Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 22, 2011
3:52:43 PM
View profile
iPhone 4 iOS 4.3 Update - Personal Hotspot Enabled

With the iOS 4.3 update, enabling Personal Hotspot for iPhone 4. I wonder if AT&T has this feature disabled or automatically charge its customers for enabling it. Has anyone updated their iOS yet? Is it available now? I have been thinking of upgrading my 3G to a 4 when I found out about this feature.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ Get online in more places.

On the road, in an airport, at the park — now you can bring Wi-Fi with you wherever you go. Download iOS 4.3 on your iPhone 4, and the next time you find yourself without access to Wi-Fi but in 3G territory, enable Personal Hotspot and share your cellular data connection with your Mac, PC, iPad, or other Wi-Fi-capable device. You can share your connection with up to five devices at once over Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB — with up to three of those connections using Wi-Fi.4 Every connection is password protected and secure. And it’s power friendly, too. iPhone detects when your Personal Hotspot is no longer in use and turns it off to save battery life.

With the iOS 4.3 update, enabling Personal Hotspot for iPhone 4. I wonder if AT&T has this feature disabled or automatically charge its customers for enabling it. Has anyone updated their iOS yet? Is it available now? I have been thinking of upgrading my 3G to a 4 when I found out about this feature.

On the road, in an airport, at the park — now you can bring Wi-Fi with you wherever you go. Download iOS 4.3 on your iPhone 4, and the next time you find yourself without access to Wi-Fi but in 3G territory, enable Personal Hotspot and share your cellular data connection with your Mac, PC, iPad, or other Wi-Fi-capable device. You can share your connection with up to five devices at once over Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB — with up to three of those connections using Wi-Fi.4 Every connection is password protected and secure. And it’s power friendly, too. iPhone detects when your Personal Hotspot is no longer in use and turns it off to save battery life.

iPhone 4 iOS 4.3 Update - Personal Hotspot Enabled

14 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 4:48:36 PM
(0)
Expert

nikmorgy wrote:

numerous discussions, both verizon adn att will charge extra for the feature and both will have a 2gb cap

nikmorgy wrote:

numerous discussions, both verizon adn att will charge extra for the feature and both will have a 2gb cap

Re: iPhone 4 iOS 4.3 Update - Personal Hotspot Enabled

2 of 15 (30,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 5:55:30 PM
(0)
Professor

Actually, AT&T has a 4GB cap with tethering enabled.  That's total data transfer to the phone or thru the phone.  Verizon's hotspot is 2GB transfered through the hotspot.

4.3 has been out for a few weeks now.  When you update to 4.3, you get an option in settings to enable the hotspot, but you have to sign up for the $45 tethering plan first.  If you select the option without having the plan, it will just give you a popup telling you need to signup for the plan first.

Actually, AT&T has a 4GB cap with tethering enabled.  That's total data transfer to the phone or thru the phone.  Verizon's hotspot is 2GB transfered through the hotspot.

4.3 has been out for a few weeks now.  When you update to 4.3, you get an option in settings to enable the hotspot, but you have to sign up for the $45 tethering plan first.  If you select the option without having the plan, it will just give you a popup telling you need to signup for the plan first.

3 of 15 (30,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 8:00:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

nikmorgy wrote:

The feature is available, there are many discussions about it.  If you want it, you will have to explicitly contact AT&T to get the service enabled on your acount.  Keep in mind that to enable it you will be required to be on the tiered data plan at the "Pro" level plus tethering, so you will be paying $45/month and receiving 4GB of data traffic included.  If you go over 4GB, you pay $10 for each 1GB (or part thereof) that you go over the included 4GB plan.

As you have already mentioned, you would also have to upgrade your iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4 (or newer) in order to use the hot spot feature, as it is not enabled on the older iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS models.  Those models can still tether, but they can not enable the wifi hotspot feature.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

nikmorgy wrote:

The feature is available, there are many discussions about it.  If you want it, you will have to explicitly contact AT&T to get the service enabled on your acount.  Keep in mind that to enable it you will be required to be on the tiered data plan at the "Pro" level plus tethering, so you will be paying $45/month and receiving 4GB of data traffic included.  If you go over 4GB, you pay $10 for each 1GB (or part thereof) that you go over the included 4GB plan.

As you have already mentioned, you would also have to upgrade your iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4 (or newer) in order to use the hot spot feature, as it is not enabled on the older iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS models.  Those models can still tether, but they can not enable the wifi hotspot feature.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 15 (30,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 3:18:32 AM
(0)
Expert

dwill05 wrote:

true, but prefer to break it up like ATT does - 2GB data plan for 25.00, 2GB additional with the tethering feature for 20.00, 10.00 per gig overages

dwill05 wrote:

true, but prefer to break it up like ATT does - 2GB data plan for 25.00, 2GB additional with the tethering feature for 20.00, 10.00 per gig overages

5 of 15 (30,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2011 9:28:21 PM
(0)
Teacher

What an outrageous overcharge that is!  $45 a month with a 4 Gb limit!  UNBELIEVABLE AT&T!  I guess they're back thinking like they're a monopoly again.  Funny how the cable company can provide UNLIMITED data transfer for $39.95 a month and I use hundreds, maybe thousands of gigabytes a month with them!  How is it AT&T can only afford 4 gigs for $45?  Oh sorry - make that $75 - because you have to pay the mandatory $30 data fee on top of that - which is another outrageous overcharge!!  I'm so sick of this company taking advantage of people like this.  

What an outrageous overcharge that is!  $45 a month with a 4 Gb limit!  UNBELIEVABLE AT&T!  I guess they're back thinking like they're a monopoly again.  Funny how the cable company can provide UNLIMITED data transfer for $39.95 a month and I use hundreds, maybe thousands of gigabytes a month with them!  How is it AT&T can only afford 4 gigs for $45?  Oh sorry - make that $75 - because you have to pay the mandatory $30 data fee on top of that - which is another outrageous overcharge!!  I'm so sick of this company taking advantage of people like this.  

6 of 15 (21,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 4:34:07 AM
(0)
Professor

jcerious wrote:

Then LEAVE!  Or get your facts correct.

They can charge $45/month because they are a company in a free market society (well, that's debatable at times) and currently that is what the market will bear.  They are in business to make money, not make friends.

If they do not provide a good value for you, or you can find a better deal elsewhere, leave.

If you really want to compare cable to cellular data, well sorry... they are nothing alike, consumers will always pay more for convinience items.  Cellular data is a convinience, NOT a necessity.

Also, DataPRO + Tethering is only $45/month... there is no additional $30/month data fee on top of that.  There is no current $30/month data plan,  The sunset $30 unlimited data plan does NOT allow tethering.

jcerious wrote:

Then LEAVE!  Or get your facts correct.

They can charge $45/month because they are a company in a free market society (well, that's debatable at times) and currently that is what the market will bear.  They are in business to make money, not make friends.

If they do not provide a good value for you, or you can find a better deal elsewhere, leave.

If you really want to compare cable to cellular data, well sorry... they are nothing alike, consumers will always pay more for convinience items.  Cellular data is a convinience, NOT a necessity.

Also, DataPRO + Tethering is only $45/month... there is no additional $30/month data fee on top of that.  There is no current $30/month data plan,  The sunset $30 unlimited data plan does NOT allow tethering.

7 of 15 (21,550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 6:05:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

jcerious wrote:

The data fee is $25 for 2GB - each additional GB is $10

The total fee for hotspot *and* regular data is $45 and includes 4GB

So, thats

$25 - 2GB plus

$20 - 2GB

and FREE HOTSPOT!

It's math. It's really not that hard.

jcerious wrote:

The data fee is $25 for 2GB - each additional GB is $10

The total fee for hotspot *and* regular data is $45 and includes 4GB

So, thats

$25 - 2GB plus

$20 - 2GB

and FREE HOTSPOT!

It's math. It's really not that hard.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 15 (21,534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 3:49:07 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by scoobydoo on Apr 20, 2011 at 7:06:40 PM

This is unethical practice by ATT. [Per guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

AT&T provides these Wireless Forums as a service to its users and customers, to help them exchange ideas, tips, information, and techniques related to our wireless services.

As with the service, only the name has changed. The forums have always been and always will be for users to help other users. Please make sure your post are courteous. Thank you. mod.moose

Personal Hotspot is a software feature provided free of charge by actual mobile operating system provider (Apple in case of ios and Google incase of Android). ATT already caps new iphone/android users to either 200 mb or 2 gb data plan. 

It doesnt cost ATT anything extra to enable mobile hotspot feature for these customers as I'm already paying $15 or $25 to consume 200mb or 2gb data. Now as a consumer it is my choice, how I would like to consume allowed data! if I want to use that data on the phone or enable hotspot and consume same data on 2nd device (eg. ipad, laptop etc.). If I consume more than what is allowed on my account (200mb or 2gb) ATT will happily charge me additional useage data.

point is very simple - it is double charging for same amount of data which I have paid for!!

Very Bad Practice by ATT. I know it will not change anything right now, but when commpition heats up and others come with better offer, most educated ATT users will be out of here!

Cheers,

SV

This is unethical practice by ATT. [Per guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

AT&T provides these Wireless Forums as a service to its users and customers, to help them exchange ideas, tips, information, and techniques related to our wireless services.

As with the service, only the name has changed. The forums have always been and always will be for users to help other users. Please make sure your post are courteous. Thank you. mod.moose

Personal Hotspot is a software feature provided free of charge by actual mobile operating system provider (Apple in case of ios and Google incase of Android). ATT already caps new iphone/android users to either 200 mb or 2 gb data plan. 

It doesnt cost ATT anything extra to enable mobile hotspot feature for these customers as I'm already paying $15 or $25 to consume 200mb or 2gb data. Now as a consumer it is my choice, how I would like to consume allowed data! if I want to use that data on the phone or enable hotspot and consume same data on 2nd device (eg. ipad, laptop etc.). If I consume more than what is allowed on my account (200mb or 2gb) ATT will happily charge me additional useage data.

point is very simple - it is double charging for same amount of data which I have paid for!!

Very Bad Practice by ATT. I know it will not change anything right now, but when commpition heats up and others come with better offer, most educated ATT users will be out of here!

Cheers,

SV

[ Edited ]
9 of 15 (20,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 6:46:42 PM
(0)
Professor

OMG, are you really serious????

Unethical? What are you smoking?

You are using AT&T's privately owned network, as such, you must agree to the terms and conditions that they set forth.  If you don't agree to the terms and conditions, go elsewhere.

You are NOT entitled to violate the terms and conditions simply because for some ridiculous reason you find it unethical.

It is NOT unethical, it is a business decision.

OMG, are you really serious????

Unethical? What are you smoking?

You are using AT&T's privately owned network, as such, you must agree to the terms and conditions that they set forth.  If you don't agree to the terms and conditions, go elsewhere.

You are NOT entitled to violate the terms and conditions simply because for some ridiculous reason you find it unethical.

It is NOT unethical, it is a business decision.

10 of 15 (20,808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 7:11:07 AM
(0)
Contributor

Actually isn't it more ethical for them to be sure that streaming content doesn't bump us over our limits?  Especially since the unlimited plan is no longer available.  Plus they are probably reducing customer service complaints about overages.  I think this is a good business practice.

ag0g0girl
Christina

Actually isn't it more ethical for them to be sure that streaming content doesn't bump us over our limits?  Especially since the unlimited plan is no longer available.  Plus they are probably reducing customer service complaints about overages.  I think this is a good business practice.

11 of 15 (9,320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 9:28:21 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:29:09 AM

ag0g0girl wrote:

You know there is a litle something called personal responsiblity, that is the most ethical thing around. Take personal responsiblity to make sure you adhere to the terms of the service. If people to this they won;t have to be hand held and spoon fed every day of their lives, but sad to say that is the mantra of the current gimmee generation - let someone else pay heed to waht I do to make sure that I do not go over.

No it has absolutely nothing to do with ethics, just the lack of takeing responsibility of your actions. Contrary to belief the world does not get handed to someone on a silver platter, want it - work for it

ag0g0girl wrote:

You know there is a litle something called personal responsiblity, that is the most ethical thing around. Take personal responsiblity to make sure you adhere to the terms of the service. If people to this they won;t have to be hand held and spoon fed every day of their lives, but sad to say that is the mantra of the current gimmee generation - let someone else pay heed to waht I do to make sure that I do not go over.

No it has absolutely nothing to do with ethics, just the lack of takeing responsibility of your actions. Contrary to belief the world does not get handed to someone on a silver platter, want it - work for it

[ Edited ]
12 of 15 (9,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2011 4:43:52 AM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

... sad to say that is the mantra of the current gimmee generation - let someone else pay heed to waht I do...

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Not pointing to anyone here in particular. But, in a general way this is about as accurate an assessment of today's entitlement mentality as anything else I've read. 

wingrider01 wrote:

... sad to say that is the mantra of the current gimmee generation - let someone else pay heed to waht I do...

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Not pointing to anyone here in particular. But, in a general way this is about as accurate an assessment of today's entitlement mentality as anything else I've read. 

13 of 15 (9,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2011 7:35:17 AM
(0)
Expert

SLIKRICK wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sad but true, one thing I do wish is that auto correct woud work properly, it misses important things and changes minor thens when you sendSmiley Happy

SLIKRICK wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sad but true, one thing I do wish is that auto correct woud work properly, it misses important things and changes minor thens when you sendSmiley Happy

14 of 15 (9,268 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2011 5:57:10 PM
(0)
Employee
the data you pay for is for your phone. not your phone, laptop, ipad, etc. you pay for service for the phone itself. the $45 package is if you decide you want to connect extra devices to your phone.
the data you pay for is for your phone. not your phone, laptop, ipad, etc. you pay for service for the phone itself. the $45 package is if you decide you want to connect extra devices to your phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

15 of 15 (9,242 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments