iPhone 4 unlock now?

Contributor

iPhone 4 unlock now?

Since the iPhone 4 is no longer exclusive to AT&T, will AT&T be unlocking them after your contract is up like they do for their other non-exclusive phones?

Message 1 of 10 (3,530 Views)
Guru

Re: iPhone 4 unlock now?

Would really have to wait for AT&T to say anything on that. We can only speculate here.

Message 2 of 10 (3,516 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Neihn wrote:

Would really have to wait for AT&T to say anything on that. We can only speculate here.

and add to the fact there is no requirement for them to give an unlock code

Message 3 of 10 (3,484 Views)

AT&T's arrogance and shortsightedness on this topic will cost them big time.

Verizon has much better coverage where I live.

I'll probably keep my unlocked iPhones for international usage and move to Verizon for USA coverage.

Message 4 of 10 (3,429 Views)
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

I'll probably keep my unlocked iPhones for international usage and move to Verizon for USA coverage.

verizon coverage where I live is pretty poor - so your point is what?

hope verizon is everything you dream about and you don;t have to use any data while on the phone

Message 5 of 10 (3,423 Views)

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

hope verizon is everything you dream about and you don;t have to use any data while on the phone

It's all a matter of perspective.

Where I live AT&T sucks, plain and simple.  Verizon, on the other hand, is rock solid. It was reasonably good at my former home's location and spotty, at best, in the new location. AT&T is full of excuses, it seems Verizon is more interested in its customers, at least here.

I'm not so wedded to my phone that I care about using data and voice at the same time.

Message 6 of 10 (3,376 Views)
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

It's all a matter of perspective.

Where I live AT&T sucks, plain and simple.  Verizon, on the other hand, is rock solid. It was reasonably good at my former home's location and spotty, at best, in the new location. AT&T is full of excuses, it seems Verizon is more interested in its customers, at least here.

I'm not so wedded to my phone that I care about using data and voice at the same time.

lets see what you say the first time you are streaming video and audio and a call comes in and the stream drops so you have to start it all over again....

Message 7 of 10 (3,278 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

wireless-user wrote:

It's all a matter of perspective geography.   

Fixed that for you. Each carrier will perform differently in various geographic regions. Plain and simple fact.

Message 8 of 10 (3,248 Views)

Neihn wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

Fixed that for you. Each carrier will perform differently in various geographic regions. Plain and simple fact.

I would disagree with your assertion.   It's not so much the geography but rather the carrier's investment in that space.

For example, where I live Verizon has 100% penetration of the area. It's almost impossible to find a dead spot.

On the other hand, AT&T's coverage is poor to nil. Why is this,  AT&T hasn't invested in towers in this area, plain and simple.  AT&T has one tower, placed in a sub-optimial location when one considers the traffic and population density.

Verizon's towers are plentiful and visible. In fact, they just installed a new tower at town center.

Message 9 of 10 (3,084 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

[ Edited ]

wireless-user wrote:

Neihn wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

I would disagree with your assertion.   It's not so much the geography but rather the carrier's investment in that space.

For example, where I live Verizon has 100% penetration of the area. It's almost impossible to find a dead spot.

On the other hand, AT&T's coverage is poor to nil. Why is this,  AT&T hasn't invested in towers in this area, plain and simple.  AT&T has one tower, placed in a sub-optimial location when one considers the traffic and population density.

Verizon's towers are plentiful and visible. In fact, they just installed a new tower at town center.

sorry - no - I travel in an area that enjoys a decent coverage from all 3 of the major carriers and there are still locations that none of the carriers will get signal - if you are on the phone when you enter that location the call is dropped. It is the nature of cell phone technology. The are a number of excellent white papers written in layman terms that are available for your research

I guess Verizon towers all have huge signs on them that state "this is an exlcusive Verizon tower" - truth is unless you know for sure you have no idea if it is just a tower for a single carrier on a tower that is renting out antenna space to other carriers, happens all the time.

Message 10 of 10 (3,060 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.