Helpful Links

iPhone 4 SIM cards

Teacher

iPhone 4 SIM cards

Will the 3G SIM cards work in the new iPhone 4?

Message 1 of 28
Scholar

Re: iPhone 4 SIM cards

yea but the sim card number wont be mine it will be my step dads an i need to change it to mine because im not using my upgrade im using his

Message 16 of 28
Teacher

I've got the same question. I'm on a family plan, and my phone line isn't eligible for an upgrade, though another line in the plan is. My plan is basically to do the following: 1. Order iPhone 4 online and have it shipped to my house 2. Activate it on Itunes 3. Call AT&T and ask them to switch the number from the family members line and onto mine Does anyone have experience doing this with the 3GS or 3G? I've upgraded other lines and swapped before, but never for an iPhone, and never with a MicroSim involved. Does the Microsim come with the other number on it, and if so, will I need to get a new sim card, or can AT&T swap the number over the phone? I'm trying to avoid having to wait in line at an AT&T store near launch day if it's at all possible. Should I activate via Itunes before or after I call AT&T? Thanks in advance.
Message 17 of 28
Teacher

Will the AT&T store have the ability to upload the info from my old 3G sim card? When I bought the 3G they uploaded all of my contacts from my Nextel i880. My 3G is dead but I still have the sim that was in it.

Message 18 of 28
Master

ahhfoo wrote:

Will the AT&T store have the ability to upload the info from my old 3G sim card? When I bought the 3G they uploaded all of my contacts from my Nextel i880. My 3G is dead but I still have the sim that was in it.

If you had a 3G you should have been syncing it with iTunes on your computer so all your information should already be on your computer to sync back to the new iPhone when you set it up.

Message 19 of 28
Teacher

Planet-Ed wrote:

If you had a 3G you should have been syncing it with iTunes on your computer so all your information should already be on your computer to sync back to the new iPhone when you set it up.

Yes I am hoping that too but I am also worried that because it was my 5th devices and no longer working I will have to agree to remove it before adding the new on and therefore could lose the backup??

Message 20 of 28

Wondering this same thing myself.  My stepdad's contract is up in July, and we were going to get the iPhone 4 on his contract (he doesn't care) and use it with mine. Ignoring the Micro-SIM issues (I can work those out), what activation issues would we run into?

Message 21 of 28

ACTIVATE PHONE FIRST!!!!!

NOTE:  READ THIS.....

I just got the new phone off the truck and rushed to AT&T to re-assign numbers on all the SIM cards (my wife could upgrade, I could not).  BUT DON'T DO WHAT I DID.  The phones come hard-coded with the number that you've put in for eligibility of upgrade.  So YOU MUST ACTIVATE THE PHONE WITH THAT NUMBER FIRST.  THEN, you can go to or call AT&T to have the numbers re-assigned to the appropriate SIM cards.  It's not a problem to re-assign.  They won't tell you to stay on our original phone or anything.  But, you MUST ACTIVATE WITH ORIGINAL NUMBER, sync it up, THEN you talk to AT&T to get things swapped out.

Message 22 of 28

Re: iPhone 4 SIM card SWAP

UPDATE: nearly 5 hours have passed with a trip to the AT&T store for a new SIM card, I now have no "old phone" nor do I have a working "new" iPhone 4.  Again, ACTIVATE YOUR PHONE FIRST with the original number on the order, THEN you can get with AT&T (phone or in person) to swap out SIM card information.  Now this is costing me business as my business line is my cell phone line and now my line is down while Apple and AT&T attempt to get things working properly.  6 support calls and still nothing.  It sucks to be an early adopter sometimes!

Message 23 of 28
Highlighted

just cut the sim to micro sim size.

Message 24 of 28
Mentor

chaoticdad,  will the other person's phone stop working then if I go ahead and activate the new phone first?

Message 25 of 28

Yes, the other phone will stop working once you activate (as for as I'm told), however, you can call AT&T or visit a store right after that and get the other phone working with whatever "good" SIM (IMEI number) you have on the account.

Message 26 of 28

Cutting sim cards is not an option for me.  I pay a truck load of money to have multiple phones on a single account.  I should be able to put any new phone on the account, so long as I have a phone that "eligible" for upgrade.  But now with the iPhone 4 coming delivered (pre-orders only, mind you) hard-coded with the "eligible" number in it, I wanted to ensure that others did not suffer the same painful issue I have.  I shouldn't have to "engineer" something like a sim card in order for things to work.  With 600,000 pre-orders for the iPhone 4, I'm confident that others will want to ultimately use a different line than the one that the phone was originally ordered and if that's the case, I just wanted to warn them to first activate the phone as-ordered, with the number that was used to place the order.  Then, work with AT&T to get the lines re-assigned as you'd like (the cool phone goes to XYZ, the older one gets passed down, etc.).

Message 27 of 28
Contributor

Re: ACTIVATE PHONE FIRST!!!!!

What about if this is a new acct? Would I have the same issues you did if I want to use another micro sim?

I'm buying the phones on ebay and will need new micro sim cards from AT&T. Chances are the phones were not activated by the original owner.

Please let me know your opinion on this subject.

Message 28 of 28
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support