iPhone 4S data plan different than other iPhones?

Mentor

iPhone 4S data plan different than other iPhones?

My husband and I switched iPhones with the help of an ATT store.( I ordered the 4S on his eligibility for me.)   Everything is working fine.  But when I went online to see the features available for our iPhones I noticed that on his iPhone 4 his data plan said iPhone 4S and on my iPhone 4S it said iphone 4!  It's the same plan (200MB @ 15$) so the cost is the same, but I wonder why there was this distinction?  I tried to check the right plan with the right phone and it won't let me giving me an error F931.  I tried calling CS and the guy just didn't get what I was trying to say and after 10 minutes of trying I just hung up.  Anyone here know what this difference in plans is or who can help me with it?

Message 1 of 8 (1,667 Views)

Re: iPhone 4S data plan different than other iPhones?

You said, " I ordered the 4S on his eligibility for me"...

From my understanding (and I hope this makes sense), you and your husband originally had an iPhone 4... but he was eligible to upgrade, so he now has an iPhone 4S (even if you are the one using it). Because of this upgrade, this makes his iPhone 4 data plan into an iPhone 4S data plan, regardless of the phone swap.

I have the Original iPhone and upgraded to the iPhone 4S. So the next bill would probably say Original iPhone to iPhone 4S data plan. That would be the distinction or explanation of my plan which would explain to me the $10 difference that I now have to add to the monthly bill. I'm grandfathered to the unlimited data plan and it never changed with the upgrade. Just a $10 increase/difference due to AT&T's data plan price changes.

Message 2 of 8 (1,642 Views)
Mentor

HelloKitty007 wrote:

You said, " I ordered the 4S on his eligibility for me"...

From my understanding (and I hope this makes sense), you and your husband originally had an iPhone 4... but he was eligible to upgrade, so he now has an iPhone 4S (even if you are the one using it). Because of this upgrade, this makes his iPhone 4 data plan into an iPhone 4S data plan, regardless of the phone swap.

I have the Original iPhone and upgraded to the iPhone 4S. So the next bill would probably say Original iPhone to iPhone 4S data plan. That would be the distinction or explanation of my plan which would explain to me the $10 difference that I now have to add to the monthly bill. I'm grandfathered to the unlimited data plan and it never changed with the upgrade. Just a $10 increase/difference due to AT&T's data plan price changes.

But there has never been this distinction before in iPhone Data Plans.  We've had iPHone 3, 3GS and 4 and they always just said iPhone Data Plan in the choices.  This time though there is a *NEW* titled plan called iPHone 4S!  My question is, why this distinction and is there a difference from the *OTHER* named iPhone plans?  Is it because of this supposed HSPA+ thing I wonder?  To clarify, there have always just been iPhone data plans.  Now there is an iPHone data plan 4S!

This is new.  WHY?  And why can't I change my iPhone 4S to this plan from my iPHone 4?

Message 3 of 8 (1,631 Views)
Mentor

There were seperate, unique data plans for the original iPhone.

There may be a different data plan for the 4S, but it's basically just setup on the back-end for AT&T, no different then any of the other smartphone data plans.

If the issue is that you have the 4S but your husbands account is listed as the 4S data plan, that leads me to believe the IMEI number for the phones does not match the line they are attached to.

Check your account and make sure the phone line and IMEI number match up.  I would not expect AT&T to allow a "4S" data plan on a line with a device that does not have the correct IMEI Number for a iPhone 4S.

If that's not the issue... then I'm not sure anyone understands what the problem is you are trying to rectify here.

Message 4 of 8 (1,628 Views)
Mentor

diesel_vdub wrote:

There were seperate, unique data plans for the original iPhone.

There may be a different data plan for the 4S, but it's basically just setup on the back-end for AT&T, no different then any of the other smartphone data plans.

If the issue is that you have the 4S but your husbands account is listed as the 4S data plan, that leads me to believe the IMEI number for the phones does not match the line they are attached to.

Check your account and make sure the phone line and IMEI number match up.  I would not expect AT&T to allow a "4S" data plan on a line with a device that does not have the correct IMEI Number for a iPhone 4S.

If that's not the issue... then I'm not sure anyone understands what the problem is you are trying to rectify here.

Well the guy at the ATT Store is the one who switched the phones for us so I would assume he also moved the IMEI Number but in any event, how would I check what IMEI number is assigned to what phone?

I guess I should just go back down to the ATT store and let them figure it out?

Message 5 of 8 (1,626 Views)

Dang...this is what I plan to do. I hope this all turns out okay.
Message 6 of 8 (1,435 Views)
ACE - Master

Check the coverage map for where you live to see if you have hspa+ coverage. If so, then check your download speed. If you are getting higher hspa+ download speeds, then nothing to worry about. If not, it may be because of the data plan.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 8 (1,399 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Yeah, it's not enough that ATT iPhone data plans are so expensive but now they changed the plans.

I have unlimited for 30.00.  Found on my bill today a 30.00 and 15.00 charge and then a 10.50 adjustment.  The FH with ATT couldn't tell me what the deal was.  I just upgraded my phone, I didn't change any features.  I have 30.00 unlimited data, period. 

They tried to sneak that one over on me.  HOW DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING TO GET AWAY WITH THIS????

I had to go google my question but  the 45.00 plan is unlimited data for iphone 4S Enterprise.

So now they are charging me separate for having my work which resides on a exchange server go to my phone?????

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????  I have 6 email accounts, who cares, that's why I'm paying 30.00 a month for unlimited data!!!!

I'm about fed up with ATT and I don't need the iPhone that badly. 

Message 8 of 8 (1,377 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.