Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 21, 2011
2:02:45 PM
View profile
iPhone 4 MMS Send Message Failure

Is there a definitive solution for the failed MMS issue? Anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the MMS's I attempt to send result in the "Send Message Failure" error. I've reset the carrier, restored, rebooted... basically tried all of the solutions I can find. I have an iPhone 4 running OS 5.0.1 (the issue started long before I upgraded.) It happens when I'm on 3G and when on WiFi... sometimes after multiple tries will eventually go through, but not always.

Is there a definitive solution for the failed MMS issue? Anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the MMS's I attempt to send result in the "Send Message Failure" error. I've reset the carrier, restored, rebooted... basically tried all of the solutions I can find. I have an iPhone 4 running OS 5.0.1 (the issue started long before I upgraded.) It happens when I'm on 3G and when on WiFi... sometimes after multiple tries will eventually go through, but not always.

iPhone 4 MMS Send Message Failure

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2011 2:24:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

MMS messages do not and cannot send via Wi-Fi, they must be sent over the cellular data network.

When these issues occur, is Cellular Data turned on?  Are you in an area with good coverage?

Does it occur more in a specific area or areas?

MMS messages do not and cannot send via Wi-Fi, they must be sent over the cellular data network.

When these issues occur, is Cellular Data turned on?  Are you in an area with good coverage?

Does it occur more in a specific area or areas?

Re: iPhone 4 MMS Send Message Failure

2 of 7 (17,663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2011 2:48:35 PM
(0)
Guru
MMS can be sent over wifi. I just turned off cellular and just off wifi was able to send an MMS. If not than how could the iPad and itouch send iMessages?
MMS can be sent over wifi. I just turned off cellular and just off wifi was able to send an MMS. If not than how could the iPad and itouch send iMessages?

3 of 7 (17,653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2011 2:49:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

iMessage is not MMS.  MMS only sends over the cellular data network.

iMessage is not MMS.  MMS only sends over the cellular data network.

4 of 7 (17,651 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2011 3:01:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

There's not really any rhyme or reason to it that I can tell... it happens both when I have a full signal and when I only have a couple of bars. I'm on WiFi at all times when at home because my phone shows "No Service" when I'm inside my house (another very frustrating issue)... Some of the messages do eventually go through after multiple tries, even when I'm connected to WiFi, so now I'm more confused than ever. What's the reasoning behind not allowing MMS on WiFi? Is that a limitation of the iPhone or AT&T?

There's not really any rhyme or reason to it that I can tell... it happens both when I have a full signal and when I only have a couple of bars. I'm on WiFi at all times when at home because my phone shows "No Service" when I'm inside my house (another very frustrating issue)... Some of the messages do eventually go through after multiple tries, even when I'm connected to WiFi, so now I'm more confused than ever. What's the reasoning behind not allowing MMS on WiFi? Is that a limitation of the iPhone or AT&T?

5 of 7 (17,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2011 3:43:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

MMS like text messages only works on the cellular network.  It's not a limitation of AT&T or the iPhone, all phones work like that.

If you have no service at home, then MMS and text messages will not work at your home.  Just like calls will not work without cell service.

MMS like text messages only works on the cellular network.  It's not a limitation of AT&T or the iPhone, all phones work like that.

If you have no service at home, then MMS and text messages will not work at your home.  Just like calls will not work without cell service.

6 of 7 (17,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2011 3:51:58 PM
(0)
Former Employee

ms_nola wrote:

It is not a limitation of AT&T or the iphone, that is just the way MMS works on all carriers. By the way, neither MMS or normal text messages will get sent (or received) when you have "No Service" showing. Anyway, what you are describing sounds like a poor 3G data connection. You might want to try turning off 3G and trying Edge. Another alternative is try an app that will do MMS messages over wifi. Another option is to send your MMS messages via email. If you are sending to another ATT user, just send them to "cellular number@mms.att.net". There are similar email gateways for other carriers.

Yes, I know you are thinking, how can an app do MMS messages over wifi when I just said MMS does not work over wifi. All of those apps use some sort of gateway or server that is reachable via wifi that forwards the MMS or text message to the cellular network.

ms_nola wrote:

It is not a limitation of AT&T or the iphone, that is just the way MMS works on all carriers. By the way, neither MMS or normal text messages will get sent (or received) when you have "No Service" showing. Anyway, what you are describing sounds like a poor 3G data connection. You might want to try turning off 3G and trying Edge. Another alternative is try an app that will do MMS messages over wifi. Another option is to send your MMS messages via email. If you are sending to another ATT user, just send them to "cellular number@mms.att.net". There are similar email gateways for other carriers.

Yes, I know you are thinking, how can an app do MMS messages over wifi when I just said MMS does not work over wifi. All of those apps use some sort of gateway or server that is reachable via wifi that forwards the MMS or text message to the cellular network.

7 of 7 (17,636 Views)