Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 9, 2011
2:42:59 PM
View profile
iPhone 4S order cancelled!

I ordered an iPhone 4S on the 1st preorder day and it initially said my order was processed and will ship (got a confirmation e-mail as well). However, I checked last night and this morning and now my order says it's cancelled. I didn't authorize this and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I ordered an iPhone 4S on the 1st preorder day and it initially said my order was processed and will ship (got a confirmation e-mail as well). However, I checked last night and this morning and now my order says it's cancelled. I didn't authorize this and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

iPhone 4S order cancelled!

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 2:48:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yep, my order was cancel too. Strangely I did not know about this until I call in. Customer service said an email was sent out to inform me order was cancel. Bull, never received such email. I stay up late on Friday to order and if they were to inform me ahaead of time I would have re-order in store. 

Poor Customer Service and they handle this is very bad. Oh well, perhaps I should go to Sprint.

And what the point of "4g" if they capped it at 2GB? Wouldn't you rather have 3G but unlimited data?

ATT if got my last name spell wrong on the account... Really tick off now...

If your an admin let me know your response. 

Yep, my order was cancel too. Strangely I did not know about this until I call in. Customer service said an email was sent out to inform me order was cancel. Bull, never received such email. I stay up late on Friday to order and if they were to inform me ahaead of time I would have re-order in store. 

Poor Customer Service and they handle this is very bad. Oh well, perhaps I should go to Sprint.

And what the point of "4g" if they capped it at 2GB? Wouldn't you rather have 3G but unlimited data?

ATT if got my last name spell wrong on the account... Really tick off now...

If your an admin let me know your response. 

Re: iPhone 4S order cancelled!

2 of 24 (3,971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 3:58:42 PM
(0)
Professor
Limited data has nothing to do with 3G or 4G (the iPhone 4S really isn't 4G). They stopped unlimited data for new accounts over a year ago, just prior to the iPhone 4 release.
Limited data has nothing to do with 3G or 4G (the iPhone 4S really isn't 4G). They stopped unlimited data for new accounts over a year ago, just prior to the iPhone 4 release.

3 of 24 (3,909 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 6:12:13 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by jcharr1 on Oct 9, 2011 at 6:13:22 PM

This has happened to me four times in the last few days. I placed my preorder not long after preorders started on the 7th. It said the same thing for me at first that it was processing and it wasn't until I checked the order status page later that day that it showed it was cancelled. After several calls to both the credit card company and AT&T who each time said the order should go through ok, we keep getting emails saying they can't verify funds on the card, which is really werid since the card has been used fine at Amazon after the preorder was made. I'm starting to think that AT&T is intentionally cancelling my order on their end. Well, if AT&T doesn't want my money that badly, then so be it.

This has happened to me four times in the last few days. I placed my preorder not long after preorders started on the 7th. It said the same thing for me at first that it was processing and it wasn't until I checked the order status page later that day that it showed it was cancelled. After several calls to both the credit card company and AT&T who each time said the order should go through ok, we keep getting emails saying they can't verify funds on the card, which is really werid since the card has been used fine at Amazon after the preorder was made. I'm starting to think that AT&T is intentionally cancelling my order on their end. Well, if AT&T doesn't want my money that badly, then so be it.

[ Edited ]
4 of 24 (3,797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 6:56:24 PM
(0)
Mentor

Ouch that sucks if its indeed canceled -- this is the reason why I preordered from Apple (just incase AT&T screwed something up)

Ouch that sucks if its indeed canceled -- this is the reason why I preordered from Apple (just incase AT&T screwed something up)

5 of 24 (3,748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 6:58:30 PM
(0)
Voyager

I tried it through Apple first, but I got an error. So I tried it through AT&T and thought it went through ok there.

I tried it through Apple first, but I got an error. So I tried it through AT&T and thought it went through ok there.

6 of 24 (3,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 7:50:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

I also had a similar experience...

My timeiine...

- Friday, October 7 - 3:45 AM - Placed my order for two iPhone 4S phones

- Friday, October 7 - 7:30 AM - Received an email telling me that my order needed further information because the funds from my debit card could not be verified. Checked my bank account and saw a $1 pending transaction from AT&T

- Friday, October 7 - 8:30 AM - Called AT&T to find out more about my situation (took 2 hours on hold to get through). Rep attempted my card again and it went through fine. (Noticed that a second $1 pedning tranascation was on my bank acount)

He said my order will shipped as scheduled and I will receive an email when it ships.

- Saturday, October 8 - 7:00 AM - Checked both online and on the phone and the system said my order was in process and I would receive an email when it was shipped.

- Sunday, October 9 - 6:45 PM - Checked my order status and it said "Canceled"

- Sunday, October 9 - 6:50 PM - Called AT&T and they said my card did not have sufficent funds. I told her I already went through this on Friday and she said she would attempt the card again. It went through fine. She told me that it would take 3 hours for my status to update. 

- Sunday, October 9 - 7:15 PM - Checke dmy bank account and the full amount of the order was showed as a pending transaction (first time I have seen that).

- Sundday, October 9 - 7:20 PM - I get an email from AT&T telling me once again that my order is on hold because the funds are not available on my card.

- Sunday, October 9 - 7:25 PM - Talk to a AT&T Rep, explain everything. He checks and said eerything is fine and is scheduled to ship on Friday, October 15. Tells me I will get a email confirmation when it ships. 

- Saturday, October 9 - 10:00 PM - Check online order status and it shows my order is "In Progress" and shows that evey item I ordered is on backorder.

So I have no idea if I will get my phone at the end of this week. If I don't I may just switch to a company that wants my business and provides better customer service (not that I'm convinced that such a company exist).

If nothing else this is the first (and last) time I order an iPhone through AT&T. Will stick with Apple in the future.

My timeiine...

- Friday, October 7 - 7:30 AM - Received an email telling me that my order needed further information because the funds from my debit card could not be verified. Checked my bank account and saw a $1 pending transaction from AT&T

- Friday, October 7 - 8:30 AM - Called AT&T to find out more about my situation (took 2 hours on hold to get through). Rep attempted my card again and it went through fine. (Noticed that a second $1 pedning tranascation was on my bank acount)

He said my order will shipped as scheduled and I will receive an email when it ships.

- Saturday, October 8 - 7:00 AM - Checked both online and on the phone and the system said my order was in process and I would receive an email when it was shipped.

- Sunday, October 9 - 6:50 PM - Called AT&T and they said my card did not have sufficent funds. I told her I already went through this on Friday and she said she would attempt the card again. It went through fine. She told me that it would take 3 hours for my status to update. 

- Sunday, October 9 - 7:15 PM - Checke dmy bank account and the full amount of the order was showed as a pending transaction (first time I have seen that).

- Sundday, October 9 - 7:20 PM - I get an email from AT&T telling me once again that my order is on hold because the funds are not available on my card.

- Sunday, October 9 - 7:25 PM - Talk to a AT&T Rep, explain everything. He checks and said eerything is fine and is scheduled to ship on Friday, October 15. Tells me I will get a email confirmation when it ships. 

- Saturday, October 9 - 10:00 PM - Check online order status and it shows my order is "In Progress" and shows that evey item I ordered is on backorder.

So I have no idea if I will get my phone at the end of this week. If I don't I may just switch to a company that wants my business and provides better customer service (not that I'm convinced that such a company exist).

If nothing else this is the first (and last) time I order an iPhone through AT&T. Will stick with Apple in the future.

7 of 24 (3,683 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 7:57:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

I did get a call from Chase's fraud detection department about the orders, but that was quickly and easily addressed. A few simple questions and they were appeased. AT&T hasn't canceled the order (yet anyway).

I did get a call from Chase's fraud detection department about the orders, but that was quickly and easily addressed. A few simple questions and they were appeased. AT&T hasn't canceled the order (yet anyway).

8 of 24 (3,663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 7:59:52 PM
(0)
Tutor
I piad by debit card too. Also show a $1 hold. But that is stupid as i have more then enought in the bank. No matter what they should of inform me order was cancel not wait until i call in. Bad customer service.
I piad by debit card too. Also show a $1 hold. But that is stupid as i have more then enought in the bank. No matter what they should of inform me order was cancel not wait until i call in. Bad customer service.

9 of 24 (3,659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 8:06:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

Just a note - paying with a debit card is a BAD idea. They're secured a different way than credit cards, and you run into all sorts of problems if everything in the security process isn't exactly right / doesn't pass muster in verification.

Just a note - paying with a debit card is a BAD idea. They're secured a different way than credit cards, and you run into all sorts of problems if everything in the security process isn't exactly right / doesn't pass muster in verification.

10 of 24 (3,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 8:15:20 PM
(0)
Professor

btw23707 wrote:

My timeiine...

every one gerts a email saying backorder becuase AT&T does not have the phones yet. i did my upgrade for the Iphone4 lastyear thru apple. i was placed on a email waiting list and it took about a week to get my iphone 4. went to the apple store gave them my id and wireless number with in 15 minutes done wit ha activated iphone 4. i heard to many horror storys about AT&T with activation and slow shipping and messed up info...good luick hope you get your iphones 4S. sounds like you will if they took the money from your bank account.

btw23707 wrote:

My timeiine...

every one gerts a email saying backorder becuase AT&T does not have the phones yet. i did my upgrade for the Iphone4 lastyear thru apple. i was placed on a email waiting list and it took about a week to get my iphone 4. went to the apple store gave them my id and wireless number with in 15 minutes done wit ha activated iphone 4. i heard to many horror storys about AT&T with activation and slow shipping and messed up info...good luick hope you get your iphones 4S. sounds like you will if they took the money from your bank account.

hello!!!

11 of 24 (2,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 8:24:10 PM
(0)
Scholar

"backorder" is a weirdness of AT&T's order system. EVERY order is marked as backordered until it has shipped. That doesn't mean that the phones aren't sitting in an AT&T warehouse somewhere. It just means that AT&T hasn't slapped a tracking number on your phone yet. When they do, it will magically go from backordered to shipped (for the folks that are getting theirs shipped from AT&T anyway). The folks who are getting theirs shipped from Foxconn will take a bit longer to update.

Even after they issue a tracking number and it shows shipped, putting that tracking number into the carriers website won't show any progress until AT&T actually hands the box off to the shipper.

So you could concievably get a tracking number on Monday / Tuesday that won't get handed off to the shipper until Wednesday or Thursday.

You guys have really got to chill out. The phone will get there. Obsessively checking the order status and cross comparing with everybody else's status won't make it get there any faster.

"backorder" is a weirdness of AT&T's order system. EVERY order is marked as backordered until it has shipped. That doesn't mean that the phones aren't sitting in an AT&T warehouse somewhere. It just means that AT&T hasn't slapped a tracking number on your phone yet. When they do, it will magically go from backordered to shipped (for the folks that are getting theirs shipped from AT&T anyway). The folks who are getting theirs shipped from Foxconn will take a bit longer to update.

Even after they issue a tracking number and it shows shipped, putting that tracking number into the carriers website won't show any progress until AT&T actually hands the box off to the shipper.

So you could concievably get a tracking number on Monday / Tuesday that won't get handed off to the shipper until Wednesday or Thursday.

You guys have really got to chill out. The phone will get there. Obsessively checking the order status and cross comparing with everybody else's status won't make it get there any faster.

12 of 24 (2,014 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 9:06:23 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just got off a chat with an online rep. I had the same problem. Apparently you cannot have the iPhone 4S shipped to anything but your exact billing address. It's a security issue according to them. Even though their system didn't alert you or I to it while the order was being placed. However, the online support staff couldn't help reinstate the order. Which means that even though I placed the order about 8 hours after pre-ordering was available, and the original confirmation said I would get it on the 14th, now I have to wait 21-30 days for it to ship. Beyond absurd since their system created the problem. There was no warning anywhere about the shipping address needing to be the billing address. If that was the case, it shouldn't have let me enter my work address to ship the phone to.

I just got off a chat with an online rep. I had the same problem. Apparently you cannot have the iPhone 4S shipped to anything but your exact billing address. It's a security issue according to them. Even though their system didn't alert you or I to it while the order was being placed. However, the online support staff couldn't help reinstate the order. Which means that even though I placed the order about 8 hours after pre-ordering was available, and the original confirmation said I would get it on the 14th, now I have to wait 21-30 days for it to ship. Beyond absurd since their system created the problem. There was no warning anywhere about the shipping address needing to be the billing address. If that was the case, it shouldn't have let me enter my work address to ship the phone to.

13 of 24 (1,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 11:23:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

Same thing happened to me. I have been on the phone with AT&T all weekend and they will not help me. Claims my credit card wont authorize the charges but I called my credit company and they are approving the charges just fine. NOT HAPPY with the service I have received. Now I am going to have to attempt to get a phone at the store this weekend. Wish me luck!

Same thing happened to me. I have been on the phone with AT&T all weekend and they will not help me. Claims my credit card wont authorize the charges but I called my credit company and they are approving the charges just fine. NOT HAPPY with the service I have received. Now I am going to have to attempt to get a phone at the store this weekend. Wish me luck!

14 of 24 (1,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 12:20:19 PM
(0)
Mentor
You mind me asking which CC? I ask b/c I had this issue with American Express and did something to fix it
You mind me asking which CC? I ask b/c I had this issue with American Express and did something to fix it

15 of 24 (1,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 12:39:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm on the same boat as you. I will be sitting outside the evening (perhaps lunch time) of launch. I will never pay AT&T with a debit card again.

I'm on the same boat as you. I will be sitting outside the evening (perhaps lunch time) of launch. I will never pay AT&T with a debit card again.

16 of 24 (1,733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 12:40:35 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have Visa. I used a debit card though.
I have Visa. I used a debit card though.

17 of 24 (1,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 1:28:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

Gah! This just happened to me. Started a new thread before I thought to search and found this one.

Am on hold with Premier right now.

To say that I am annoyed with at&t right now would be a bit of an understatement...

Gah! This just happened to me. Started a new thread before I thought to search and found this one.

Am on hold with Premier right now.

To say that I am annoyed with at&t right now would be a bit of an understatement...

18 of 24 (1,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 8:08:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

I just went and started to place a new order and got to the checkout and find that they explicitly state that you can use a credit/debit card. This is completely contrary to what the manager I spoke with told me when I called. She told me that the absolutely never accept debit cards.

AT&T has the worst customer support I have ever encountered. How could they be so ill-prepared to deal with a situation that they had months to prepare for and have dealt with multiple times in the past?

I am disgusted and disappointed.

While I know that getting or not getting the iPhone of Friday is really meaningless, the fact that I was unable to place a simple order for a product and have at&t honor that order is obnoxious to the point of being unbelievable.

I just went and started to place a new order and got to the checkout and find that they explicitly state that you can use a credit/debit card. This is completely contrary to what the manager I spoke with told me when I called. She told me that the absolutely never accept debit cards.

AT&T has the worst customer support I have ever encountered. How could they be so ill-prepared to deal with a situation that they had months to prepare for and have dealt with multiple times in the past?

I am disgusted and disappointed.

While I know that getting or not getting the iPhone of Friday is really meaningless, the fact that I was unable to place a simple order for a product and have at&t honor that order is obnoxious to the point of being unbelievable.

19 of 24 (1,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 8:23:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

I used a Chase Visa credit card. I understand why they blocked it the first time (2 orders for the same amount minutes apart, makes sense why they did) Now AT&T is saying they are still declining my card when Chase says they are approving all of the charges. Every person i talk to at AT&T tells me something different-so frustrating! My order is cancelled now so Im out of luck until I see if the store has any left on my lunch break friday.

I used a Chase Visa credit card. I understand why they blocked it the first time (2 orders for the same amount minutes apart, makes sense why they did) Now AT&T is saying they are still declining my card when Chase says they are approving all of the charges. Every person i talk to at AT&T tells me something different-so frustrating! My order is cancelled now so Im out of luck until I see if the store has any left on my lunch break friday.

20 of 24 (1,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 9:24:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

i ordered an iphone 4 8gb on oct.6th and i havnt gotten an e mail with a tracking number yet...i checked my bank account this morning and the funds for the phone have been reversed...im a new customer to at&t and im not impressed at all and after reading all the blogs im getting worried. i have already spoken to 2 reps today and they keep saying nothing looks wrong..

i ordered an iphone 4 8gb on oct.6th and i havnt gotten an e mail with a tracking number yet...i checked my bank account this morning and the funds for the phone have been reversed...im a new customer to at&t and im not impressed at all and after reading all the blogs im getting worried. i have already spoken to 2 reps today and they keep saying nothing looks wrong..

21 of 24 (1,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 11:00:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

Mine was cancelled too!! I pre-ordered on apple.com at 4am on the 7th.  Everything was fine until Monday.  I get an email from Apple stating that AT&T cancelled my order becuase I made multiple orders on a single line.  I called AT&T first and they claimed that Apple cancelled the order stating "buyers remourse" as the reason.  I called Apple and they claim that AT&T cancelled it.  I went back and forth between both companies for hours Monday night and got no where!!!  I had to re-order the phone (so now I'm out another $300 because even now, 2 days later, I still don't have the refund for the first order).  Apple says they will try to honor my original delivery date of the 14th but I don't buy it.  The order status on Apple's website says "processing...delivers Oct 24-31"

In searching this issue on google, it looks like the same thing happened last year with the 4.

This is really stupid...I am REALLY REALLY MAD!!!!!!

Mine was cancelled too!! I pre-ordered on apple.com at 4am on the 7th.  Everything was fine until Monday.  I get an email from Apple stating that AT&T cancelled my order becuase I made multiple orders on a single line.  I called AT&T first and they claimed that Apple cancelled the order stating "buyers remourse" as the reason.  I called Apple and they claim that AT&T cancelled it.  I went back and forth between both companies for hours Monday night and got no where!!!  I had to re-order the phone (so now I'm out another $300 because even now, 2 days later, I still don't have the refund for the first order).  Apple says they will try to honor my original delivery date of the 14th but I don't buy it.  The order status on Apple's website says "processing...delivers Oct 24-31"

In searching this issue on google, it looks like the same thing happened last year with the 4.

This is really stupid...I am REALLY REALLY MAD!!!!!!

22 of 24 (1,424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 11:05:27 AM
(0)
Teacher

I wrote to at&t last night about the issue. They wrote back today saying that actually there was no issue with the debit card at all, and that the problem was the the credit check turned up a different SSN than the one I provided! Apparently the credit bureau had my number with one number changed. I have written back that that is not possible, and they have not yet responded.

Someone somewhere made a very strange sort of mistake.

This has been one big obnoxious mess.

I wrote to at&t last night about the issue. They wrote back today saying that actually there was no issue with the debit card at all, and that the problem was the the credit check turned up a different SSN than the one I provided! Apparently the credit bureau had my number with one number changed. I have written back that that is not possible, and they have not yet responded.

Someone somewhere made a very strange sort of mistake.

This has been one big obnoxious mess.

23 of 24 (1,420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 7:38:18 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same problem -- used a Chase Visa card -- they declined the two orders due to fraud detection (didn't find this out until four days after the order). Numerous calls to ATT Premier support -- not exactly Premier. At least as many explanations as calls -- to say nothing of the dropped calls while on hold -- dropped transfers and etc.

Even though Chase now says the card is "101%" ready to go -- ATT still says they "can't verify the credit card information" -- and the only apparent option to fix this is calling 866 499 8008.

On hold right now for about the fifth hour this week.

My hope is that someone (!) from ATT is reading these forums. If I could switch -- I would do so in a minute at this point. ATT's service operation makes a Soviet-style bureaucracy look efficient and productive!

They are all friendly though -- just not very helpful. Sigh.

Same problem -- used a Chase Visa card -- they declined the two orders due to fraud detection (didn't find this out until four days after the order). Numerous calls to ATT Premier support -- not exactly Premier. At least as many explanations as calls -- to say nothing of the dropped calls while on hold -- dropped transfers and etc.

Even though Chase now says the card is "101%" ready to go -- ATT still says they "can't verify the credit card information" -- and the only apparent option to fix this is calling 866 499 8008.

On hold right now for about the fifth hour this week.

My hope is that someone (!) from ATT is reading these forums. If I could switch -- I would do so in a minute at this point. ATT's service operation makes a Soviet-style bureaucracy look efficient and productive!

They are all friendly though -- just not very helpful. Sigh.

24 of 24 (1,286 Views)