Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 14, 2011
7:31:59 PM
View profile
iPhone 4S - 2G devices are not compatible with MicroCell

I keep getting this message:

[FTC-VFW2: Notice: 2G devices are not compatible with MicroCell. Please confirm the below number in bold is associated with a 3G or 4G device and then continue with your request.] 

So I unplug the microcell, disconnect from att.com website, turn off/turn on iphone 4s wireless,  connect, get text from ATT saying "congratulations microcell activated blah blah...." and I get the microcell five bars on my new phone.  However, still getting same message on "manage microcell devices"

[FTC-VFW2: Notice: 2G devices are not compatible with MicroCell. Please confirm the below number in bold is associated with a 3G or 4G device and then continue with your request.] 

Noticed a phone call was garbled, like a low signal strength call, yet I got five bars with microcell.  Called ATT "we are experiencing high call volumes..." hung up.

I keep getting this message:

So I unplug the microcell, disconnect from att.com website, turn off/turn on iphone 4s wireless,  connect, get text from ATT saying "congratulations microcell activated blah blah...." and I get the microcell five bars on my new phone.  However, still getting same message on "manage microcell devices"

Noticed a phone call was garbled, like a low signal strength call, yet I got five bars with microcell.  Called ATT "we are experiencing high call volumes..." hung up.

iPhone 4S - 2G devices are not compatible with MicroCell

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 4:22:34 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Jay A whY on Oct 15, 2011 at 4:27:33 AM

I am getting the same error..

iPhone 4S was purchased on my wife's line and acitvated. Gave her my iPhone 4 and used the 4S with my sim.. Had to have AT&T register the 4S on my account, I wonder if the back end is setup correctly.

1) Restored iPhone 4S

2) Re-registered my 3G Microcell, activated w/ no issues

Still same results..

Going to try more trouble-shooting steps after I get of work.. I wonder if a new sim from AT&T would help? I'll post any new results later..

I am getting the same error..

iPhone 4S was purchased on my wife's line and acitvated. Gave her my iPhone 4 and used the 4S with my sim.. Had to have AT&T register the 4S on my account, I wonder if the back end is setup correctly.

1) Restored iPhone 4S

2) Re-registered my 3G Microcell, activated w/ no issues

Still same results..

Going to try more trouble-shooting steps after I get of work.. I wonder if a new sim from AT&T would help? I'll post any new results later..

Re: iPhone 4S - 2G devices are not compatible with MicroCell

[ Edited ]
2 of 10 (1,921 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 7:55:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same problem here. Disconectting/reconnecting power, deactivating/reactivating online, reset button, etc have no effect.

Same problem here. Disconectting/reconnecting power, deactivating/reactivating online, reset button, etc have no effect.

3 of 10 (1,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 11:46:00 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same problem here, with the added problem that a iPhone 4 not an S won't come up on the Microcell either. I spent a while in online chat and on the phone with AT&T support. I first contacted them Sunday and was told it should be fixed by the 19th. Nothing you do in the trouble shooting will fix the problem. The gentleman helping me told me it's been escalated to senior network engineers. My un-educated guess is that the 4s was not added to the Microcell acceptable phone list and that it clearly was not tested prior to the phone release. This puts me in a lousy position because we have no regular cell coverage in my home.

Same problem here, with the added problem that a iPhone 4 not an S won't come up on the Microcell either. I spent a while in online chat and on the phone with AT&T support. I first contacted them Sunday and was told it should be fixed by the 19th. Nothing you do in the trouble shooting will fix the problem. The gentleman helping me told me it's been escalated to senior network engineers. My un-educated guess is that the 4s was not added to the Microcell acceptable phone list and that it clearly was not tested prior to the phone release. This puts me in a lousy position because we have no regular cell coverage in my home.

4 of 10 (1,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 1:26:19 PM
(0)
Guru

The couple of people I know who are here on Long Island, have a Microcell, and got a 4S have had no trouble with the 4S connecting to the MC.

Once again the Microcell works in mysterious ways.  As with all Microcell problems I read about that some have and some don't, I wonder if this issue is related to geographical area.

The couple of people I know who are here on Long Island, have a Microcell, and got a 4S have had no trouble with the 4S connecting to the MC.

Once again the Microcell works in mysterious ways.  As with all Microcell problems I read about that some have and some don't, I wonder if this issue is related to geographical area.

5 of 10 (1,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 7:20:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

Past couple of days the microcell signal comes and goes, only 10 feet away.  A phone call works fine once, then next call I get "call failed" or the caller says "hello?  I lost you."

Past couple of days the microcell signal comes and goes, only 10 feet away.  A phone call works fine once, then next call I get "call failed" or the caller says "hello?  I lost you."

6 of 10 (1,657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 8:50:49 AM
(0)
Contributor
SOLUTION: well more of a bandage...

I switched my phone in the att settings to a iPhone 4 and it works great!!!!
SOLUTION: well more of a bandage...

I switched my phone in the att settings to a iPhone 4 and it works great!!!!

7 of 10 (1,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 3:21:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

What do you mean?

"I switched my phone in the att settings to a iPhone 4 and it works great!!!!"

How did you do this?  ???

What do you mean?

"I switched my phone in the att settings to a iPhone 4 and it works great!!!!"

How did you do this?  ???

8 of 10 (1,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 10:36:44 AM
(0)
Guru

I get those error messages too, but I never had a problem with the iPhone 4S working.

Just register the phone number in the m-cell.  Ignore the warning.

Wait a little while.  Turn airplane mode on for 15 seconds then back off a few times.  or do settigns>general>reset network settings.  Eventually it'll work.

I get those error messages too, but I never had a problem with the iPhone 4S working.

Just register the phone number in the m-cell.  Ignore the warning.

Wait a little while.  Turn airplane mode on for 15 seconds then back off a few times.  or do settigns>general>reset network settings.  Eventually it'll work.

9 of 10 (1,203 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 8:04:44 AM
(0)
Tutor
Yes, please tell us how you can change it to an IPhone 4?
Yes, please tell us how you can change it to an IPhone 4?

10 of 10 (1,090 Views)