Ask a question

Posted Dec 25, 2010
    6:35:25 AM
    View profile
    iPhone 4 + MicroCell = voice dropping in and out for other party

I haven't been able to verify this with any other devices using my MicroCell. Everyone that I have had come over who has AT&T uses an iPhone. 

The issue that I have been having supersedes the "blessing" that I now have 5-bars of service in my apartment. Despite showing a strong connection, the other party I speak to regularly complains about poor audio quality -- not being able to hear my voice due to the fact that it drops in and out. I've tested this myself by calling a separate phone number and leaving voicemails for myself.

Has anyone who has experienced this found have a resolution? My Comcast connection is great and I've tried repositioning the MicroCell in multiple areas of the apartment.

iPhone 4 + MicroCell = voice dropping in and out for other party

17 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (17)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 1, 2011 5:57:44 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    I have had it happen recently as well, and with 2 iPhone 4's. Everything seems to be working fine. Using Charter Cable for Internet service. MCell is setup in priority mode.

Re: iPhone 4 + MicroCell = voice dropping in and out for other party

2 of 18 (3,311 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 2, 2011 5:13:02 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

No resolution found so far. We're having to give up and go back to a landline, because the service is so bad with or without microcell.

3 of 18 (3,249 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 2, 2011 7:50:07 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Just wanted to update this thread with the fact that despite the MicroCell being in priority mode, calls are still cutting in and out for the other contact on the line. 

This MicroCell is becoming the worst hardware investment I have ever made.

4 of 18 (3,232 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 11, 2011 10:02:43 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

I have this very same issue.  What I have noticed is it only happens when iPhone to iPhone.  If I am talking to someone on a non iPhone, the problem doesn't exist.  I know it's not my iPhone nor the other person as I do not have this problem if I am on a cell tower talking.

5 of 18 (2,791 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 30, 2011 1:07:50 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I have the same problem but not just talking with an iPhone. The other person (on a landline or Verizon mobile for example) comes through clearly but I am told my voice is intermittently unintelligible.

6 of 18 (2,291 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 7, 2011 3:01:38 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Someone just told me this was happening when I was on the phone with them.

Just swapped wires around to put the Micro Cell in priority mode.

Cable Modem > MC > Router

Let you know if this helped or not. 

I hope it will or I will just put the Micro Cell back in the box. Glad I didnt pay for it. Man Wink

7 of 18 (2,096 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 25, 2011 5:23:32 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Same problem for me.  Doesn't matter what kind of phone the other person is using.  Doesn't happen every time.  But if the person tells me my voice is cutting in and out,  I have to hang up, turn off the microcell and call them back.  They can hear me fine once I'm back on normal AT&T service.   Frustrating!  $149 and I can't use the darn thing reliably.

8 of 18 (1,879 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 27, 2011 5:18:23 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Add Blackberry Bold 9700 to this list.  I've noticed that about every 15 minute intervals I'm told while on a conf. bridge that I can't be heard.  People on the bridge start saying "hello, hello" until I finally come back.  I've also noticed this interval of 15 minutes has dropped to like at 6 minutes and 3 minutes...  I also have an iPhone 4 and same issue...  I have H/W v2.0 and deployed as such TWC--Cisco 871W--3GMC.

9 of 18 (1,827 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2011 3:58:10 AM
    (0)
    Employee
    you need to contact technical support and found out if your calls are handing off to the actual towers. that's probably the problem.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 18 (1,811 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 28, 2011 5:09:01 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Well,

After about month of having the MC setup in priority mode I can say that the issues we were having are gone.  Calls come in clear and no one says that our voice is going in and out. Hope this helps. 

11 of 18 (1,454 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 3, 2011 5:46:49 PM
    (0)
    Voyager

How do you set the MC to priority? When we first got ours, it worked consistantly. Just set it up according to instructions.

For the past several months, it's hit or miss. May go all day logged into it. Or may go for 2 or 3 days without. Might be on it, leave the house, come back and won't reconnect.

Have done all the resetting, talked to CS (no help).

Right now, my phone is on the MC, my husband's is not. Tried the airplane mode switch for my huband's, didn't work.

12 of 18 (1,405 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 3, 2011 6:56:36 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Hi there, It's a pretty easy setup but you need to have a modem and a router

Alternate Connection – Use this option if you are unable to activate your MicroCell using the "I have a network" connection or you are experiencing voice quality issues and are a heavy Internet bandwidth user. 
    NOTE: This connection can only be used if you have both a modem and router.
    (Modem > MicroCell > Router) 

1. Disconnect the existing Ethernet cable between your modem and router from your modem.
    2. Connect the existing Ethernet cable to the "Computer" port on your MicroCell (the other end should still be connected to your router).
    3. Connect the yellow Ethernet cable to the "Ethernet" port on your MicroCell and the Ethernet port on your modem.
    If you scroll down to mid page you'll see a diagram of it as well.
    good luck! 
    It also help if your MC is near a window as well. 

13 of 18 (1,397 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 6, 2011 10:31:27 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Don't forget this issue may well not be the phone or MicroCell at all, it may be your Internet service.

Suggest trying this test to check it out:

http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/

14 of 18 (1,340 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 6, 2011 1:11:16 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Same problem here!

I was very depressed to have the people on my first few calls on my Microcell be disrupted by people says "what" every few mins. I had a friend that is a network engineer call me and he asked "are you on a really bad IP phone"?

I called support... we ran thru about an hour worth of stuff. Didn't help. I got on my ATT U-Verse router and moved the Microcell to the DMZ so it had no firewall and also manually set the speed of the ethernet port the mircocell was using.

I am on a 24/3 MB (tests as 23 down and 3 up) ATT U-Verse connection... single guy, no one else in the house doing anything on my connection when I am on the phone. I don't even subscribe to the TV portion of U-Verse, so you can't blame it on that. I am running a SINGLE iPhone 4 on the Microcell.

Have used VOIP services for years like Vonage and NEVER had this problem. I

I think the problem is in the microcell box or the equipment/bandwith ATT has on the OTHER SIDE.

The support people offered to replace the Micrcell, but after reading this here, I don't think that is going to help.

15 of 18 (1,330 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 15, 2011 1:40:30 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I have the same issue with an iPhone 3GS and anybody who calls me. Pretty much have had this issue since I've had my Microcell. Just waiting out for my contract to finish really...

16 of 18 (1,268 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 30, 2011 5:29:20 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

***UPDATE***

I actually returned my original 3G MicroCell prior to the (1) and got a brand new 3G MicrCell and I must say that this issue seems to have gone away for both my (2) iPhone 4's and my (1) Blackberry Bold (9700).  AT&T would fix so many issues if they corrected things from the ground up which would translate to so many satisfied customers.  Stuff like this makes me rethink AT&T as my cell phone provider.  Now that Verizon has the iPhone, they are looking better and better everytime AT&T just lets these issue go one forever and although I would missing talking on the phone and surfing the web or texting at the same time, at least, I can talk.  Lets get that right first AT&T.  FIX THE 3G MICROCELL ECO-SYSTEM...

17 of 18 (1,140 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 1, 2011 7:35:49 AM
    (0)
    Contributor
    I had major voice quality issuses in priority mode. Switched it to have a network mode and now am having major issues with dropping of calls. Was dropped 4 times in a half hours time, turned my 3G off until I was finished talking. It's really frustrating because I've exhausted all options to fix these problems....seriously thinking about taking this piece of junk back and telling them no thank you and to spend the money to fix the actual tower in my area.

18 of 18 (1,110 Views)