Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Apr 23, 2009
11:17:22 PM
View profile
iPhone 4G?

My sister's friend works in an Apple store an he insists that there's an iPhone 4G being released this Summer; the only thing I've heard is an update for iPhone 3G owners. Will this update include video recording and the is 4G still just a rumor?

Thanks!

My sister's friend works in an Apple store an he insists that there's an iPhone 4G being released this Summer; the only thing I've heard is an update for iPhone 3G owners. Will this update include video recording and the is 4G still just a rumor?

Thanks!

iPhone 4G?

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2009 11:30:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

blooberri wrote:

Thanks!

Yes the 3.0 update will have video and the 4G iphone is a rumor but everyone sees it coming out this summer(June/July)

blooberri wrote:

Thanks!

Yes the 3.0 update will have video and the 4G iphone is a rumor but everyone sees it coming out this summer(June/July)

Re: iPhone 4G?

2 of 17 (70,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2009 4:27:18 AM
(0)
Scholar

DarkestHour00 wrote:

If you get a phone thats 4G and only 3G still exists then the phone wont do you any good other than just running on 3G. The phone wont be able to find what the network doesn't support. At this time i haven't heard "Yet" that anyone is coming out with 4G.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

DarkestHour00 wrote:

If you get a phone thats 4G and only 3G still exists then the phone wont do you any good other than just running on 3G. The phone wont be able to find what the network doesn't support. At this time i haven't heard "Yet" that anyone is coming out with 4G.

3 of 17 (70,333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2009 6:15:41 AM
(0)
Master

Your sister's friend likely knows as much about a yet-to-be released iPhone as he does about who's going to win in the 4th race at the track today.  Apple is notoriously tight-lipped about disseminating data before they are ready to.

Now, a bit of clarification.  A 4G iPhone will NOT be coming out this summer.  A third-generation iPhone (iPhone version 3) very well may be released this summer.  The current 3G iPhone is the second-generation iPhone (iPhone version 2), coming on the heels of the original iPhone.  The major difference between these two phones was the support for AT&T's UMTS network (third-generation cellular technology, or 3G).  If another iPhone comes out, it will probably sport more memory, a faster processor, and more powerful graphics chip (GPU).

AT&T will be migrating to next-generation cellular technology starting in the next year or so, but it is unlikely we'll see any phones supporting that technology until next spring/summer at the earliest.  That technology is called LTE, and there is some debate as to whether it's true fourth generation (4G) technology since it is an extension of the current UMTS technology.

Your sister's friend likely knows as much about a yet-to-be released iPhone as he does about who's going to win in the 4th race at the track today.  Apple is notoriously tight-lipped about disseminating data before they are ready to.

Now, a bit of clarification.  A 4G iPhone will NOT be coming out this summer.  A third-generation iPhone (iPhone version 3) very well may be released this summer.  The current 3G iPhone is the second-generation iPhone (iPhone version 2), coming on the heels of the original iPhone.  The major difference between these two phones was the support for AT&T's UMTS network (third-generation cellular technology, or 3G).  If another iPhone comes out, it will probably sport more memory, a faster processor, and more powerful graphics chip (GPU).

AT&T will be migrating to next-generation cellular technology starting in the next year or so, but it is unlikely we'll see any phones supporting that technology until next spring/summer at the earliest.  That technology is called LTE, and there is some debate as to whether it's true fourth generation (4G) technology since it is an extension of the current UMTS technology.

4 of 17 (70,306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2009 6:29:35 AM
(0)
Master

There is definately a new iPhone coming this summer.  All the signs from the suppliers are there.  What is unknown is what Apple will call it.  (iPhone 3G Pro, iPhone 4g?) They are expected to announce it at their WWDC in May/June.  At that time they should also be announcing the availablity date.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

There is definately a new iPhone coming this summer.  All the signs from the suppliers are there.  What is unknown is what Apple will call it.  (iPhone 3G Pro, iPhone 4g?) They are expected to announce it at their WWDC in May/June.  At that time they should also be announcing the availablity date.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 17 (70,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2009 7:54:45 AM
(0)
Master

Until they make an announcement, it's all speculation.  Yes, I believe there is a new phone coming out this summer, but I consider it vaporware until I see an official annoucement from Apple. 

I can reasonably certainly predict, however, that it will not be called the iPhone 4G.  It will not support LTE, the 4G/3.5G technology AT&T will be migrating to, since AT&T isn't even close to deploying it.  What will it be called?  Who knows?  Perhaps they'll standardize the hardware name with the OS name, and call it the iPhone 3.0.  It wouldn't be the first time a mobile platform was renamed (Pocket PC/Windows Mobile).

youngjm wrote:

Until they make an announcement, it's all speculation.  Yes, I believe there is a new phone coming out this summer, but I consider it vaporware until I see an official annoucement from Apple. 

I can reasonably certainly predict, however, that it will not be called the iPhone 4G.  It will not support LTE, the 4G/3.5G technology AT&T will be migrating to, since AT&T isn't even close to deploying it.  What will it be called?  Who knows?  Perhaps they'll standardize the hardware name with the OS name, and call it the iPhone 3.0.  It wouldn't be the first time a mobile platform was renamed (Pocket PC/Windows Mobile).

youngjm wrote:

6 of 17 (70,282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2009 4:41:12 PM
(0)
Scholar
When I say 4G I was talking about the next iPhone not 4G technology sorry for the confusion
When I say 4G I was talking about the next iPhone not 4G technology sorry for the confusion

7 of 17 (70,177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2009 4:51:53 PM
(0)
Master

I think it would make more sense if we had version numbers.

Original iPhone (v1)

iPhone 3G (v2)

Next iPhone (v3)

So we have iPhone(v1), iPhone(v2), iPhone (v3) etc etc as long as they are released.  No more trying to call them by their network compatability which does not work.

I think it would make more sense if we had version numbers.

Original iPhone (v1)

iPhone 3G (v2)

Next iPhone (v3)

So we have iPhone(v1), iPhone(v2), iPhone (v3) etc etc as long as they are released.  No more trying to call them by their network compatability which does not work.

8 of 17 (70,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2009 10:23:49 PM
(0)
Professor

iPhone 3G Pro or iPhone HD are my guesses

iPhone 3G Pro or iPhone HD are my guesses

9 of 17 (70,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2009 5:53:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

Apple does not use the version label though for it's hardware.  They use the "G" for "generation".    Consequently, people confuse the telecom 3G moniker with the apple generation label for the iphone. 

So the Apple iPhone 2G uses the 3G network and the next iPhone to come out will be the third generation iPhone.  Confusing to alot of people.  

Apple does not use the version label though for it's hardware.  They use the "G" for "generation".    Consequently, people confuse the telecom 3G moniker with the apple generation label for the iphone. 

So the Apple iPhone 2G uses the 3G network and the next iPhone to come out will be the third generation iPhone.  Confusing to alot of people.  

10 of 17 (70,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2009 5:44:33 AM
(0)
Master

Apple uses a consistent nomenclature for all their products, but that naming convention doesn't make a lot of sense to anyone else.  As far as revisions go, the original iPhone was 1,1.  The 3G iPhone was 1,2.  An analytics tool turned up a device that identified itself as iPhone 2,1 in the wild, which caused speculation that a testing model of a new iPhone was in use. 

If anything, I think Apple will want to align the naming convention of the hardware with the naming convention of the software with this latest model, and the device will be called iPhone 3.0.  I doubt they'll use anything like Pro or HD as a suffix to the iPhone name, as that's how HTC names their phones and Apple doesn't like to follow anyone else's lead.

Apple uses a consistent nomenclature for all their products, but that naming convention doesn't make a lot of sense to anyone else.  As far as revisions go, the original iPhone was 1,1.  The 3G iPhone was 1,2.  An analytics tool turned up a device that identified itself as iPhone 2,1 in the wild, which caused speculation that a testing model of a new iPhone was in use. 

If anything, I think Apple will want to align the naming convention of the hardware with the naming convention of the software with this latest model, and the device will be called iPhone 3.0.  I doubt they'll use anything like Pro or HD as a suffix to the iPhone name, as that's how HTC names their phones and Apple doesn't like to follow anyone else's lead.

11 of 17 (5,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2009 11:06:22 PM
(0)
Professor

BrianfromNO wrote:

If they name it like a iPod you may be correct, if they name it like a "computer in your pocket" then Pro is fitting! MacBook Pro, Mac Pro ect.... Apple has used the "Pro" for Apple high end products long before HTC has Smiley Wink

BrianfromNO wrote:

If they name it like a iPod you may be correct, if they name it like a "computer in your pocket" then Pro is fitting! MacBook Pro, Mac Pro ect.... Apple has used the "Pro" for Apple high end products long before HTC has Smiley Wink

12 of 17 (5,673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2009 5:44:36 AM
(0)
Master

But that's how Apple differentiates its "mass consumer" line from its professional/prosumer models which are sold simultaneously.  The iPhone Pro or HD moniker only makes sense if they plan to continue selling the iPhone 3G as a lower tier model while selling a new model with hypothetically more robust hardware and greater storage capacity as a high-end product.  I don't think that's going to happen, because in the end it's still a phone.  Nobody's going to buy an iPhone Pro so they can render HD movies or manipulate high megapixel images on it.  I predict supplies of the iPhone 3G will start to get tight in advance of Apple's WWDC, and then it'll be a fire sale to clear out remaining inventory and refurbs.

Demetri70 wrote:

But that's how Apple differentiates its "mass consumer" line from its professional/prosumer models which are sold simultaneously.  The iPhone Pro or HD moniker only makes sense if they plan to continue selling the iPhone 3G as a lower tier model while selling a new model with hypothetically more robust hardware and greater storage capacity as a high-end product.  I don't think that's going to happen, because in the end it's still a phone.  Nobody's going to buy an iPhone Pro so they can render HD movies or manipulate high megapixel images on it.  I predict supplies of the iPhone 3G will start to get tight in advance of Apple's WWDC, and then it'll be a fire sale to clear out remaining inventory and refurbs.

Demetri70 wrote:

13 of 17 (5,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2009 10:39:49 PM
(0)
Professor
It will be interesting to see what Apple does, Apple should have called the 3G iPhone~~~~iPhone 2.0 and the new one iPhone 3.0 ect.Instead of naming it after a feature they added (3G) that sounds a lot like a iPhone 3rd Generation that they already use on there iPods. I see your point and you may very well be correct, I figured they would just update the iPhone 3G  with the improved OS/features and offer a higher end "pro" model until AT&T has there "4G network" ready...
It will be interesting to see what Apple does, Apple should have called the 3G iPhone~~~~iPhone 2.0 and the new one iPhone 3.0 ect.Instead of naming it after a feature they added (3G) that sounds a lot like a iPhone 3rd Generation that they already use on there iPods. I see your point and you may very well be correct, I figured they would just update the iPhone 3G  with the improved OS/features and offer a higher end "pro" model until AT&T has there "4G network" ready...

14 of 17 (5,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2009 1:24:08 AM
(0)
Contributor
Thank you for posting that. It should clear up some confusion.
Thank you for posting that. It should clear up some confusion.

15 of 17 (5,577 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2009 6:44:34 AM
(0)
Master

Perhaps that was a marketing faux pas on Apple's part (a rare one, if indeed it was).  I see their point, though; they wanted to play up the one aspect of the original iPhone that was most criticized - its lack of 3G capability, which many of AT&T's phonespossed by the time it was introduced.  From an internal perspective, Apple considers the iPhone 3G an extension of the same family as the original iPhone (hence the iPhone 1,2 designation).  It wasn't considered a major hardware revision from their perspective, even though it coincided with the release of the iPhone 2.0 OS update.  Personally, my money is on iPhone 3.0, but we'll see in a few months.

Demetri70 wrote:

Perhaps that was a marketing faux pas on Apple's part (a rare one, if indeed it was).  I see their point, though; they wanted to play up the one aspect of the original iPhone that was most criticized - its lack of 3G capability, which many of AT&T's phonespossed by the time it was introduced.  From an internal perspective, Apple considers the iPhone 3G an extension of the same family as the original iPhone (hence the iPhone 1,2 designation).  It wasn't considered a major hardware revision from their perspective, even though it coincided with the release of the iPhone 2.0 OS update.  Personally, my money is on iPhone 3.0, but we'll see in a few months.

Demetri70 wrote:

16 of 17 (5,554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2010 8:56:01 PM
(0)
Former Moderator
Merged with existing topic.

mod.moose

17 of 17 (3,762 Views)