Helpful Links

iPhone 4

Tutor

iPhone 4

If want an iPhone 4 and I have a line with an upgrade without data but i want the iPhone for a different line with data. do I still pay the data service for the upgrade line.
Message 1 of 7
Scholar

Re: iPhone 4

Dg97 wrote:
If want an iPhone 4 and I have a line with an upgrade without data but i want the iPhone for a different line with data. do I still pay the data service for the upgrade line.

If you open a line or add an iPhone to an existing line, you will be required to have a data plan. Simply put, any line of service with an iPhone requires a data plan. If you use the line that is available for upgrade (I'll call this line one for clarity) to get the iPhone at a discounted price and then switch the iPhone to another line within a family talk plan (line 2 for clarity), you can downgrade the phone used on line one to a 'dumb' phone and remove the data plan.

Again, any line of service that has an iPhone, or many other smartphones that require a data plan, must have a data plan. I can only assume line 2 has a 'dumb' phone because you said that does not currently have a data plan. Just use the upgrade line to get the discount and have AT&T switch the sim card information in their system.

If I understand your question, I have done exactly what you are describing to get a discounted price on an iPhone. It is not a difficult process, in my experience.

Message 2 of 7
Tutor

Is it possible to do it while you buy an iPhone
Message 3 of 7
Professor

you can use the upgrade on the other line to get a iphone 4,just go to the AT&T  store and tell them your going to use this upgrade and put the Iphone 4 or 4S on your line. they will do this and no need to add the data plan to  that other line. i used my wife upgrade on our family plan,this was a while back so they added the 3GS to my line, and everything was the same no changes was made  to my wife or mine.

Message 4 of 7
Tutor

Can u do that process over the phone
Message 5 of 7
Scholar

If you but a smart phone whose name begins with i and ends with Phone, then you must have a data plan. AT&T allows no if's, and's or but's to the equation. There is no legit manner or work around to allow you to avoid this requirement. AT&T is steadfast on this requirement. It is clearly spelled out in all their literature on the phone. It has been discussed to death in other threads. iPhone = data plan, period.  It makes no difference what other lines of service you might have. iPhone = data plan. Sorry to break it to you. The iPhone series was never intended to be used strictly as a phone and AT&T has no intention of ever changing that. Please make sure you have this clear before you sink a lot of money in a phone only to find out later you can't use the way you planned.

Message 6 of 7
Guru

ANY smartphone not just iPhones require a data plan!
Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support