Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Reply
Posted Jan 11, 2011
8:50:04 AM
View profile
iPhone 4 unlock now?

Since the iPhone 4 is no longer exclusive to AT&T, will AT&T be unlocking them after your contract is up like they do for their other non-exclusive phones?

Since the iPhone 4 is no longer exclusive to AT&T, will AT&T be unlocking them after your contract is up like they do for their other non-exclusive phones?

iPhone 4 unlock now?

3,381 views
9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Reply
View all replies
(9)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 8:58:41 AM
0
(0)
Guru

Would really have to wait for AT&T to say anything on that. We can only speculate here.

Would really have to wait for AT&T to say anything on that. We can only speculate here.

Re: iPhone 4 unlock now?

2 of 10 (3,367 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 9:36:23 AM
0
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:36:48 AM

Neihn wrote:

Would really have to wait for AT&T to say anything on that. We can only speculate here.


and add to the fact there is no requirement for them to give an unlock code


Neihn wrote:

Would really have to wait for AT&T to say anything on that. We can only speculate here.


and add to the fact there is no requirement for them to give an unlock code

Re: iPhone 4 unlock now?

[ Edited ]
3 of 10 (3,335 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:44:18 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

AT&T's arrogance and shortsightedness on this topic will cost them big time.

 

Verizon has much better coverage where I live.

 

I'll probably keep my unlocked iPhones for international usage and move to Verizon for USA coverage.

 

 

AT&T's arrogance and shortsightedness on this topic will cost them big time.

 

Verizon has much better coverage where I live.

 

I'll probably keep my unlocked iPhones for international usage and move to Verizon for USA coverage.

 

 

Re: iPhone 4 unlock now?

4 of 10 (3,280 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:47:11 AM
0
(0)
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

AT&T's arrogance and shortsightedness on this topic will cost them big time.

 

Verizon has much better coverage where I live.

 

I'll probably keep my unlocked iPhones for international usage and move to Verizon for USA coverage.

 

 


verizon coverage where I live is pretty poor - so your point is what?

 

hope verizon is everything you dream about and you don;t have to use any data while on the phone


wireless-user wrote:

AT&T's arrogance and shortsightedness on this topic will cost them big time.

 

Verizon has much better coverage where I live.

 

I'll probably keep my unlocked iPhones for international usage and move to Verizon for USA coverage.

 

 


verizon coverage where I live is pretty poor - so your point is what?

 

hope verizon is everything you dream about and you don;t have to use any data while on the phone

Re: iPhone 4 unlock now?

5 of 10 (3,274 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 12:13:59 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

 


wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

AT&T's arrogance and shortsightedness on this topic will cost them big time.

 

Verizon has much better coverage where I live.

 

I'll probably keep my unlocked iPhones for international usage and move to Verizon for USA coverage.

 

 


verizon coverage where I live is pretty poor - so your point is what?

 

hope verizon is everything you dream about and you don;t have to use any data while on the phone


 

It's all a matter of perspective.

 

Where I live AT&T sucks, plain and simple.  Verizon, on the other hand, is rock solid. It was reasonably good at my former home's location and spotty, at best, in the new location. AT&T is full of excuses, it seems Verizon is more interested in its customers, at least here.

 

I'm not so wedded to my phone that I care about using data and voice at the same time.

 

 

 

 

 


wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

AT&T's arrogance and shortsightedness on this topic will cost them big time.

 

Verizon has much better coverage where I live.

 

I'll probably keep my unlocked iPhones for international usage and move to Verizon for USA coverage.

 

 


verizon coverage where I live is pretty poor - so your point is what?

 

hope verizon is everything you dream about and you don;t have to use any data while on the phone


 

It's all a matter of perspective.

 

Where I live AT&T sucks, plain and simple.  Verizon, on the other hand, is rock solid. It was reasonably good at my former home's location and spotty, at best, in the new location. AT&T is full of excuses, it seems Verizon is more interested in its customers, at least here.

 

I'm not so wedded to my phone that I care about using data and voice at the same time.

 

 

 

 

Re: iPhone 4 unlock now?

6 of 10 (3,227 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 4:39:38 PM
0
(0)
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

 


wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

AT&T's arrogance and shortsightedness on this topic will cost them big time.

 

Verizon has much better coverage where I live.

 

I'll probably keep my unlocked iPhones for international usage and move to Verizon for USA coverage.

 

 


verizon coverage where I live is pretty poor - so your point is what?

 

hope verizon is everything you dream about and you don;t have to use any data while on the phone


 

It's all a matter of perspective.

 

Where I live AT&T sucks, plain and simple.  Verizon, on the other hand, is rock solid. It was reasonably good at my former home's location and spotty, at best, in the new location. AT&T is full of excuses, it seems Verizon is more interested in its customers, at least here.

 

I'm not so wedded to my phone that I care about using data and voice at the same time.

 

 

 

 


lets see what you say the first time you are streaming video and audio and a call comes in and the stream drops so you have to start it all over again....


wireless-user wrote:

 


wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

AT&T's arrogance and shortsightedness on this topic will cost them big time.

 

Verizon has much better coverage where I live.

 

I'll probably keep my unlocked iPhones for international usage and move to Verizon for USA coverage.

 

 


verizon coverage where I live is pretty poor - so your point is what?

 

hope verizon is everything you dream about and you don;t have to use any data while on the phone


 

It's all a matter of perspective.

 

Where I live AT&T sucks, plain and simple.  Verizon, on the other hand, is rock solid. It was reasonably good at my former home's location and spotty, at best, in the new location. AT&T is full of excuses, it seems Verizon is more interested in its customers, at least here.

 

I'm not so wedded to my phone that I care about using data and voice at the same time.

 

 

 

 


lets see what you say the first time you are streaming video and audio and a call comes in and the stream drops so you have to start it all over again....

Re: iPhone 4 unlock now?

7 of 10 (3,129 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 6:02:05 PM
0
(0)
Guru
Edited by Neihn on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:02:36 PM

 


wireless-user wrote:

 

It's all a matter of perspective geography.   


 

Fixed that for you. Each carrier will perform differently in various geographic regions. Plain and simple fact.

 

 


wireless-user wrote:

 

It's all a matter of perspective geography.   


 

Fixed that for you. Each carrier will perform differently in various geographic regions. Plain and simple fact.

 

Re: iPhone 4 unlock now?

[ Edited ]
8 of 10 (3,099 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 7:29:16 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

 


Neihn wrote:

 


wireless-user wrote:

 

It's all a matter of perspective geography.   


 

Fixed that for you. Each carrier will perform differently in various geographic regions. Plain and simple fact.

 


 

I would disagree with your assertion.   It's not so much the geography but rather the carrier's investment in that space.

 

For example, where I live Verizon has 100% penetration of the area. It's almost impossible to find a dead spot.

 

On the other hand, AT&T's coverage is poor to nil. Why is this,  AT&T hasn't invested in towers in this area, plain and simple.  AT&T has one tower, placed in a sub-optimial location when one considers the traffic and population density.

 

Verizon's towers are plentiful and visible. In fact, they just installed a new tower at town center.

 

 

 


Neihn wrote:

 


wireless-user wrote:

 

It's all a matter of perspective geography.   


 

Fixed that for you. Each carrier will perform differently in various geographic regions. Plain and simple fact.

 


 

I would disagree with your assertion.   It's not so much the geography but rather the carrier's investment in that space.

 

For example, where I live Verizon has 100% penetration of the area. It's almost impossible to find a dead spot.

 

On the other hand, AT&T's coverage is poor to nil. Why is this,  AT&T hasn't invested in towers in this area, plain and simple.  AT&T has one tower, placed in a sub-optimial location when one considers the traffic and population density.

 

Verizon's towers are plentiful and visible. In fact, they just installed a new tower at town center.

 

 

Re: iPhone 4 unlock now?

9 of 10 (2,935 Views)
Highlighted
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 8:15:41 AM
0
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 12, 2011 at 8:21:48 AM

wireless-user wrote:

 


Neihn wrote:

 


wireless-user wrote:

 

It's all a matter of perspective geography.   


 

Fixed that for you. Each carrier will perform differently in various geographic regions. Plain and simple fact.

 


 

I would disagree with your assertion.   It's not so much the geography but rather the carrier's investment in that space.

 

For example, where I live Verizon has 100% penetration of the area. It's almost impossible to find a dead spot.

 

On the other hand, AT&T's coverage is poor to nil. Why is this,  AT&T hasn't invested in towers in this area, plain and simple.  AT&T has one tower, placed in a sub-optimial location when one considers the traffic and population density.

 

Verizon's towers are plentiful and visible. In fact, they just installed a new tower at town center.

 

 


sorry - no - I travel in an area that enjoys a decent coverage from all 3 of the major carriers and there are still locations that none of the carriers will get signal - if you are on the phone when you enter that location the call is dropped. It is the nature of cell phone technology. The are a number of excellent white papers written in layman terms that are available for your research

 

I guess Verizon towers all have huge signs on them that state "this is an exlcusive Verizon tower" - truth is unless you know for sure you have no idea if it is just a tower for a single carrier on a tower that is renting out antenna space to other carriers, happens all the time.


wireless-user wrote:

 


Neihn wrote:

 


wireless-user wrote:

 

It's all a matter of perspective geography.   


 

Fixed that for you. Each carrier will perform differently in various geographic regions. Plain and simple fact.

 


 

I would disagree with your assertion.   It's not so much the geography but rather the carrier's investment in that space.

 

For example, where I live Verizon has 100% penetration of the area. It's almost impossible to find a dead spot.

 

On the other hand, AT&T's coverage is poor to nil. Why is this,  AT&T hasn't invested in towers in this area, plain and simple.  AT&T has one tower, placed in a sub-optimial location when one considers the traffic and population density.

 

Verizon's towers are plentiful and visible. In fact, they just installed a new tower at town center.

 

 


sorry - no - I travel in an area that enjoys a decent coverage from all 3 of the major carriers and there are still locations that none of the carriers will get signal - if you are on the phone when you enter that location the call is dropped. It is the nature of cell phone technology. The are a number of excellent white papers written in layman terms that are available for your research

 

I guess Verizon towers all have huge signs on them that state "this is an exlcusive Verizon tower" - truth is unless you know for sure you have no idea if it is just a tower for a single carrier on a tower that is renting out antenna space to other carriers, happens all the time.

Re: iPhone 4 unlock now?

[ Edited ]
10 of 10 (2,911 Views)
Share this post
Share this post