iPhone 4G?

Highlighted
Scholar

iPhone 4G?

My sister's friend works in an Apple store an he insists that there's an iPhone 4G being released this Summer; the only thing I've heard is an update for iPhone 3G owners. Will this update include video recording and the is 4G still just a rumor?

Thanks!

70,435 Views
Message 1 of 17

Re: iPhone 4G?


blooberri wrote:

My sister's friend works in an Apple store an he insists that there's an iPhone 4G being released this Summer; the only thing I've heard is an update for iPhone 3G owners. Will this update include video recording and the is 4G still just a rumor?

Thanks!




Yes the 3.0 update will have video and the 4G iphone is a rumor but everyone sees it coming out this summer(June/July)
Message 2 of 17
Scholar

Re: iPhone 4G?


DarkestHour00 wrote:

Yes the 3.0 update will have video and the 4G iphone is a rumor but everyone sees it coming out this summer(June/July)


If you get a phone thats 4G and only 3G still exists then the phone wont do you any good other than just running on 3G. The phone wont be able to find what the network doesn't support. At this time i haven't heard "Yet" that anyone is coming out with 4G.

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 17
Master

Re: iPhone 4G?

Your sister's friend likely knows as much about a yet-to-be released iPhone as he does about who's going to win in the 4th race at the track today.  Apple is notoriously tight-lipped about disseminating data before they are ready to.

 

Now, a bit of clarification.  A 4G iPhone will NOT be coming out this summer.  A third-generation iPhone (iPhone version 3) very well may be released this summer.  The current 3G iPhone is the second-generation iPhone (iPhone version 2), coming on the heels of the original iPhone.  The major difference between these two phones was the support for AT&T's UMTS network (third-generation cellular technology, or 3G).  If another iPhone comes out, it will probably sport more memory, a faster processor, and more powerful graphics chip (GPU).

 

AT&T will be migrating to next-generation cellular technology starting in the next year or so, but it is unlikely we'll see any phones supporting that technology until next spring/summer at the earliest.  That technology is called LTE, and there is some debate as to whether it's true fourth generation (4G) technology since it is an extension of the current UMTS technology.

Message 4 of 17
Master

Re: iPhone 4G?

There is definately a new iPhone coming this summer.  All the signs from the suppliers are there.  What is unknown is what Apple will call it.  (iPhone 3G Pro, iPhone 4g?) They are expected to announce it at their WWDC in May/June.  At that time they should also be announcing the availablity date.

 

 

_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 17
Master

Re: iPhone 4G?

Until they make an announcement, it's all speculation.  Yes, I believe there is a new phone coming out this summer, but I consider it vaporware until I see an official annoucement from Apple. 

 

I can reasonably certainly predict, however, that it will not be called the iPhone 4G.  It will not support LTE, the 4G/3.5G technology AT&T will be migrating to, since AT&T isn't even close to deploying it.  What will it be called?  Who knows?  Perhaps they'll standardize the hardware name with the OS name, and call it the iPhone 3.0.  It wouldn't be the first time a mobile platform was renamed (Pocket PC/Windows Mobile).

 


youngjm wrote:

There is definately a new iPhone coming this summer.  All the signs from the suppliers are there.  What is unknown is what Apple will call it.  (iPhone 3G Pro, iPhone 4g?) They are expected to announce it at their WWDC in May/June.  At that time they should also be announcing the availablity date.

 

 


 

 

Message 6 of 17

Re: iPhone 4G?

When I say 4G I was talking about the next iPhone not 4G technology sorry for the confusion
Message 7 of 17
Master

Re: iPhone 4G?

I think it would make more sense if we had version numbers.

Original iPhone (v1)

iPhone 3G (v2)

Next iPhone (v3)

 

So we have iPhone(v1), iPhone(v2), iPhone (v3) etc etc as long as they are released.  No more trying to call them by their network compatability which does not work.

Message 8 of 17
Professor

Re: iPhone 4G?

iPhone 3G Pro or iPhone HD are my guesses

Message 9 of 17
Tutor

Re: iPhone 4G?

Apple does not use the version label though for it's hardware.  They use the "G" for "generation".    Consequently, people confuse the telecom 3G moniker with the apple generation label for the iphone. 

 

So the Apple iPhone 2G uses the 3G network and the next iPhone to come out will be the third generation iPhone.  Confusing to alot of people.  

Message 10 of 17
Master

Re: iPhone 4G?

Apple uses a consistent nomenclature for all their products, but that naming convention doesn't make a lot of sense to anyone else.  As far as revisions go, the original iPhone was 1,1.  The 3G iPhone was 1,2.  An analytics tool turned up a device that identified itself as iPhone 2,1 in the wild, which caused speculation that a testing model of a new iPhone was in use. 

 

If anything, I think Apple will want to align the naming convention of the hardware with the naming convention of the software with this latest model, and the device will be called iPhone 3.0.  I doubt they'll use anything like Pro or HD as a suffix to the iPhone name, as that's how HTC names their phones and Apple doesn't like to follow anyone else's lead.

Message 11 of 17
Professor

Re: iPhone 4G?


BrianfromNO wrote:

Apple uses a consistent nomenclature for all their products, but that naming convention doesn't make a lot of sense to anyone else.  As far as revisions go, the original iPhone was 1,1.  The 3G iPhone was 1,2.  An analytics tool turned up a device that identified itself as iPhone 2,1 in the wild, which caused speculation that a testing model of a new iPhone was in use. 

 

If anything, I think Apple will want to align the naming convention of the hardware with the naming convention of the software with this latest model, and the device will be called iPhone 3.0.  I doubt they'll use anything like Pro or HD as a suffix to the iPhone name, as that's how HTC names their phones and Apple doesn't like to follow anyone else's lead.


 

If they name it like a iPod you may be correct, if they name it like a "computer in your pocket" then Pro is fitting! MacBook Pro, Mac Pro ect.... Apple has used the "Pro" for Apple high end products long before HTC has Smiley Wink
Message 12 of 17
Master

Re: iPhone 4G?

But that's how Apple differentiates its "mass consumer" line from its professional/prosumer models which are sold simultaneously.  The iPhone Pro or HD moniker only makes sense if they plan to continue selling the iPhone 3G as a lower tier model while selling a new model with hypothetically more robust hardware and greater storage capacity as a high-end product.  I don't think that's going to happen, because in the end it's still a phone.  Nobody's going to buy an iPhone Pro so they can render HD movies or manipulate high megapixel images on it.  I predict supplies of the iPhone 3G will start to get tight in advance of Apple's WWDC, and then it'll be a fire sale to clear out remaining inventory and refurbs.

 


Demetri70 wrote:

 

If they name it like a iPod you may be correct, if they name it like a "computer in your pocket" then Pro is fitting! MacBook Pro, Mac Pro ect.... Apple has used the "Pro" for Apple high end products long before HTC has Smiley Wink

 

 

Message 13 of 17
Professor

Re: iPhone 4G?

It will be interesting to see what Apple does, Apple should have called the 3G iPhone~~~~iPhone 2.0 and the new one iPhone 3.0 ect.Instead of naming it after a feature they added (3G) that sounds a lot like a iPhone 3rd Generation that they already use on there iPods. I see your point and you may very well be correct, I figured they would just update the iPhone 3G  with the improved OS/features and offer a higher end "pro" model until AT&T has there "4G network" ready...
Message 14 of 17
Contributor

Re: iPhone 4G?

Thank you for posting that. It should clear up some confusion.
Message 15 of 17
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Additional Support