Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 16, 2011
4:02:55 PM
View profile
iPhone 4S purchased off of craigslist. How to activate?

I purchase a 4S form a fellow on craigslist who had ordered it the 7th as an upgrade. i have an existing account with ATT with an iphone 4 on that. I had planed on using my sim from my iphone 4 to use in the 4S and left the seller the sim that had come in the 4S. Upon tring to set up the 4S it shows his phone number when my sim is inserted. Id imagine the 4S IMEI is tied to his account and his sim card and i will need to call ATT support and have them port the new 4S IMEI to my account.

Is this corretct?

When going through the setup on the iphone 4S i get to the part where it wants to activate and it shows his number, then asks for his account info.

I purchase a 4S form a fellow on craigslist who had ordered it the 7th as an upgrade. i have an existing account with ATT with an iphone 4 on that. I had planed on using my sim from my iphone 4 to use in the 4S and left the seller the sim that had come in the 4S. Upon tring to set up the 4S it shows his phone number when my sim is inserted. Id imagine the 4S IMEI is tied to his account and his sim card and i will need to call ATT support and have them port the new 4S IMEI to my account.

Is this corretct?

When going through the setup on the iphone 4S i get to the part where it wants to activate and it shows his number, then asks for his account info.

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 4:22:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

you need to connect it to itunes

you need to connect it to itunes

Re: iPhone 4S purchased off of craigslist. How to activate?

2 of 11 (4,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 4:24:23 PM
(0)
Professor

connect to itunes and restore it,then call CS and give them IMEI number for your account this  should do it.

connect to itunes and restore it,then call CS and give them IMEI number for your account this  should do it.

hello!!!

3 of 11 (4,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 4:24:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

No good. Tried that, as soon as itunes sees it it shows his phone number even with my sim in it. i even restored IOS5 to see if that would work, same result.

No good. Tried that, as soon as itunes sees it it shows his phone number even with my sim in it. i even restored IOS5 to see if that would work, same result.

4 of 11 (4,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 12:47:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

Try to manually change your phone number from settings.

Try to manually change your phone number from settings.

5 of 11 (4,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 12:50:05 PM
(0)
Scholar

I would go into a store to take care of the problem. The CSR phone reps are not generally the most knowledgeable people, in my experience. It shouldn't take any more than a few minutes, as long as the person you bought it from wasn't involved in anything shady.

I would go into a store to take care of the problem. The CSR phone reps are not generally the most knowledgeable people, in my experience. It shouldn't take any more than a few minutes, as long as the person you bought it from wasn't involved in anything shady.

6 of 11 (4,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 12:50:11 PM
(0)
Teacher

I think you' re goint to have to take it to the store and have att port your number to the phone.

I think you' re goint to have to take it to the store and have att port your number to the phone.

7 of 11 (4,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 12:51:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

Also, call from your iPhone 4S to another phone and check the number.  If it says your number, the problem is just the phone number shown on your iPhone, which can be fixed as I said above.

If you see your seller's phone number on the other phone when you call, go to a local AT&T store and change the IMEI number.

Also, call from your iPhone 4S to another phone and check the number.  If it says your number, the problem is just the phone number shown on your iPhone, which can be fixed as I said above.

If you see your seller's phone number on the other phone when you call, go to a local AT&T store and change the IMEI number.

8 of 11 (4,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 2:36:43 PM
(0)
Former Employee

I would suggest first reset the phone to factory settings, then restore from your last iphone4 backup.

I would suggest first reset the phone to factory settings, then restore from your last iphone4 backup.

9 of 11 (4,074 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 10:19:41 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by EosBlue on Oct 19, 2011 at 10:20:38 PM

The whole thing sounds a little fishy.  Wonder if it was a stolen phone?  Why would anyone get a new phone and then sell it immediately, knowing at the very least, he's getting another 2 year contract.  I wouldn't think he could sell it for a high enough figure to make it worth while and why would you pay say more than $100 more than the list price for it when you could buy your own for the regular price ($199/$299/$399 depending on your flavor)? Unless there's more than your post says.

That said, a simple sim card switch should have worked.  That's what my ATT store did for me as I was switching the new 4S for my IP4 number.  I then gave my wife my IP4 and ATT put a sim in it to change it to her number.

The whole thing sounds a little fishy.  Wonder if it was a stolen phone?  Why would anyone get a new phone and then sell it immediately, knowing at the very least, he's getting another 2 year contract.  I wouldn't think he could sell it for a high enough figure to make it worth while and why would you pay say more than $100 more than the list price for it when you could buy your own for the regular price ($199/$299/$399 depending on your flavor)? Unless there's more than your post says.

That said, a simple sim card switch should have worked.  That's what my ATT store did for me as I was switching the new 4S for my IP4 number.  I then gave my wife my IP4 and ATT put a sim in it to change it to her number.

[ Edited ]
10 of 11 (4,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 7:36:27 AM
(0)
Teacher

how much did you pay if you mind saying...

how much did you pay if you mind saying...

11 of 11 (3,043 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments