Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 3, 2010
10:18:21 PM
iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

I got my iPhone 4 last week. I am mostly on WI-FI and have turned Push OFF and set my e-mails to manual donwload. Yet, I see the iPhone 4 downloading e-mails, since the Home screen shows new e-mails in the Mail icon. How can I turn this off? I do not want to download e-mails unless I need to. So far, the only way to stop this is to turn off Cellular Data. 

I also found cellular data being consumed even when connected to a Wi-FI network.

With AT&T's limit on data plans, Apple needs to add a dialog that asks if cellular data if going to be incurred and let the user allow or decline it.

I got my iPhone 4 last week. I am mostly on WI-FI and have turned Push OFF and set my e-mails to manual donwload. Yet, I see the iPhone 4 downloading e-mails, since the Home screen shows new e-mails in the Mail icon. How can I turn this off? I do not want to download e-mails unless I need to. So far, the only way to stop this is to turn off Cellular Data. 

I also found cellular data being consumed even when connected to a Wi-FI network.

With AT&T's limit on data plans, Apple needs to add a dialog that asks if cellular data if going to be incurred and let the user allow or decline it.

iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(23)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2010 7:14:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

Any suggestions on how to prevent e-mail downloads unless I specifically request to download them?

Any suggestions on how to prevent e-mail downloads unless I specifically request to download them?

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

2 of 24 (1,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2010 7:55:05 AM
(0)
Professor

Are you closing the Mail program after checking your mail?  Because of the multi-tasking feature, programs don't really "close" any more.  Double click the home button to bring up the multitasking bar at the bottom, which shows your open programs.  Hold an icon until it starts jiggling, and the red minus icon is shown in the corner.  Press it to stop the program.  That's the only thing I can think of.

I assume you have checked the setting for all your eamil accounts?  Fetch data off, push off, fetch set to manual, and checked the settings for each email account using the advanced button at the very bottom of the fetch data screen?

If everything is off or in manual, and the program isn't open in the multitasking bark, then it should not be getting new email on it's own.  Other than trying a reboot or restoring the phone, I can't think of anything else.  If it keeps doing it, take it to the Genius Bar at an Apple store.

Are you closing the Mail program after checking your mail?  Because of the multi-tasking feature, programs don't really "close" any more.  Double click the home button to bring up the multitasking bar at the bottom, which shows your open programs.  Hold an icon until it starts jiggling, and the red minus icon is shown in the corner.  Press it to stop the program.  That's the only thing I can think of.

I assume you have checked the setting for all your eamil accounts?  Fetch data off, push off, fetch set to manual, and checked the settings for each email account using the advanced button at the very bottom of the fetch data screen?

If everything is off or in manual, and the program isn't open in the multitasking bark, then it should not be getting new email on it's own.  Other than trying a reboot or restoring the phone, I can't think of anything else.  If it keeps doing it, take it to the Genius Bar at an Apple store.

3 of 24 (1,682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2010 9:13:13 AM
(0)
Guru

Sounds to me like your not closing the Mail program. I tend to do that sometimes myself nto realize I left the email program open until I hear the new email tone. Just remember to double click the home button and close out the email app.

Sounds to me like your not closing the Mail program. I tend to do that sometimes myself nto realize I left the email program open until I hear the new email tone. Just remember to double click the home button and close out the email app.

4 of 24 (1,659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2010 9:23:20 AM
(0)
Guru

dwill05 wrote:

^^^^^
as stated up there
try ending the program completely after you are done

dwill05 wrote:

^^^^^
as stated up there
try ending the program completely after you are done

5 of 24 (1,658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2010 9:33:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

Even if the program is not ended, if he hasn't opened the program then it's not going to auto-fetch for new mail unless the setting is set to do so.

Go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars etc.. > Fetch New Data > and turn OFF Push. Then choose Manually for the Fetch time.

Then scroll down to Advanced, click your Mail Account, and make sure that setting is set to Manual as well.

You may have not changed that last setting, and many people seem to not realize there is a second option that needs to be set.

Cheers.

Even if the program is not ended, if he hasn't opened the program then it's not going to auto-fetch for new mail unless the setting is set to do so.

Go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars etc.. > Fetch New Data > and turn OFF Push. Then choose Manually for the Fetch time.

Then scroll down to Advanced, click your Mail Account, and make sure that setting is set to Manual as well.

You may have not changed that last setting, and many people seem to not realize there is a second option that needs to be set.

Cheers.

6 of 24 (1,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2010 9:33:45 AM
(0)
Mentor

Pushing this topic to the top because I am having the same problem.  I have a 3Gs and it showed up after I updated to the new operating system.  Everything is turned off, including the advanced settings.  program is NOT running in multitask, but it still grabs emails.  Can not get it to stop.  Never had the problem under old system and have never pushed emails.  Only have one account, same one I always had.  Anyone find a solution to this?

Pushing this topic to the top because I am having the same problem.  I have a 3Gs and it showed up after I updated to the new operating system.  Everything is turned off, including the advanced settings.  program is NOT running in multitask, but it still grabs emails.  Can not get it to stop.  Never had the problem under old system and have never pushed emails.  Only have one account, same one I always had.  Anyone find a solution to this?

7 of 24 (1,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2010 11:50:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Tarheel72 wrote:

It will only grab emails if you have set it to fetch them periodically. Setting it to manual will make it fetch whenever you open the mail app.
Check your settings again.

Tarheel72 wrote:

It will only grab emails if you have set it to fetch them periodically. Setting it to manual will make it fetch whenever you open the mail app.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 24 (1,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2010 11:58:02 AM
(0)
Mentor

johninsj wrote:

Thanks for the reply but you are wrong.  If you do a google search you will see that several people are having this same issue.  The email app is not running, not even in multitask.  Under settings, fetch is set to manual, push is set to off.  Under the advanced tab, the email account is set to manual.   The phone still checks for email periodically.  Some have mentioned that it seems to do it when they use Safari.  I have not found this to be the case.  Sometimes when I get up in the morning it has grabbed email during the night when no other apps are open at all.  Obviously there is some bug in OS4.  If everything is set to manual and the email ap is closed, it should not check for or download any email, but it does.

johninsj wrote:

Thanks for the reply but you are wrong.  If you do a google search you will see that several people are having this same issue.  The email app is not running, not even in multitask.  Under settings, fetch is set to manual, push is set to off.  Under the advanced tab, the email account is set to manual.   The phone still checks for email periodically.  Some have mentioned that it seems to do it when they use Safari.  I have not found this to be the case.  Sometimes when I get up in the morning it has grabbed email during the night when no other apps are open at all.  Obviously there is some bug in OS4.  If everything is set to manual and the email ap is closed, it should not check for or download any email, but it does.

9 of 24 (1,372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2010 1:54:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Well, I don't know - several people report the darndest things on the internet.

For the fun of it, how about you simply disable the email account in settings. Then, when you want email, enable it. That surely will keep it from checking email.

Note that email is one of the apps Apple always restarts in the background even if you kill it. There are a few key apps that are always kept running for performance reasons.

If you make a change to the email fetch settings, you can always Power Off your phone, and then restart it to make sure your changes have been applied.

Well, I don't know - several people report the darndest things on the internet.

For the fun of it, how about you simply disable the email account in settings. Then, when you want email, enable it. That surely will keep it from checking email.

Note that email is one of the apps Apple always restarts in the background even if you kill it. There are a few key apps that are always kept running for performance reasons.

If you make a change to the email fetch settings, you can always Power Off your phone, and then restart it to make sure your changes have been applied.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 24 (1,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2010 1:59:51 PM
(0)
Professor

Be sure you have your entire system set to manual:

• settings-mail-fetch new data
  • Push-OFF
  • Fetch-Manual
  • Advanced-Account-Schedule Manual

• Push-OFF
  • Fetch-Manual

11 of 24 (822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2010 2:14:46 PM
(0)
Mentor

josephz2va wrote:

• Push-OFF
  • Fetch-Manual

Does anyone read before they post?  First of all the settings are exactly the same as they have been for over a year.  The only thing that changed was the operating system.  Second, I have verified the settings, please read three posts previous to this one.  Third I have reset the phone and it does no good.  And fourth, there are plenty of forums just like this one that are as good a resource and other people have noticed the same exact problem.  Apparently there is something in the new operating system that over-rides the settings.  Unless someone has experienced this problem and successfully corrected it, please don't keep telling me to be sure everything is turned off.

josephz2va wrote:

• Push-OFF
  • Fetch-Manual

Does anyone read before they post?  First of all the settings are exactly the same as they have been for over a year.  The only thing that changed was the operating system.  Second, I have verified the settings, please read three posts previous to this one.  Third I have reset the phone and it does no good.  And fourth, there are plenty of forums just like this one that are as good a resource and other people have noticed the same exact problem.  Apparently there is something in the new operating system that over-rides the settings.  Unless someone has experienced this problem and successfully corrected it, please don't keep telling me to be sure everything is turned off.

12 of 24 (813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2010 2:39:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Tarheel72 wrote:

First of all the settings are exactly the same as they have been for over a year.  The only thing that changed was the operating system. 

Did you restored from the backup made from pre-4.0, or set it up as a new iPhone?

Tarheel72 wrote:

First of all the settings are exactly the same as they have been for over a year.  The only thing that changed was the operating system. 

Did you restored from the backup made from pre-4.0, or set it up as a new iPhone?

13 of 24 (804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2010 2:53:04 PM
(0)
Mentor

Not sure I understand your question.  I simply plugged the 3Gs into the computer, opened iTunes and checked for updates.  iTunes downloaded the new operating system.  As far as I know that is how most everyone got the new operating system.  If iTunes made a back up, I am not aware of it.  I am pretty sure it was not set up as a new iPhone, none of my data was changed or lost.  All I have done is update from iTunes and everything has worked fine, except for this random fetching of email for no apparent reason.  For instance, it happened twice this morning, but not once this afternoon.

Not sure I understand your question.  I simply plugged the 3Gs into the computer, opened iTunes and checked for updates.  iTunes downloaded the new operating system.  As far as I know that is how most everyone got the new operating system.  If iTunes made a back up, I am not aware of it.  I am pretty sure it was not set up as a new iPhone, none of my data was changed or lost.  All I have done is update from iTunes and everything has worked fine, except for this random fetching of email for no apparent reason.  For instance, it happened twice this morning, but not once this afternoon.

14 of 24 (801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2010 4:16:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Ok, so that's a restore from backup. It's also a 3GS vs an iP4, which might make a difference as well - the performance of iOS4 on the 3/3GS has been not great.

Was your 3GS ever jailbroken?

All I can suggest is hang in there for the 4.1 update due in September. It should help.

Ok, so that's a restore from backup. It's also a 3GS vs an iP4, which might make a difference as well - the performance of iOS4 on the 3/3GS has been not great.

Was your 3GS ever jailbroken?

All I can suggest is hang in there for the 4.1 update due in September. It should help.

15 of 24 (790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2010 6:19:36 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Tarheel72 on Aug 20, 2010 at 6:20:39 PM

No never jail broken.

BTW, in the postings I have read it seems that both iPone 4 and 3Gs seems to have this issue.

No never jail broken.

BTW, in the postings I have read it seems that both iPone 4 and 3Gs seems to have this issue.

[ Edited ]
16 of 24 (777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2010 7:45:03 PM
(0)
Guru

Tarheel72 wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Thanks for the reply but you are wrong.  If you do a google search you will see that several people are having this same issue.  The email app is not running, not even in multitask.  Under settings, fetch is set to manual, push is set to off.  Under the advanced tab, the email account is set to manual.   The phone still checks for email periodically.  Some have mentioned that it seems to do it when they use Safari.  I have not found this to be the case.

I can't speak on iOS 4.x but in iOS 3.x (and probably even older than that) if you open a contact in the Contacts app or look up details for a particular contact in the Phone app, it'll trigger the Mail app to start if it's not already running; unless you don't get a lot of mail, you'll know that it triggered the Mail app because you'll hear that familiar new mail chime that occurs when new email is waiting for you to view.

Tarheel72 wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Thanks for the reply but you are wrong.  If you do a google search you will see that several people are having this same issue.  The email app is not running, not even in multitask.  Under settings, fetch is set to manual, push is set to off.  Under the advanced tab, the email account is set to manual.   The phone still checks for email periodically.  Some have mentioned that it seems to do it when they use Safari.  I have not found this to be the case.

I can't speak on iOS 4.x but in iOS 3.x (and probably even older than that) if you open a contact in the Contacts app or look up details for a particular contact in the Phone app, it'll trigger the Mail app to start if it's not already running; unless you don't get a lot of mail, you'll know that it triggered the Mail app because you'll hear that familiar new mail chime that occurs when new email is waiting for you to view.

17 of 24 (766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 6:34:09 AM
(0)
Mentor

tonester wrote:

I never had that happen prior to upgrading and never heard of it happening.  We have 4 iPhones in my family, two 4's and two 3Gs models.  Mine is the only one that is doing this.  the other 3Gs is now set to push email since the system upgrade but before it was not, and it never had this email problem.

One of the iPhone 4's was an upgrade from a 3G and she never had the problem on her old phone.  Under the old operating system I had all of the email settings on manual and the only time I ever got email downloads was when I opened the email app, and then it would automatically grab my email.  Other than that, I never got mail downloaded, even when I opened contacts, Safari, etc. 

This was just posted in HowardForums, on this topic:

From what I have been told it will grab email whenever you use anything that uses data. So far it seems to be true, if I use any app that uses data 3g/wifi it grabs my email.

This might be similar to what you describe, but I did not know that opening contacts "used data".  Why would opening the contact file automatically cause the phone to access data?  Access it for what?  With AT&T charging for data, I would think anything that accesses data would be an issue with users, if they did not intend to use data.

tonester wrote:

I never had that happen prior to upgrading and never heard of it happening.  We have 4 iPhones in my family, two 4's and two 3Gs models.  Mine is the only one that is doing this.  the other 3Gs is now set to push email since the system upgrade but before it was not, and it never had this email problem.

One of the iPhone 4's was an upgrade from a 3G and she never had the problem on her old phone.  Under the old operating system I had all of the email settings on manual and the only time I ever got email downloads was when I opened the email app, and then it would automatically grab my email.  Other than that, I never got mail downloaded, even when I opened contacts, Safari, etc. 

From what I have been told it will grab email whenever you use anything that uses data. So far it seems to be true, if I use any app that uses data 3g/wifi it grabs my email.

This might be similar to what you describe, but I did not know that opening contacts "used data".  Why would opening the contact file automatically cause the phone to access data?  Access it for what?  With AT&T charging for data, I would think anything that accesses data would be an issue with users, if they did not intend to use data.

18 of 24 (748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 6:42:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Tarheel72 wrote:

If that's happening, with everything set to manual, then it's indeed a bug.

Tarheel72 wrote:

If that's happening, with everything set to manual, then it's indeed a bug.

19 of 24 (745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 6:53:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Tarheel72 wrote:

First of all the settings are exactly the same as they have been for over a year.

Hmm... I just re-read that. There is a new, additional setting in iOS4 that overrides the default setting for each email account. That's what "Advanced-Account-Schedule Manual" means. Can you verify those settings? I wonder if there is some issue when moving from 3.x to 4.0 with existing email accounts. Did your email accounts migrate over when you updated?

Tarheel72 wrote:

First of all the settings are exactly the same as they have been for over a year.

Hmm... I just re-read that. There is a new, additional setting in iOS4 that overrides the default setting for each email account. That's what "Advanced-Account-Schedule Manual" means. Can you verify those settings? I wonder if there is some issue when moving from 3.x to 4.0 with existing email accounts. Did your email accounts migrate over when you updated?

20 of 24 (737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 7:53:20 AM
(0)
Mentor

johninsj wrote:

Tarheel72 wrote:

I don't remember if thaty setting was in the old operating system or not, but regardless mine is set to manual.  When I started having the problem I did research and this was one of the things that was pointed out so I went in and was sure that mine was set to manual.  It was and I did not have to reset it.  Of course I have switched it back and forth several times to see if that would make a difference, but it has not.  Mine is indeed set to Advanced-Account-Schedule Manual.

johninsj wrote:

Tarheel72 wrote:

I don't remember if thaty setting was in the old operating system or not, but regardless mine is set to manual.  When I started having the problem I did research and this was one of the things that was pointed out so I went in and was sure that mine was set to manual.  It was and I did not have to reset it.  Of course I have switched it back and forth several times to see if that would make a difference, but it has not.  Mine is indeed set to Advanced-Account-Schedule Manual.

21 of 24 (723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 8:03:21 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by tonester on Aug 21, 2010 at 8:15:00 AM

Tarheel72 wrote:

It's not so much that opening Contacts automatically causes the phone to access data, but more an issue with how/why opening a contact either via the Contacts app or accessing it via the Phone app triggers the Mail app to run (and check for new mail) if and only if the Mail app isn't already running.

Here's the deal--once you open the Mail app, it remains running in memory (i.e., in the background--it's one of the few resident iOS programs that remain running even after you exit it) even after you close it (by pressing the Home button)--at least until you manually kill it or reboot/power cycle your phone, so that's why you don't get the "check for new mail" bug if/when you subsequently open Safari/Contacts/etc.  Only if the Mail app is not already running AND either you open it yourself or something else (e.g., Contacts) opens it does it perform an initial "check new mail" action.  For many folks not on iOS 4.x, they would not be able to readily tell if the Mail app is running in the background unless they install some sort of memory tool that lists all running iOS processes...hence why they wouldn't even give much thought as to whether the Mail app continues to run after they exit the app.

Safari is similar in that even after you exit the app by hitting the Home button, it is still running in the background...unless you leave Safari open to a blank page before exiting the app...and yes I know a reboot, power cycle, or doing the Power/Home button finger dance (pre-iOS 4.x) will kill Safari also...but I digress.

Again, the above applies to pre-iOS 4.x...and yes, the "check for new mail" bug/glitch/feature/whatever is a known issue.  I assume Apple hasn't really done much to "fix" this glitch because they feel that folks would always want to be checking their email, whether manually or automatically...and as a result, they allow the Mail app to run in the background even after the user exits the app, so that it'll already be running if/when the user wishes to open the Mail app again.  Also, it needs to remain running in the background in order for Mail push/fetch to work correctly.

Tarheel72 wrote:

It's not so much that opening Contacts automatically causes the phone to access data, but more an issue with how/why opening a contact either via the Contacts app or accessing it via the Phone app triggers the Mail app to run (and check for new mail) if and only if the Mail app isn't already running.

Here's the deal--once you open the Mail app, it remains running in memory (i.e., in the background--it's one of the few resident iOS programs that remain running even after you exit it) even after you close it (by pressing the Home button)--at least until you manually kill it or reboot/power cycle your phone, so that's why you don't get the "check for new mail" bug if/when you subsequently open Safari/Contacts/etc.  Only if the Mail app is not already running AND either you open it yourself or something else (e.g., Contacts) opens it does it perform an initial "check new mail" action.  For many folks not on iOS 4.x, they would not be able to readily tell if the Mail app is running in the background unless they install some sort of memory tool that lists all running iOS processes...hence why they wouldn't even give much thought as to whether the Mail app continues to run after they exit the app.

Safari is similar in that even after you exit the app by hitting the Home button, it is still running in the background...unless you leave Safari open to a blank page before exiting the app...and yes I know a reboot, power cycle, or doing the Power/Home button finger dance (pre-iOS 4.x) will kill Safari also...but I digress.

Again, the above applies to pre-iOS 4.x...and yes, the "check for new mail" bug/glitch/feature/whatever is a known issue.  I assume Apple hasn't really done much to "fix" this glitch because they feel that folks would always want to be checking their email, whether manually or automatically...and as a result, they allow the Mail app to run in the background even after the user exits the app, so that it'll already be running if/when the user wishes to open the Mail app again.  Also, it needs to remain running in the background in order for Mail push/fetch to work correctly.

[ Edited ]
22 of 24 (719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 8:47:15 AM
(0)
Master

Then you should report it on Apple.com as a bug.

Tarheel72 wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Then you should report it on Apple.com as a bug.

Tarheel72 wrote:

johninsj wrote:

23 of 24 (702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 9:14:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Tarheel72 wrote:
I don't remember if thaty setting was in the old operating system or not

It was not, the email settings are slightly different in iOS4. *if* you are game, try deleing all your email accounts - as long as they are NOT POP3, your mail should remain on the servers just fine.

Anyway delete all email accounts. Then power OFF the phone (press and hold power until slide to power off...) then restart phone. Now add back your email account(s).

If that "fixes" it, then you are seeing a bug in the migration of email account info from iPhone 3.x to iOS4. If it doesn't fix it, then I'm stumped.

Tarheel72 wrote:
I don't remember if thaty setting was in the old operating system or not

It was not, the email settings are slightly different in iOS4. *if* you are game, try deleing all your email accounts - as long as they are NOT POP3, your mail should remain on the servers just fine.

Anyway delete all email accounts. Then power OFF the phone (press and hold power until slide to power off...) then restart phone. Now add back your email account(s).

If that "fixes" it, then you are seeing a bug in the migration of email account info from iPhone 3.x to iOS4. If it doesn't fix it, then I'm stumped.

24 of 24 (675 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments