Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 11, 2011
8:50:04 AM
View profile
iPhone 4 unlock now?

Since the iPhone 4 is no longer exclusive to AT&T, will AT&T be unlocking them after your contract is up like they do for their other non-exclusive phones?

Since the iPhone 4 is no longer exclusive to AT&T, will AT&T be unlocking them after your contract is up like they do for their other non-exclusive phones?

iPhone 4 unlock now?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 8:58:41 AM
(0)
Guru

Would really have to wait for AT&T to say anything on that. We can only speculate here.

Would really have to wait for AT&T to say anything on that. We can only speculate here.

Re: iPhone 4 unlock now?

2 of 10 (3,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 9:36:23 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:36:48 AM

Neihn wrote:

and add to the fact there is no requirement for them to give an unlock code

Neihn wrote:

and add to the fact there is no requirement for them to give an unlock code

[ Edited ]
3 of 10 (3,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:44:18 AM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T's arrogance and shortsightedness on this topic will cost them big time.

Verizon has much better coverage where I live.

I'll probably keep my unlocked iPhones for international usage and move to Verizon for USA coverage.

I'll probably keep my unlocked iPhones for international usage and move to Verizon for USA coverage.

4 of 10 (3,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:47:11 AM
(0)
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

verizon coverage where I live is pretty poor - so your point is what?

hope verizon is everything you dream about and you don;t have to use any data while on the phone

wireless-user wrote:

hope verizon is everything you dream about and you don;t have to use any data while on the phone

5 of 10 (3,274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 12:13:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

It's all a matter of perspective.

Where I live AT&T sucks, plain and simple.  Verizon, on the other hand, is rock solid. It was reasonably good at my former home's location and spotty, at best, in the new location. AT&T is full of excuses, it seems Verizon is more interested in its customers, at least here.

I'm not so wedded to my phone that I care about using data and voice at the same time.

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

Where I live AT&T sucks, plain and simple.  Verizon, on the other hand, is rock solid. It was reasonably good at my former home's location and spotty, at best, in the new location. AT&T is full of excuses, it seems Verizon is more interested in its customers, at least here.

I'm not so wedded to my phone that I care about using data and voice at the same time.

6 of 10 (3,227 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 4:39:38 PM
(0)
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

lets see what you say the first time you are streaming video and audio and a call comes in and the stream drops so you have to start it all over again....

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

lets see what you say the first time you are streaming video and audio and a call comes in and the stream drops so you have to start it all over again....

7 of 10 (3,129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 6:02:05 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Neihn on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:02:36 PM

wireless-user wrote:

It's all a matter of perspective geography.   

Fixed that for you. Each carrier will perform differently in various geographic regions. Plain and simple fact.

wireless-user wrote:

Fixed that for you. Each carrier will perform differently in various geographic regions. Plain and simple fact.

[ Edited ]
8 of 10 (3,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 7:29:16 AM
(0)
Scholar

Neihn wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

I would disagree with your assertion.   It's not so much the geography but rather the carrier's investment in that space.

For example, where I live Verizon has 100% penetration of the area. It's almost impossible to find a dead spot.

On the other hand, AT&T's coverage is poor to nil. Why is this,  AT&T hasn't invested in towers in this area, plain and simple.  AT&T has one tower, placed in a sub-optimial location when one considers the traffic and population density.

Verizon's towers are plentiful and visible. In fact, they just installed a new tower at town center.

Neihn wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

I would disagree with your assertion.   It's not so much the geography but rather the carrier's investment in that space.

For example, where I live Verizon has 100% penetration of the area. It's almost impossible to find a dead spot.

On the other hand, AT&T's coverage is poor to nil. Why is this,  AT&T hasn't invested in towers in this area, plain and simple.  AT&T has one tower, placed in a sub-optimial location when one considers the traffic and population density.

Verizon's towers are plentiful and visible. In fact, they just installed a new tower at town center.

9 of 10 (2,935 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 8:15:41 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 12, 2011 at 8:21:48 AM

wireless-user wrote:

Neihn wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

sorry - no - I travel in an area that enjoys a decent coverage from all 3 of the major carriers and there are still locations that none of the carriers will get signal - if you are on the phone when you enter that location the call is dropped. It is the nature of cell phone technology. The are a number of excellent white papers written in layman terms that are available for your research

I guess Verizon towers all have huge signs on them that state "this is an exlcusive Verizon tower" - truth is unless you know for sure you have no idea if it is just a tower for a single carrier on a tower that is renting out antenna space to other carriers, happens all the time.

wireless-user wrote:

Neihn wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

sorry - no - I travel in an area that enjoys a decent coverage from all 3 of the major carriers and there are still locations that none of the carriers will get signal - if you are on the phone when you enter that location the call is dropped. It is the nature of cell phone technology. The are a number of excellent white papers written in layman terms that are available for your research

I guess Verizon towers all have huge signs on them that state "this is an exlcusive Verizon tower" - truth is unless you know for sure you have no idea if it is just a tower for a single carrier on a tower that is renting out antenna space to other carriers, happens all the time.

[ Edited ]
10 of 10 (2,911 Views)