iPhone 4 or Samsung Captivate?

Teacher

iPhone 4 or Samsung Captivate?

I'm torn between these two phones. I currently have a 3GS and really like it, but was looking to Android for the customization and soemthing different. I like the iPhone but it seems so basic to me, I like a challenge.  Input?

Message 1 of 21 (1,352 Views)
Professor

Re: iPhone 4 or Samsung Captivate?

[ Edited ]

@ Tonester

My point of that is on any platform other than the iPhone, you can not use the EMOJI keyboard which is an iOS exclusive. Palringo, Yak! Instant Messenger, SMS and a few others based on iPhone OS can see the EMOJIs but if you are on Android or PC, they will appear as boxes to everyone else.

If I were to say to someone on chat I love them with a red heart, it'll be I [] you.

Message 16 of 21 (843 Views)
Scholar

Run away from the Captivate!!!  I've had two of these, and they're nice, but they tend to lock up, get flaky, lose email, and the power connection is fragile.  I "wanted" to keep the Captivates because of the Android OS, but the units simply didn't measure up to an iPhone 4.

Yeah a friend of mine bought the T-Mobile version of this phone because it had a bigger screen than the iPhone and also because she didn't want to switch carriers. It keeps on erases itself so she keeps on losing everything on the phone and then having to setup everything again. T-Mobile has replaced the phone twice now but it hasn't helped. 

Now that she bought an iPad she is extra wicket that she didn't buy an iPhone but is planning on switching once her contract is up... or before she just looses all patience with it. 

Message 17 of 21 (832 Views)
Guru

Talk about waaay too much info--I mean, you might as well should have included detailed descriptions of each and every single one of those apps while you were at it... Smiley Wink

Wonder how huge my post would be if I posted a graphical list of my 300+ apps... Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 21 (818 Views)
Scholar

tonester wrote:

Wonder how huge my post would be if I posted a graphical list of my 300+ apps... Smiley Wink

Go for it. Smiley Very Happy

Took me about 20 minutes to quickly paste all those screen shots together. 

Message 19 of 21 (809 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Here's another reason to put off on buying either iPhone or Captivate:

• iPhone 5 - Usually the iDevices announcement is around June. Apple may have a few new tricks up their sleeve. Rumored an iPad 2, iPhone 5, a few iPods, OS X Lion edition
  • HSPA+ Phones are just around the corner - These are faster than the Captivate in Internet speed. They will be out around March. AT&T announced 6 of them I believe, you can only see 3 phones and a USB modem at the moment, including a refresh of Samsung Captivate in 4G.
Message 20 of 21 (790 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

josephz2va wrote:

Here's another reason to put off on buying either iPhone or Captivate:

• iPhone 5 - Usually the iDevices announcement is around June. Apple may have a few new tricks up their sleeve. Rumored an iPad 2, iPhone 5, a few iPods, OS X Lion edition
  • HSPA+ Phones are just around the corner - These are faster than the Captivate in Internet speed. They will be out around March. AT&T announced 6 of them I believe, you can only see 3 phones and a USB modem at the moment, including a refresh of Samsung Captivate in 4G.

Honestly I'd rather get the 4 than the 5 and wait for the 6.  Smiley Happy when the 5 comes out the 4 will be priced cheaper.  Also regardless of what the 5 comes out with most people will never use it to it's fullest, and developers may not require everything the 5 may offer.

Message 21 of 21 (532 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support