Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 30, 2011
10:29:13 PM
View profile
iPhone 4S contract-free: how to unlock

Hi,

I bought contract-free iPhone 4s in BestBuy in late November 2011.

I want to use it abroad with local GSM carrier and local sim-card. But I can't do it because device is locked. (I know I had to buy it in Apple Store to have unlocked and contract-free but I did what I did.)

I called Apple and they said me that they couldn't unlock my device and adviced me to call AT&T.

I'm not an AT&T customer (I don't have a contract, see above) so I even can't have an official support.

Are there any options to unlock my iPhone by AT&T?

What options I have in order to use iPhone abroad (or in the United States, ok)?

Who is responsible for my device support?

Please advice. Thank you.

Max

Hi,

I want to use it abroad with local GSM carrier and local sim-card. But I can't do it because device is locked. (I know I had to buy it in Apple Store to have unlocked and contract-free but I did what I did.)

I called Apple and they said me that they couldn't unlock my device and adviced me to call AT&T.

I'm not an AT&T customer (I don't have a contract, see above) so I even can't have an official support.

What options I have in order to use iPhone abroad (or in the United States, ok)?

Please advice. Thank you.

Max

iPhone 4S contract-free: how to unlock

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 2:44:30 AM
(0)
Professor
Neither Apple nor AT&T will unlock a US iPhone. You'll have to either unlock it yourself, or return it, or sell it and buy an unlocked phone from Apple. The only thing AT&T can do for you is sell you service for your locked phone.

Apple in the US provided warranty service for US iPhones.
Neither Apple nor AT&T will unlock a US iPhone. You'll have to either unlock it yourself, or return it, or sell it and buy an unlocked phone from Apple. The only thing AT&T can do for you is sell you service for your locked phone.

Apple in the US provided warranty service for US iPhones.

Re: iPhone 4S contract-free: how to unlock

2 of 7 (5,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 3:58:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

mgalimov wrote:

Hi,

Return the device to BestBuy, it is still well within the return period.

mgalimov wrote:

No.  AT&T does not unlock iPhones for anyone for any reason.

mgalimov wrote:

AT&T International roaming service at a rather expensive rate for International.

AT&T service for in the US.

Since the device was purchased at full price, no contract is required but unless you have a credit history in the US, you will likely be required to place a deposit of $500 (possibly more).

mgalimov wrote:

What support?  Warranty support is only provided by Apple... as of now, based on the posting, there is no warranty issue.

mgalimov wrote:

Hi,

Return the device to BestBuy, it is still well within the return period.

mgalimov wrote:

No.  AT&T does not unlock iPhones for anyone for any reason.

mgalimov wrote:

AT&T International roaming service at a rather expensive rate for International.

AT&T service for in the US.

Since the device was purchased at full price, no contract is required but unless you have a credit history in the US, you will likely be required to place a deposit of $500 (possibly more).

mgalimov wrote:

What support?  Warranty support is only provided by Apple... as of now, based on the posting, there is no warranty issue.

3 of 7 (5,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 4:05:56 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by brainwaver on Dec 1, 2011 at 4:07:45 AM

If you knew you had to buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple but chose to go the route you did then you have no one to blame but yourself. This topic has been discussed TOO MANY times....Apple nor AT&T will unlock your iPhone. Purchasing an out-of-contract iPhone is different from purchasing an UNLOCKED iPhone. Follow dwill or Ryan's advise.

mgalimov wrote:

Hi,

If you knew you had to buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple but chose to go the route you did then you have no one to blame but yourself. This topic has been discussed TOO MANY times....Apple nor AT&T will unlock your iPhone. Purchasing an out-of-contract iPhone is different from purchasing an UNLOCKED iPhone. Follow dwill or Ryan's advise.

mgalimov wrote:

Hi,

[ Edited ]
4 of 7 (5,722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 6:48:44 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks to all. Will return to BestBuy.

Thanks to all. Will return to BestBuy.

5 of 7 (5,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 7:15:09 AM
(0)
Professor

You can buy unlocked iphones from Apple now.  But only Apple sells them, Best Buy and at&t will only sell locked phones.

You can buy unlocked iphones from Apple now.  But only Apple sells them, Best Buy and at&t will only sell locked phones.

6 of 7 (5,672 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 3:39:11 PM
(0)
Guru

brainwaver wrote:

mgalimov wrote:

Hi,

Was it really necessary for you to point out to OP that he had no one to blame but himself?  I mean, it's not as if OP was looking to point the blame at anyone else; you could have simply told him that neither Apple nor AT&T can or will unlock his phone and left it at that--it would have been all good at that point...but I guess you just had to make sure OP knew that he had only himself to blame for his predicament.  I think OP (now) realizes his mistake...no need for you to pour salt into the wound by informing him that it was his own fault.

brainwaver wrote:

mgalimov wrote:

Hi,

Was it really necessary for you to point out to OP that he had no one to blame but himself?  I mean, it's not as if OP was looking to point the blame at anyone else; you could have simply told him that neither Apple nor AT&T can or will unlock his phone and left it at that--it would have been all good at that point...but I guess you just had to make sure OP knew that he had only himself to blame for his predicament.  I think OP (now) realizes his mistake...no need for you to pour salt into the wound by informing him that it was his own fault.

7 of 7 (5,577 Views)