4S is $20/mo for 2G of hot spot/tethering data per month.

Or they sell a $99 hot spot device that will provide 4 GB via the faster 4G network. But $20/mo.

 

Hard to decide.

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

15 of 20 (57,597 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 2:45:44 AM
0
(0)
Professor
Can you pay only $20/month at Verizon for data + hotspot? I thought their $20 hotspot plan has to be added on top of their standard 2GB data plan, not that you could get the 2GB hotspot plan only.

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

16 of 20 (57,586 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 3:26:26 AM
0
(0)
Expert

dcortez wrote:

I just checked my 3GS account on line and it does provide the tethering option for $45/mo up to 4 GB of data per month for my old IPhone 3GS.  So I guess it will work.

 

I checked w Verizon. If I move them the tethering for the 4S is $20/mo for 2G of hot spot/tethering data per month.

Or they sell a $99 hot spot device that will provide 4 GB via the faster 4G network. But $20/mo.

 

Hard to decide.


Might want to review that closer, this is the Smartphone / basic data plan cost that verizon shows - cheapest with tethering / mobile hotspot for a phone is 50.00

 

Verizon data.PNG

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

17 of 20 (57,584 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 9:18:06 AM
0
(0)
Guru

wingrider01 wrote:

dcortez wrote:

I just checked my 3GS account on line and it does provide the tethering option for $45/mo up to 4 GB of data per month for my old IPhone 3GS.  So I guess it will work.

 

I checked w Verizon. If I move them the tethering for the 4S is $20/mo for 2G of hot spot/tethering data per month.

Or they sell a $99 hot spot device that will provide 4 GB via the faster 4G network. But $20/mo.

 

Hard to decide.


Might want to review that closer, this is the Smartphone / basic data plan cost that verizon shows - cheapest with tethering / mobile hotspot for a phone is 50.00

 

Verizon data.PNG


In the interest of full disclosure, it should be noted that--although yes AT&T does offer the less-expensive 4 GB hotspot plan of the two--once you go over 4GB (hotspot or not), VZW data plans are less expensive than the AT&T ones...and yes, I realize AT&T does not currently offer 5/7/10/12 GB tiered data plans but if you pad the AT&T 4 GB plan appropriately to match the VZW plans, AT&T data pricing for 5+ GB comes out to be higher than VZW. The AT&T fanboys will undoubtedly argue that it doesn't matter that VZW's pricing for 5+ GB is cheaper since most folks don't use more than 2 GB of data/month anyways, but that's besides the point... Smiley Wink

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

18 of 20 (57,569 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 9:26:39 AM
0
(0)
Expert

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

dcortez wrote:

I just checked my 3GS account on line and it does provide the tethering option for $45/mo up to 4 GB of data per month for my old IPhone 3GS.  So I guess it will work.

 

I checked w Verizon. If I move them the tethering for the 4S is $20/mo for 2G of hot spot/tethering data per month.

Or they sell a $99 hot spot device that will provide 4 GB via the faster 4G network. But $20/mo.

 

Hard to decide.


Might want to review that closer, this is the Smartphone / basic data plan cost that verizon shows - cheapest with tethering / mobile hotspot for a phone is 50.00

 

Verizon data.PNG


In the interest of full disclosure, it should be noted that--although yes AT&T does offer the less-expensive 4 GB hotspot plan of the two--once you go over 4GB (hotspot or not), VZW data plans are less expensive than the AT&T ones...and yes, I realize AT&T does not currently offer 5/7/10/12 GB tiered data plans but if you pad the AT&T 4 GB plan appropriately to match the VZW plans, AT&T data pricing for 5+ GB comes out to be higher than VZW. The AT&T fanboys will undoubtedly argue that it doesn't matter that VZW's pricing for 5+ GB is cheaper since most folks don't use more than 2 GB of data/month anyways, but that's besides the point... Smiley Wink



the point was not to prove that, although people tend to jump on it immediately, the point was to show that thast is no 20.00 stand alone tethering plan offered from verizon

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

19 of 20 (57,565 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2011 12:51:53 PM
0
(0)
Guru

wingrider01 wrote:

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

dcortez wrote:

I just checked my 3GS account on line and it does provide the tethering option for $45/mo up to 4 GB of data per month for my old IPhone 3GS.  So I guess it will work.

 

I checked w Verizon. If I move them the tethering for the 4S is $20/mo for 2G of hot spot/tethering data per month.

Or they sell a $99 hot spot device that will provide 4 GB via the faster 4G network. But $20/mo.

 

Hard to decide.


Might want to review that closer, this is the Smartphone / basic data plan cost that verizon shows - cheapest with tethering / mobile hotspot for a phone is 50.00

 

Verizon data.PNG


In the interest of full disclosure, it should be noted that--although yes AT&T does offer the less-expensive 4 GB hotspot plan of the two--once you go over 4GB (hotspot or not), VZW data plans are less expensive than the AT&T ones...and yes, I realize AT&T does not currently offer 5/7/10/12 GB tiered data plans but if you pad the AT&T 4 GB plan appropriately to match the VZW plans, AT&T data pricing for 5+ GB comes out to be higher than VZW. The AT&T fanboys will undoubtedly argue that it doesn't matter that VZW's pricing for 5+ GB is cheaper since most folks don't use more than 2 GB of data/month anyways, but that's besides the point... Smiley Wink



the point was not to prove that, although people tend to jump on it immediately, the point was to show that thast is no 20.00 stand alone tethering plan offered from verizon


My bad--I missed the part about the person mentioning that there was a $20 Hotspot plan...

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

20 of 20 (57,522 Views)
Share this post
Share this post