Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 25, 2011
11:40:21 PM
View profile
iPhone 4
If want an iPhone 4 and I have a line with an upgrade without data but i want the iPhone for a different line with data. do I still pay the data service for the upgrade line.
If want an iPhone 4 and I have a line with an upgrade without data but i want the iPhone for a different line with data. do I still pay the data service for the upgrade line.

iPhone 4

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 1:30:04 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by browski on Nov 26, 2011 at 1:30:34 AM

Dg97 wrote:

If you open a line or add an iPhone to an existing line, you will be required to have a data plan. Simply put, any line of service with an iPhone requires a data plan. If you use the line that is available for upgrade (I'll call this line one for clarity) to get the iPhone at a discounted price and then switch the iPhone to another line within a family talk plan (line 2 for clarity), you can downgrade the phone used on line one to a 'dumb' phone and remove the data plan.

Again, any line of service that has an iPhone, or many other smartphones that require a data plan, must have a data plan. I can only assume line 2 has a 'dumb' phone because you said that does not currently have a data plan. Just use the upgrade line to get the discount and have AT&T switch the sim card information in their system.

If I understand your question, I have done exactly what you are describing to get a discounted price on an iPhone. It is not a difficult process, in my experience.

Dg97 wrote:

If you open a line or add an iPhone to an existing line, you will be required to have a data plan. Simply put, any line of service with an iPhone requires a data plan. If you use the line that is available for upgrade (I'll call this line one for clarity) to get the iPhone at a discounted price and then switch the iPhone to another line within a family talk plan (line 2 for clarity), you can downgrade the phone used on line one to a 'dumb' phone and remove the data plan.

Again, any line of service that has an iPhone, or many other smartphones that require a data plan, must have a data plan. I can only assume line 2 has a 'dumb' phone because you said that does not currently have a data plan. Just use the upgrade line to get the discount and have AT&T switch the sim card information in their system.

If I understand your question, I have done exactly what you are describing to get a discounted price on an iPhone. It is not a difficult process, in my experience.

Re: iPhone 4

[ Edited ]
2 of 7 (335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 6:04:01 AM
(0)
Tutor
Is it possible to do it while you buy an iPhone
Is it possible to do it while you buy an iPhone

3 of 7 (315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 6:54:00 AM
(0)
Professor

you can use the upgrade on the other line to get a iphone 4,just go to the AT&T  store and tell them your going to use this upgrade and put the Iphone 4 or 4S on your line. they will do this and no need to add the data plan to  that other line. i used my wife upgrade on our family plan,this was a while back so they added the 3GS to my line, and everything was the same no changes was made  to my wife or mine.

you can use the upgrade on the other line to get a iphone 4,just go to the AT&T  store and tell them your going to use this upgrade and put the Iphone 4 or 4S on your line. they will do this and no need to add the data plan to  that other line. i used my wife upgrade on our family plan,this was a while back so they added the 3GS to my line, and everything was the same no changes was made  to my wife or mine.

hello!!!

4 of 7 (305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 9:21:57 AM
(0)
Tutor
Can u do that process over the phone
Can u do that process over the phone

5 of 7 (293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 12:32:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

If you but a smart phone whose name begins with i and ends with Phone, then you must have a data plan. AT&T allows no if's, and's or but's to the equation. There is no legit manner or work around to allow you to avoid this requirement. AT&T is steadfast on this requirement. It is clearly spelled out in all their literature on the phone. It has been discussed to death in other threads. iPhone = data plan, period.  It makes no difference what other lines of service you might have. iPhone = data plan. Sorry to break it to you. The iPhone series was never intended to be used strictly as a phone and AT&T has no intention of ever changing that. Please make sure you have this clear before you sink a lot of money in a phone only to find out later you can't use the way you planned.

If you but a smart phone whose name begins with i and ends with Phone, then you must have a data plan. AT&T allows no if's, and's or but's to the equation. There is no legit manner or work around to allow you to avoid this requirement. AT&T is steadfast on this requirement. It is clearly spelled out in all their literature on the phone. It has been discussed to death in other threads. iPhone = data plan, period.  It makes no difference what other lines of service you might have. iPhone = data plan. Sorry to break it to you. The iPhone series was never intended to be used strictly as a phone and AT&T has no intention of ever changing that. Please make sure you have this clear before you sink a lot of money in a phone only to find out later you can't use the way you planned.

6 of 7 (276 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 3:17:53 PM
(0)
Guru
ANY smartphone not just iPhones require a data plan!
ANY smartphone not just iPhones require a data plan!

7 of 7 (258 Views)