iPhone 4 Shocking Surprise

Master

iPhone 4 Shocking Surprise

I found this article to be very interesting. A passenger who boarded an Australian Airline flight's iPhone 4 apparently self-combusted on board during the flight. Kind of reminds me of that one incident when that one guy's Verizon Droid X exploded while he was taking a call.

Read here: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/28/iphone-4-experiences-self-combustion-aboard-just-landed-aircraft...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 1 of 5 (384 Views)
Former Employee

Re: iPhone 4 Shocking Surprise

Well if it was happening with many units I would agree, but it's just one report.
Message 2 of 5 (356 Views)
Master

Still, I find it amazing how the back of it could shatter like glass without being dropped and such. I sure wouldn't want my iPhone to look like that!

When the phone exploded, people probably thought there might have been a terrorist on the plane... Smiley Very Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 5 (326 Views)
ACE - Professor

Looks like a battery malfunction. Happens. Pretty rare, and usually due to a short that heats the battery up until it swells.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5 (287 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

the battery is a  lithium polymer battery and once they get hot  they spur out  huge amounts of smoke and get very hot.  I race RC cars we use lipo batteries ( lithium polymer batteries) they are stable but if they swell up or  charge up improperly they will do that.

Message 5 of 5 (260 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.