iPhone 4S 3G connection problem

Teacher

iPhone 4S 3G connection problem

About a week and a half ago, me and my wife were out at a store and both of phones lost service at the exact same time. She was inside the store and I was in the parking lot. The phones then went into a cycle of 45 seconds of full 3G signal and then 20 seconds of "Searching..." for signal. It was a true total loss of signal, no calls or data during that time. 

I've contacted AT&T several times. They have claimed it was tower problems... It has happened over an area of 30 miles. They have claimed it was my SIM card... It has been replaced twice. They have claimed it was my iPhone 4S... It has been replaced. The issue is still happening. Supposedly the case has been elevated to engineering but I have yet to hear anything from them even after attempting to contact them and get some answers.

I have found two temporary workarounds. If I turn off Cellular Data the phones will stay connected. I just won't have any mobile data. If I swap our SIM cards and then swap them back, the phones work correctly for about a day and a half. Then they lock up and require a hard reset and start the cycle again.

I have about had it dealing with AT&T on this issue. 

Message 1 of 18 (7,996 Views)

Re: iPhone 4S 3G connection problem

yep i am having the same issue on 2 of my 4s's and my iphone 4 is streaming video with no interuptions right next to my useless 4s's

Message 2 of 18 (7,959 Views)
Tutor

I too am having the same problem, I have had my sim card replaced twice and the phone replace once. This is becoming very frustrating and I am not sure how to proceed at this point. I have another appt. with apple tonight, and I am hoping to get a better solution with some answers.

Message 3 of 18 (7,956 Views)
Teacher

I am having the same problem - talking to Apple tonight

Message 4 of 18 (7,892 Views)
Master

Are you all in the same area?  If so, could be the network.  If not, keep after Apple until they replace your iPhone with a working unit.  They may have some Quality control issues with their contractor.  www.apple.com/retail

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 18 (7,883 Views)
Teacher

The issue is happening any where I go. I looked and found diagnostics under Settings->General->About and it looks as though the Baseband firmware is crashing. Not sure why or how to fix it, but that is the root of this problem. When the baseband crashes is loses connection and then connects back when the baseband comes back to life. if you are in settings at just the right time, you'll see a new "Carrier" option come up and if you click on it you can turn Automatic Carrier selection on or off. It doesn't do anything but it is a result of the baseband crashing and not knowing what network to connect to.

Message 6 of 18 (7,830 Views)
Tutor

I went back to apple last night and the guy at apple said that he has never seen anything like this happen before. When I explained to him that this is the 2nd 4s that this happened to me on he was even more baffled. He gave me another phone and once again assured me that this problem would be escalated to higher level. I pray that this phone doesn't do the same thing. Im leary to even use it at this point. My husband got a 4s the same day as me and has had no problems at all.

Message 7 of 18 (7,808 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

I went to Settings->General->Reset and did "Erase All Content and Settings". After it got done and I was setting the phone back up, the phone had to re-activate itself. I restored from my iCloud backup and its been running fine for an hour. Hopefully it will stay like this.

I will repost if anything changes.

Message 8 of 18 (7,792 Views)
Contributor

It is not a local issue, the same is happening to me here in Mexico. The first months works perfectly but 4-days ago started showing "no bars", "bars but not able to perform a call", "Unknown SIM", I have pictured all this as evidence for apple/retailer store but now I can see that changing the equipment is not the solution, I presumed this started once I download iOS 5.01 so maybe in the next one will be fixed.

Message 9 of 18 (7,595 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

I have experienced the same failure to obtain the cellular data connection needed for anything requiring internet access on the iPhone 4S.  Here are the instructions I was provided by Apple Express Lane support:

Go to Settings/General/Network - confirm you have Cellular Data set to On

Go to Settings/Reset and select Reset Network Settings

Wait for phone to restart and regain a connection to the ATT network

This succeeded in restoring the phone's cellular data connection.  It remains to be seen whether it loses the connection again, because needing to redo this regularly just to keep a reliable connection would not be acceptable.

Message 10 of 18 (7,036 Views)
Contributor

I'm just glad to hear my wife and I are not the only ones this is happening too. we ended up having to return our phones because we were ending up going to either att or apple everynight to get this fixed. I have found that apple has made tweaks to ios 5.1 to help the connection issue. from what i read online, you have to do a factory restore which will erase everything and set the phone back to 5.0. then restart everything and reupdate to 5.1. from what they said the seed number should change but it will still say 5.1. like i said, we returned ours so i can't try it. it's just something i found on twitter from @iphone_news

hope this helps!

Message 11 of 18 (5,951 Views)
Professor

A restore won't reset the iPhone to an earlier iOS. If you do a restore on a iPhone that has 5.1 on it, it will still be 5.1 after the restore.
Message 12 of 18 (5,948 Views)
Contributor

You can download the IPSW files to restore from from all over the internet (a quick search for iPhone 4S 5.0 IPSW download can prove that).

If you hold SHIFT when you click restore from your iPhone screen in iTunes it will let you choose what IPSW to restore from.

Message 13 of 18 (5,672 Views)
Contributor

This problem showed up on my iPhone 4 a few days ago.  Nothing I've tried fixes it.  Like the OP, I have to turn off Cellular Data. Smiley Sad

Message 14 of 18 (5,474 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was in Safeway trying to select a lettuce for my friend that takes blood thinners for a-fib.  She needs a low vitamin K lettuce.  Unfortunately Safeway uses a jammer to block using the ATT data network.  Not only that the jammer is of such high power it seems to reset the network reset command in the 4S.  I had to take a trip within a half an hour from San Jose to S. California so no time to trouble shoot the phone so no maps to find my way and no way to check my e-mail with ATT.  When I got back I came across the network reset command on this forum.  It would appear that the jammer is in violation of FCC rules or that the iPhone is unusually susceptible to high RF fields. 

Others that note they are losing the network might check to see if the signal strength meter is full scale and they are in or near a store that the jammer might be emanating from.

Meanwhile I left a text message blaming ATT for shutting down my data.  Sorry, this time it wasn't your fault, my apologies. 

Message 15 of 18 (5,431 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.