Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 26, 2011
8:39:02 PM
View profile
iPhone 4 or Samsung Captivate?

I'm torn between these two phones. I currently have a 3GS and really like it, but was looking to Android for the customization and soemthing different. I like the iPhone but it seems so basic to me, I like a challenge.  Input?

I'm torn between these two phones. I currently have a 3GS and really like it, but was looking to Android for the customization and soemthing different. I like the iPhone but it seems so basic to me, I like a challenge.  Input?

~iKerri~

iPhone 4 or Samsung Captivate?

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 11:08:08 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by iFrosty on Jan 26, 2011 at 11:08:23 PM

If you are like me you would be wise to stick with the iphone.

At first the android is so much fun with the customization but then a few months down the road i started to hate it because it lacked a lot of games and other useful apps that the iphone has.

Also the iphone is a lot easier to use when it comes to syncing music and such via itunes.

There are alternatives for android but you have to pay.

If you are looking for a phone that is easy to use, stick with the iphone

If you are like me you would be wise to stick with the iphone.

At first the android is so much fun with the customization but then a few months down the road i started to hate it because it lacked a lot of games and other useful apps that the iphone has.

Also the iphone is a lot easier to use when it comes to syncing music and such via itunes.

There are alternatives for android but you have to pay.

If you are looking for a phone that is easy to use, stick with the iphone

Re: iPhone 4 or Samsung Captivate?

[ Edited ]
2 of 21 (1,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 4:18:43 AM
(0)
Employee

I've converted my girlfriend and my sister from iOS to Android and they are happier with their phones now (HTC Evo)

Syncing is easier I'd say since you don't have to use iTunes or anything, well it's more drag-n-drop than sync, but you can use DoubleTwist (which mimics iTunes interface) and there are iTunes sync apps on the market (some are free even) so it's not really a problem.

While it doesn't have all the games iOS carries it does have a few ports. The big issue is updates. You may not get these on AT&T but with some toying around (rooting) you can put custom ROMs on your phone to put whatever update you want. Plus you can use a Wii controller to play NES/SNES/Gensis games on your Android phone Smiley Happy

Grab the Captivate, return in 30 days for iPhone if you don't like it

I've converted my girlfriend and my sister from iOS to Android and they are happier with their phones now (HTC Evo)

Syncing is easier I'd say since you don't have to use iTunes or anything, well it's more drag-n-drop than sync, but you can use DoubleTwist (which mimics iTunes interface) and there are iTunes sync apps on the market (some are free even) so it's not really a problem.

While it doesn't have all the games iOS carries it does have a few ports. The big issue is updates. You may not get these on AT&T but with some toying around (rooting) you can put custom ROMs on your phone to put whatever update you want. Plus you can use a Wii controller to play NES/SNES/Gensis games on your Android phone Smiley Happy

Grab the Captivate, return in 30 days for iPhone if you don't like it

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 21 (996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 4:51:11 AM
(0)
Mentor
Stick with the iphone. Battery life on the captivate sucks. Im actually going back to the iphone soon. Dont get me wrong, i like my captivate and android but i need a longer battery life. Charging twice a day just to make it isnt cutting it.
Stick with the iphone. Battery life on the captivate sucks. Im actually going back to the iphone soon. Dont get me wrong, i like my captivate and android but i need a longer battery life. Charging twice a day just to make it isnt cutting it.

4 of 21 (985 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 5:11:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I agree with many of the things that have been stated already.  If you like a challenge, then the Captivate is for you, because the updates are do it yourself!  There are endless customization options, especially if you root. Talk to some people that own Android phones on AT&T, since AT&T does things to limit the Android experience.

If you want ease, familiarity and great battery life, the iPhone 4 is for you.

I agree with many of the things that have been stated already.  If you like a challenge, then the Captivate is for you, because the updates are do it yourself!  There are endless customization options, especially if you root. Talk to some people that own Android phones on AT&T, since AT&T does things to limit the Android experience.

If you want ease, familiarity and great battery life, the iPhone 4 is for you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 21 (974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 6:32:08 AM
(0)
Employee

one thing I noticed why battery life isn't so great on Android is because of all the features enabled from the start.

Weather, Stocks, News, Auto-Brightness, haptic feedback, silence on pick-up, "all animations", facebook, twitter, friendstream (HTC Sense devices) all running all the time.

disable most/all if you don't really need them constantly and you should be great. 

one thing I noticed why battery life isn't so great on Android is because of all the features enabled from the start.

Weather, Stocks, News, Auto-Brightness, haptic feedback, silence on pick-up, "all animations", facebook, twitter, friendstream (HTC Sense devices) all running all the time.

disable most/all if you don't really need them constantly and you should be great. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 21 (950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 6:36:12 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:38:26 AM

I would have swapped to Android or similar that becomes available, but there are pros and cons:

• Apple has the most cases available for their iDevices ; Only a few third party cases may work for the Android device that you have available already.
  • Bluetooth headsets work on either one, but some keyboards won't.
  • You also don't have a plugin cable on the bottom for standup docking. Apple has their plugins on all their devices on the bottom featuring a sturdy dock seat. Android and WP7 devices are mini-usb and their plugs are on the side.
  • iDevices doesn't have social networking except by developers apps as long as they are intialized; Android has social networking built in at a cost of battery life if not set to hourly or manual
  • Limited keyboard options on the Android. Unless the vendor added 100 country languages to the devices. I've only known there to be 5 of them. They also do not have Emoticons. Apple has both of these features.
  • Battery life is hard to maintain on the Android OS compared to the iPhone. Some of the applications have automatically enabled features and run in the background.

I would have swapped to Android or similar that becomes available, but there are pros and cons:

• Apple has the most cases available for their iDevices ; Only a few third party cases may work for the Android device that you have available already.
  • Bluetooth headsets work on either one, but some keyboards won't.
  • You also don't have a plugin cable on the bottom for standup docking. Apple has their plugins on all their devices on the bottom featuring a sturdy dock seat. Android and WP7 devices are mini-usb and their plugs are on the side.
  • iDevices doesn't have social networking except by developers apps as long as they are intialized; Android has social networking built in at a cost of battery life if not set to hourly or manual
  • Limited keyboard options on the Android. Unless the vendor added 100 country languages to the devices. I've only known there to be 5 of them. They also do not have Emoticons. Apple has both of these features.
  • Battery life is hard to maintain on the Android OS compared to the iPhone. Some of the applications have automatically enabled features and run in the background.

[ Edited ]
7 of 21 (943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 6:46:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thank you all for your input. I think I'm going to try the Captivate, who knows I may really like, if I don't there is always that 30 day exchange policy. Smiley Happy

Thank you all for your input. I think I'm going to try the Captivate, who knows I may really like, if I don't there is always that 30 day exchange policy. Smiley Happy

~iKerri~

8 of 21 (933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 7:53:36 AM
(0)
Guru

josephz2va wrote:

• They also do not have Emoticons. Apple has both of these features.

Ok I'm with you on the other pros and cons (mostly pros in favor of Apple)...but Emoticons?  Isn't that stretching things a bit too far in trying to swing things in Apple's favor?  I mean, c'mon...it's not as if the ability to use emoticons is gonna be a dealbreaker by any stretch of the imagination--is there someone out there who's really thinking, "I'm going with the iPhone over the Android because at least the iPhone has emoticons"? Smiley Wink

josephz2va wrote:

• They also do not have Emoticons. Apple has both of these features.

Ok I'm with you on the other pros and cons (mostly pros in favor of Apple)...but Emoticons?  Isn't that stretching things a bit too far in trying to swing things in Apple's favor?  I mean, c'mon...it's not as if the ability to use emoticons is gonna be a dealbreaker by any stretch of the imagination--is there someone out there who's really thinking, "I'm going with the iPhone over the Android because at least the iPhone has emoticons"? Smiley Wink

9 of 21 (905 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 8:58:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

I was also facing a same problem. I realised that all the unwanted tasked which I opened earlier and I dont want them now are also running in background.

Use any task killer app and you will then find almost day lasting battery.

I was also facing a same problem. I realised that all the unwanted tasked which I opened earlier and I dont want them now are also running in background.

Use any task killer app and you will then find almost day lasting battery.

10 of 21 (892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 9:18:03 AM
(0)
Teacher

I just switched over from Android to iOS.

The main thing I hated about my Android devices was that they were too slow software wise, and most apps would fail. The battery life on my device made my phone useless without carrying a charger. I use to dislike iOS because I wasn't good with virtural keyboards. After using my iPod touch more, I decided that I'd get the iPhone 4.

I just switched over from Android to iOS.

The main thing I hated about my Android devices was that they were too slow software wise, and most apps would fail. The battery life on my device made my phone useless without carrying a charger. I use to dislike iOS because I wasn't good with virtural keyboards. After using my iPod touch more, I decided that I'd get the iPhone 4.

11 of 21 (671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 9:43:25 AM
(0)
Scholar

For me the best part about the iPhone, besides ease of use, is the iTunes store and its wealth of apps.

I have and use over 150 apps and being able to run these same apps on any iOS device including an iPad is the deal breaker in what mobile device I'd go with.

My apps as of today

For me the best part about the iPhone, besides ease of use, is the iTunes store and its wealth of apps.

I have and use over 150 apps and being able to run these same apps on any iOS device including an iPad is the deal breaker in what mobile device I'd go with.

My apps as of today

12 of 21 (665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 12:55:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

bmkpoe wrote:

I think that's a good decision. If you come to the point where you are unsatisfied with the Captivate/Android itself, you'll know which other alternative to pick. Smiley Wink I think I also may get the Captivate, as it seems very nice and fits my needs. Good luck with your decision!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

bmkpoe wrote:

I think that's a good decision. If you come to the point where you are unsatisfied with the Captivate/Android itself, you'll know which other alternative to pick. Smiley Wink I think I also may get the Captivate, as it seems very nice and fits my needs. Good luck with your decision!

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 21 (640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 4:09:12 PM
(0)
Mentor

bmkpoe wrote:

Run away from the Captivate!!!  I've had two of these, and they're nice, but they tend to lock up, get flaky, lose email, and the power connection is fragile.  I "wanted" to keep the Captivates because of the Android OS, but the units simply didn't measure up to an iPhone 4.

bmkpoe wrote:

Run away from the Captivate!!!  I've had two of these, and they're nice, but they tend to lock up, get flaky, lose email, and the power connection is fragile.  I "wanted" to keep the Captivates because of the Android OS, but the units simply didn't measure up to an iPhone 4.

14 of 21 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 9:08:09 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by davidsf on Jan 27, 2011 at 9:09:46 PM

I vowed never to buy a Samsung phone again after my experience with the BlackJack antenna becoming loose if you dropped it problem. Samsung phones are known for having quality problems. I love my iphone4.

I vowed never to buy a Samsung phone again after my experience with the BlackJack antenna becoming loose if you dropped it problem. Samsung phones are known for having quality problems. I love my iphone4.

[ Edited ]
15 of 21 (597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 5:38:47 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Jan 28, 2011 at 5:42:56 AM

@ Tonester

My point of that is on any platform other than the iPhone, you can not use the EMOJI keyboard which is an iOS exclusive. Palringo, Yak! Instant Messenger, SMS and a few others based on iPhone OS can see the EMOJIs but if you are on Android or PC, they will appear as boxes to everyone else.

If I were to say to someone on chat I love them with a red heart, it'll be I [] you.

@ Tonester

My point of that is on any platform other than the iPhone, you can not use the EMOJI keyboard which is an iOS exclusive. Palringo, Yak! Instant Messenger, SMS and a few others based on iPhone OS can see the EMOJIs but if you are on Android or PC, they will appear as boxes to everyone else.

If I were to say to someone on chat I love them with a red heart, it'll be I [] you.

[ Edited ]
16 of 21 (568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 6:00:12 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yeah a friend of mine bought the T-Mobile version of this phone because it had a bigger screen than the iPhone and also because she didn't want to switch carriers. It keeps on erases itself so she keeps on losing everything on the phone and then having to setup everything again. T-Mobile has replaced the phone twice now but it hasn't helped. 

Now that she bought an iPad she is extra wicket that she didn't buy an iPhone but is planning on switching once her contract is up... or before she just looses all patience with it. 

Yeah a friend of mine bought the T-Mobile version of this phone because it had a bigger screen than the iPhone and also because she didn't want to switch carriers. It keeps on erases itself so she keeps on losing everything on the phone and then having to setup everything again. T-Mobile has replaced the phone twice now but it hasn't helped. 

Now that she bought an iPad she is extra wicket that she didn't buy an iPhone but is planning on switching once her contract is up... or before she just looses all patience with it. 

17 of 21 (557 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 8:32:59 AM
(0)
Guru

Talk about waaay too much info--I mean, you might as well should have included detailed descriptions of each and every single one of those apps while you were at it... Smiley Wink

Wonder how huge my post would be if I posted a graphical list of my 300+ apps... Smiley Wink

Talk about waaay too much info--I mean, you might as well should have included detailed descriptions of each and every single one of those apps while you were at it... Smiley Wink

Wonder how huge my post would be if I posted a graphical list of my 300+ apps... Smiley Wink

18 of 21 (543 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 9:23:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

tonester wrote:

Go for it. Smiley Very Happy

Took me about 20 minutes to quickly paste all those screen shots together. 

tonester wrote:

Go for it. Smiley Very Happy

Took me about 20 minutes to quickly paste all those screen shots together. 

19 of 21 (534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 1:00:39 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Jan 28, 2011 at 1:07:46 PM

Here's another reason to put off on buying either iPhone or Captivate:

• iPhone 5 - Usually the iDevices announcement is around June. Apple may have a few new tricks up their sleeve. Rumored an iPad 2, iPhone 5, a few iPods, OS X Lion edition
  • HSPA+ Phones are just around the corner - These are faster than the Captivate in Internet speed. They will be out around March. AT&T announced 6 of them I believe, you can only see 3 phones and a USB modem at the moment, including a refresh of Samsung Captivate in 4G.

• iPhone 5 - Usually the iDevices announcement is around June. Apple may have a few new tricks up their sleeve. Rumored an iPad 2, iPhone 5, a few iPods, OS X Lion edition
  • HSPA+ Phones are just around the corner - These are faster than the Captivate in Internet speed. They will be out around March. AT&T announced 6 of them I believe, you can only see 3 phones and a USB modem at the moment, including a refresh of Samsung Captivate in 4G.

[ Edited ]
20 of 21 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 6:20:19 PM
(0)
Mentor

josephz2va wrote:

Honestly I'd rather get the 4 than the 5 and wait for the 6.  Smiley Happy when the 5 comes out the 4 will be priced cheaper.  Also regardless of what the 5 comes out with most people will never use it to it's fullest, and developers may not require everything the 5 may offer.

josephz2va wrote:

Honestly I'd rather get the 4 than the 5 and wait for the 6.  Smiley Happy when the 5 comes out the 4 will be priced cheaper.  Also regardless of what the 5 comes out with most people will never use it to it's fullest, and developers may not require everything the 5 may offer.

21 of 21 (257 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments