Helpful Links

iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

Contributor

iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

After activation...I noticed my option for tethering is not in my settings...I am paying for it. So wanted to know where it is? Or where's the provisioning profile to activate tethering. Because I'm not going to pay $45.00 if i can't tether with the 4s....

any help with this would be great, thanks.

Message 1 of 20
Master

Re: iPhone 4S tethering? Where is it?

Settings>General>Network>Set Up Personal Hotspot!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 20
Contributor

Yeah went there and it doesnt show up! lol...it's driving me crazy!

Message 3 of 20
Contributor

nevermind..it literally just popped out of no where...

Message 4 of 20
Master

Reboot your iPhone - Hold the on/off key and the home button for 8 to 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.

I am not sure why you would not see the option about 2/3 of the way down?

Good luck!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 20
Contributor

It's not working for me....i've powered down my phone, i reset my network settins, it still won't pop up for me.
Message 6 of 20

It might be that it receives configuration info from the phone network.  So it might take some time before it gets the message.

(Totally guessing here...)

Message 7 of 20
Professor

Jeremy Winston wrote:

It might be that it receives configuration info from the phone network.  So it might take some time before it gets the message.

(Totally guessing here...)

I think it's something like that.  It has to be enabled on AT&Ts end before it will function on the phone.  If AT&T hasn't enabled it, you either don't have the option, or if you do and press the button, it will spin for a bit and come back and tell you you need to contact AT&T.

Message 8 of 20
Scholar

dwill05 wrote:

I think it's something like that.  It has to be enabled on AT&Ts end before it will function on the phone.  If AT&T hasn't enabled it, you either don't have the option, or if you do and press the button, it will spin for a bit and come back and tell you you need to contact AT&T.

Exactly. Need to call AT&T and have them enable it (you need to have the DataPro $45/4GB w/tethering plan).

Message 9 of 20
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Whether you have the tethering data plan or not, the settings/general/network menu should still have a "Personal Hotspot" item. I do not have the tethering plan but still see "Set Up Personal Hotspot" as an option. If I select it, it tells me I don't have a compatible data plan but at least the option is there. The OP is saying the option is not even there.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 20
Contributor

I'm confused. I checked the ATT web site and I am signed up for 4GB and tethering but don't see the hotspot option.

Message 11 of 20
Expert

If you have CELLUAR DATA set to OFF, it won't show (at the bottom).  Turn Cellular Data On, then you'll see it.

knarfshock wrote:
It's not working for me....i've powered down my phone, i reset my network settins, it still won't pop up for me.

Message 12 of 20
Contributor

I went to General / Reset / Reset. Network Settings and I now see option for Hot Spot
Message 13 of 20
Contributor

I have IPhone 3GS with OS5 installed.

Under General/Network/ the set Up Personal Hotspot is there. It instructs me to got the ATT website or call them to set it up.

Can it be set up with the 3GS or must I upgrade to 4S?

Message 14 of 20
Contributor

I just checked my 3GS account on line and it does provide the tethering option for $45/mo up to 4 GB of data per month for my old IPhone 3GS.  So I guess it will work.

I checked w Verizon. If I move them the tethering for the 4S is $20/mo for 2G of hot spot/tethering data per month.

Or they sell a $99 hot spot device that will provide 4 GB via the faster 4G network. But $20/mo.

Hard to decide.

Message 15 of 20
Share this topic
Announcements

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is Here! Learn What’s New and How to Order

The Apple Watch Series 3 is Here! Learn how to have the freedom to go with just your watch!

The iPhone X (10) is on it's way!

Additional Support