iPhone 4S and hspa+

Scholar

iPhone 4S and hspa+

I live in the Detroit area and AT&T claims they have hspa+ operating here.  My phone still says 3G, is there any way I can tell/prove I'm getting hspa+?

Message 1 of 7 (579 Views)
Scholar

Re: iPhone 4S and hspa+

No... only speeds will tell.  Unless and until Apple updates iOS to reflect something other than 3G for HSPA networks, it will only show 3G.

Message 2 of 7 (571 Views)

Not exactly, because chances are you never got close to the max download speed of HSPA. What you should see is faster overall downloads speeds, and faster speedtest results.

Message 3 of 7 (550 Views)
Scholar

Ryan_ATL wrote:

No... only speeds will tell.  Unless and until Apple updates iOS to reflect something other than 3G for HSPA networks, it will only show 3G.

Thanks, that's kinda what I thought.   I mostly use WiFi for the internet, will have to test speeds when I'm away from my home/work network.

Message 4 of 7 (527 Views)
Professor

You can simply turn off WiFi anytime you want to check your cell data speeds when you are in a WiFi area.
Message 5 of 7 (516 Views)
Master

I did not know that Detroit had a "4G" market? I guess AT&T is keeping their mouths shut about new system advancements unless they release more press releases...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 6 of 7 (419 Views)
Professor

I don't think that AT&T publicized HSPA+ coverage like they publicize LTE coverage. I guess HSPA+ isn't worth the marketing dollars.
Message 7 of 7 (409 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.