iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

Highlighted
Tutor

iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

I got my iPhone 4 last week. I am mostly on WI-FI and have turned Push OFF and set my e-mails to manual donwload. Yet, I see the iPhone 4 downloading e-mails, since the Home screen shows new e-mails in the Mail icon. How can I turn this off? I do not want to download e-mails unless I need to. So far, the only way to stop this is to turn off Cellular Data. 

 

I also found cellular data being consumed even when connected to a Wi-FI network.

 

With AT&T's limit on data plans, Apple needs to add a dialog that asks if cellular data if going to be incurred and let the user allow or decline it.

Message 1 of 24 (1,804 Views)
Tutor

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

Any suggestions on how to prevent e-mail downloads unless I specifically request to download them?

Message 2 of 24 (1,757 Views)
Professor

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

Are you closing the Mail program after checking your mail?  Because of the multi-tasking feature, programs don't really "close" any more.  Double click the home button to bring up the multitasking bar at the bottom, which shows your open programs.  Hold an icon until it starts jiggling, and the red minus icon is shown in the corner.  Press it to stop the program.  That's the only thing I can think of.

 

I assume you have checked the setting for all your eamil accounts?  Fetch data off, push off, fetch set to manual, and checked the settings for each email account using the advanced button at the very bottom of the fetch data screen?

 

If everything is off or in manual, and the program isn't open in the multitasking bark, then it should not be getting new email on it's own.  Other than trying a reboot or restoring the phone, I can't think of anything else.  If it keeps doing it, take it to the Genius Bar at an Apple store.

Message 3 of 24 (1,743 Views)
Guru

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

Sounds to me like your not closing the Mail program. I tend to do that sometimes myself nto realize I left the email program open until I hear the new email tone. Just remember to double click the home button and close out the email app.

Message 4 of 24 (1,720 Views)
Guru

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

 


dwill05 wrote:

Are you closing the Mail program after checking your mail?  Because of the multi-tasking feature, programs don't really "close" any more.  Double click the home button to bring up the multitasking bar at the bottom, which shows your open programs.  Hold an icon until it starts jiggling, and the red minus icon is shown in the corner.  Press it to stop the program.  That's the only thing I can think of.

 

I assume you have checked the setting for all your eamil accounts?  Fetch data off, push off, fetch set to manual, and checked the settings for each email account using the advanced button at the very bottom of the fetch data screen?

 

If everything is off or in manual, and the program isn't open in the multitasking bark, then it should not be getting new email on it's own.  Other than trying a reboot or restoring the phone, I can't think of anything else.  If it keeps doing it, take it to the Genius Bar at an Apple store.


^^^^^
as stated up there
try ending the program completely after you are done

 

Message 5 of 24 (1,719 Views)
Scholar

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

Even if the program is not ended, if he hasn't opened the program then it's not going to auto-fetch for new mail unless the setting is set to do so.

 

Go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars etc.. > Fetch New Data > and turn OFF Push. Then choose Manually for the Fetch time.

 

Then scroll down to Advanced, click your Mail Account, and make sure that setting is set to Manual as well.

 

You may have not changed that last setting, and many people seem to not realize there is a second option that needs to be set.

 

Cheers.

Message 6 of 24 (1,711 Views)
Mentor

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

Pushing this topic to the top because I am having the same problem.  I have a 3Gs and it showed up after I updated to the new operating system.  Everything is turned off, including the advanced settings.  program is NOT running in multitask, but it still grabs emails.  Can not get it to stop.  Never had the problem under old system and have never pushed emails.  Only have one account, same one I always had.  Anyone find a solution to this?

Message 7 of 24 (1,464 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual


Tarheel72 wrote:

Pushing this topic to the top because I am having the same problem.  I have a 3Gs and it showed up after I updated to the new operating system.  Everything is turned off, including the advanced settings.  program is NOT running in multitask, but it still grabs emails.  Can not get it to stop.  Never had the problem under old system and have never pushed emails.  Only have one account, same one I always had.  Anyone find a solution to this?


It will only grab emails if you have set it to fetch them periodically. Setting it to manual will make it fetch whenever you open the mail app.
Check your settings again.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 24 (1,440 Views)
Mentor

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual


johninsj wrote:
It will only grab emails if you have set it to fetch them periodically. Setting it to manual will make it fetch whenever you open the mail app.
Check your settings again.

Thanks for the reply but you are wrong.  If you do a google search you will see that several people are having this same issue.  The email app is not running, not even in multitask.  Under settings, fetch is set to manual, push is set to off.  Under the advanced tab, the email account is set to manual.   The phone still checks for email periodically.  Some have mentioned that it seems to do it when they use Safari.  I have not found this to be the case.  Sometimes when I get up in the morning it has grabbed email during the night when no other apps are open at all.  Obviously there is some bug in OS4.  If everything is set to manual and the email ap is closed, it should not check for or download any email, but it does.

Message 9 of 24 (1,433 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

Well, I don't know - several people report the darndest things on the internet.

 

For the fun of it, how about you simply disable the email account in settings. Then, when you want email, enable it. That surely will keep it from checking email.

 

Note that email is one of the apps Apple always restarts in the background even if you kill it. There are a few key apps that are always kept running for performance reasons.

 

If you make a change to the email fetch settings, you can always Power Off your phone, and then restart it to make sure your changes have been applied.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 24 (1,403 Views)
Professor

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

Be sure you have your entire system set to manual:

  • settings-mail-fetch new data
  • Push-OFF
  • Fetch-Manual
  • Advanced-Account-Schedule Manual
Message 11 of 24 (883 Views)
Mentor

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual


josephz2va wrote:

Be sure you have your entire system set to manual:

  • settings-mail-fetch new data
  • Push-OFF
  • Fetch-Manual
  • Advanced-Account-Schedule Manual

Does anyone read before they post?  First of all the settings are exactly the same as they have been for over a year.  The only thing that changed was the operating system.  Second, I have verified the settings, please read three posts previous to this one.  Third I have reset the phone and it does no good.  And fourth, there are plenty of forums just like this one that are as good a resource and other people have noticed the same exact problem.  Apparently there is something in the new operating system that over-rides the settings.  Unless someone has experienced this problem and successfully corrected it, please don't keep telling me to be sure everything is turned off.

Message 12 of 24 (874 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

 


Tarheel72 wrote:

First of all the settings are exactly the same as they have been for over a year.  The only thing that changed was the operating system. 


Did you restored from the backup made from pre-4.0, or set it up as a new iPhone?

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 24 (865 Views)
Mentor

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

Not sure I understand your question.  I simply plugged the 3Gs into the computer, opened iTunes and checked for updates.  iTunes downloaded the new operating system.  As far as I know that is how most everyone got the new operating system.  If iTunes made a back up, I am not aware of it.  I am pretty sure it was not set up as a new iPhone, none of my data was changed or lost.  All I have done is update from iTunes and everything has worked fine, except for this random fetching of email for no apparent reason.  For instance, it happened twice this morning, but not once this afternoon.

Message 14 of 24 (862 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: iPhone 4 downloads e-mails when push is off and e-mails are set to manual

Ok, so that's a restore from backup. It's also a 3GS vs an iP4, which might make a difference as well - the performance of iOS4 on the 3/3GS has been not great.

 

Was your 3GS ever jailbroken?

 

All I can suggest is hang in there for the 4.1 update due in September. It should help.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 24 (851 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.