Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 19, 2011
12:56:55 PM
View profile
iPhone 4S - AT&T listed as 4G with HSPA+
Edited by amharl2r on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:04:18 PM

If you are thinking about the iPhone 4S, might I change your mind.  I have had the iPhone since the 3G, and have loved it every step of the way.  Now, AT&T has lied to everybody and said that the new iPhone 4S is faster, or atleast faster than the competitors.  I have speed tested my iPhone many times in the last few days (since I bought it), and have actually come up slower than my old iPhone 4.  My iPhone 4 was getting an average speed of 5+ Mb/s, while my new iPhone 4S is only receiving an average of 2.3 Mb/s (That is megaBITS per second, not bytes).  That is less than half the speed.  Now before everybody thinks this is nothing more than a bash post, I do have a question that AT&T needs to respond to.  Why do you list the iPhone on your website as 4G*, and HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul, while apple mentions nothing about it supporting HSPA+, and I have not seen the speeds to prove this?  Wouldn't you call this false advertising?  Now, before the marketing team recalls the webpage, makes corrections, and calls me a liar, I already took my screen shots, and submitted them to gizmodo, redmondpie.com, and other blog sites.  There is no back peddling out of this one.

If you are thinking about the iPhone 4S, might I change your mind.  I have had the iPhone since the 3G, and have loved it every step of the way.  Now, AT&T has lied to everybody and said that the new iPhone 4S is faster, or atleast faster than the competitors.  I have speed tested my iPhone many times in the last few days (since I bought it), and have actually come up slower than my old iPhone 4.  My iPhone 4 was getting an average speed of 5+ Mb/s, while my new iPhone 4S is only receiving an average of 2.3 Mb/s (That is megaBITS per second, not bytes).  That is less than half the speed.  Now before everybody thinks this is nothing more than a bash post, I do have a question that AT&T needs to respond to.  Why do you list the iPhone on your website as 4G*, and HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul, while apple mentions nothing about it supporting HSPA+, and I have not seen the speeds to prove this?  Wouldn't you call this false advertising?  Now, before the marketing team recalls the webpage, makes corrections, and calls me a liar, I already took my screen shots, and submitted them to gizmodo, redmondpie.com, and other blog sites.  There is no back peddling out of this one.

iPhone 4S - AT&T listed as 4G with HSPA+

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 1:05:12 PM
(0)
Master

Just wanted to point out here that AT&T's 4G network is not supported in all areas yet, which can explain why some of the 4S iPhones will be capable of getting HSPA+ speeds while others won't. Also, you can not fairly compare past speed tests on your old iPhone 4 with your new iPhone 4S "unless", you are testing the speed at the same exact time and location. Speed tests that are run though the various apps are not always a good indicator of the actual speeds that you are getting. I can run a speed test on my new iPhone 4S one minute and easily get 6.5+ Mbps, and get less that 4 Mbps the next minute.

Just wanted to point out here that AT&T's 4G network is not supported in all areas yet, which can explain why some of the 4S iPhones will be capable of getting HSPA+ speeds while others won't. Also, you can not fairly compare past speed tests on your old iPhone 4 with your new iPhone 4S "unless", you are testing the speed at the same exact time and location. Speed tests that are run though the various apps are not always a good indicator of the actual speeds that you are getting. I can run a speed test on my new iPhone 4S one minute and easily get 6.5+ Mbps, and get less that 4 Mbps the next minute.

Re: iPhone 4S - AT&T is misguiding you on speeds

2 of 8 (13,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 1:25:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

I completely understand what you are saying about the speed tests, and yes, I run them at the same time, same location, same app, with no WIFI.  It is not simply a few points in difference, it is like I said:   iPhone 4 Speed Test:  5+ Mb/s average.  iPhone 4S Speed Test:  2.3 (We will say 2-3)  Mb/s average.  These are not just based on one test, either.  I run atleast 50 tests, and never back to back.  This is over an 8 hour day at work, every 15 minutes, sometimes as much of a gap as 30 minutes.  But this is beside the point.  AT&T lists the iPhone 4S as a 4G device, and in the fine-print details says it is HSPA+, which the Apple website never mentions, the genius' at the store know nothing about, and Apple customer service is unaware of.

I completely understand what you are saying about the speed tests, and yes, I run them at the same time, same location, same app, with no WIFI.  It is not simply a few points in difference, it is like I said:   iPhone 4 Speed Test:  5+ Mb/s average.  iPhone 4S Speed Test:  2.3 (We will say 2-3)  Mb/s average.  These are not just based on one test, either.  I run atleast 50 tests, and never back to back.  This is over an 8 hour day at work, every 15 minutes, sometimes as much of a gap as 30 minutes.  But this is beside the point.  AT&T lists the iPhone 4S as a 4G device, and in the fine-print details says it is HSPA+, which the Apple website never mentions, the genius' at the store know nothing about, and Apple customer service is unaware of.

3 of 8 (13,694 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 5:14:46 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by thively on Oct 20, 2011 at 5:16:12 PM

Interesting. I'm actually seeing better performance on my iPhone 4S than I did with the iPhone 4.  I have never noticed slow speeds.

Interesting. I'm actually seeing better performance on my iPhone 4S than I did with the iPhone 4.  I have never noticed slow speeds.

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (13,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2011 5:59:52 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ShaunMN on Nov 29, 2011 at 7:11:53 PM

Yesterday, I was told by a local (New Orleans, LA) that the 4S, because of HSPA+, is like 3.5G and NOT 4G. Tonight, I called AT&T and was informed that I am not in 4G mode because of a tower problem. I would like to believe the Customer service rep on the phone[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].  They are clearly advertising on the website that the 4S is 4G!

Yesterday, I was told by a local (New Orleans, LA) that the 4S, because of HSPA+, is like 3.5G and NOT 4G. Tonight, I called AT&T and was informed that I am not in 4G mode because of a tower problem. I would like to believe the Customer service rep on the phone[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].  They are clearly advertising on the website that the 4S is 4G!

Re: iPhone 4S - AT&T listed as 4G with HSPA+

[ Edited ]
5 of 8 (11,649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 9:32:15 PM
(0)
Guru

Perhaps something is either wrong with your phone, or with the tower you are using. Many of the tech blogs reported FASTER speeds with the 4S. Trying running your speed tests in a different location.

amharl2r wrote:

Perhaps something is either wrong with your phone, or with the tower you are using. Many of the tech blogs reported FASTER speeds with the 4S. Trying running your speed tests in a different location.

amharl2r wrote:

6 of 8 (11,520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 9:33:58 PM
(0)
Guru

The ITU, or International Telecommunications Union, the body that provides oversight of the "G" standards for cellular technology, decided that HSPA+ would be included in their umbrella of 4G technologies. 

EricB768 wrote:

The ITU, or International Telecommunications Union, the body that provides oversight of the "G" standards for cellular technology, decided that HSPA+ would be included in their umbrella of 4G technologies. 

EricB768 wrote:

7 of 8 (11,518 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 12:25:52 PM
(0)
Guru

Ah...but it is listed on the Apple web site.  Apple just lists it differently than AT&T.  The Apple web site states that the 4s supports HSDPA/HSUPA.  AT&T states it as HSPA+.

Which one is correct?  They both are.  HSDPA is High-Speed Downlink Packet Access and HSUPA is High-Speed Uplink Access.  HSDPA is the data coming down to your phone, and HSUPA is the data leaving your phone.  If a carrier states that their network is HSPA+, this means that they have both HSDPA and HSUPA implemented on their network.  It is possible for a network to have one implemented and not the other.  At one time AT&T only had HSDPA implemented, and they added HSUPA at a later time.  It does make it a little confusing when one site states HSDPA/HSUPA and the other site states HSPA+, especially if you don't know what it all means.

If you're not seeing the speeds you're expecting it could be due to a variety of reasons.  There might be something wrong with your phone, there might be a tower issue in your area, you might not be in a 4G area (it's not nationwide, and is only in certain locations at the moment), signal strength can affect speeds, or several other things.

Ah...but it is listed on the Apple web site.  Apple just lists it differently than AT&T.  The Apple web site states that the 4s supports HSDPA/HSUPA.  AT&T states it as HSPA+.

Which one is correct?  They both are.  HSDPA is High-Speed Downlink Packet Access and HSUPA is High-Speed Uplink Access.  HSDPA is the data coming down to your phone, and HSUPA is the data leaving your phone.  If a carrier states that their network is HSPA+, this means that they have both HSDPA and HSUPA implemented on their network.  It is possible for a network to have one implemented and not the other.  At one time AT&T only had HSDPA implemented, and they added HSUPA at a later time.  It does make it a little confusing when one site states HSDPA/HSUPA and the other site states HSPA+, especially if you don't know what it all means.

If you're not seeing the speeds you're expecting it could be due to a variety of reasons.  There might be something wrong with your phone, there might be a tower issue in your area, you might not be in a 4G area (it's not nationwide, and is only in certain locations at the moment), signal strength can affect speeds, or several other things.

8 of 8 (11,393 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments