Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 31, 2011
4:33:34 PM
iPhone 4 "No Service" in Australia

Hi - I'm currently on holiday in Sydney, Australia with my AT&T iPhone 4.  But, all I get is "No Service".  I also have an AT&T Blackberry Storm, and it is getting  full bars on 3G on the "Yes Optus" network - but the iPhone gets nothing.  Our Family Plan appears to have "Standard International" roaming enabled - so what's wrong??  Why can one phone on the plan get service and send/receive messages, but the iPhone 4 can't??

Hi - I'm currently on holiday in Sydney, Australia with my AT&T iPhone 4.  But, all I get is "No Service".  I also have an AT&T Blackberry Storm, and it is getting  full bars on 3G on the "Yes Optus" network - but the iPhone gets nothing.  Our Family Plan appears to have "Standard International" roaming enabled - so what's wrong??  Why can one phone on the plan get service and send/receive messages, but the iPhone 4 can't??

iPhone 4 "No Service" in Australia

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2011 5:44:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

It should be picking up the 900mhz GSM band, but perhaps not - do you have "3G" turned off under settings/general/network?

It should be picking up the 900mhz GSM band, but perhaps not - do you have "3G" turned off under settings/general/network?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone 4 "No Service" in Australia

2 of 6 (739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2011 8:27:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

"Enable 3G" is set to "ON", Cellular Data" = "ON" and "Data Roaming" is also set to "ON".  It will eventually (after a long time searching) see the local networks in the settings list (vodafone AU, Telestra Mobile, 3TELSTRA, YES OPTUS), but it won't provide service to any of them.

"Enable 3G" is set to "ON", Cellular Data" = "ON" and "Data Roaming" is also set to "ON".  It will eventually (after a long time searching) see the local networks in the settings list (vodafone AU, Telestra Mobile, 3TELSTRA, YES OPTUS), but it won't provide service to any of them.

3 of 6 (724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2011 11:24:36 PM
(0)
Guru

Try resetting network settings in Settings! To do this; Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Try resetting network settings in Settings! To do this; Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Experience the Underlyingsound.

4 of 6 (709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2011 8:46:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

Nope - no change after resetting the Network Settings.  We leave Sydney tomorrow, maybe it will be different in Melbourne - although I really doubt it...  Smiley Sad

Nope - no change after resetting the Network Settings.  We leave Sydney tomorrow, maybe it will be different in Melbourne - although I really doubt it...  Smiley Sad

5 of 6 (645 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2011 6:54:12 AM
(0)
Employee
do you have international roaming features for that line?
do you have international roaming features for that line?
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 6 (627 Views)