Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 29, 2010
10:56:35 PM
View profile
iPhone 4 Getting really hot

I just got my iPhone 4 a little over a week ago and I noticed when I take pics or video it gets really hot! I just joined the forum today and Im new to this so Im not really sure if Im doing this right. So if I screw something up I apologize. So back to the phone. I was wondering if this is a common problem and if its something I should be concerned about. Its mainly in the top right corner all around the camera. It didn't mess anything else up like the screen or any functions, just really hot. It happens with and without the case on. So Im just wondering if people are taking them back or exchanging them because if this. It seems to me like eventually it will melt or screw something up. Just let me know what you guys think. Any info will be appreciated! Thanks

I just got my iPhone 4 a little over a week ago and I noticed when I take pics or video it gets really hot! I just joined the forum today and Im new to this so Im not really sure if Im doing this right. So if I screw something up I apologize. So back to the phone. I was wondering if this is a common problem and if its something I should be concerned about. Its mainly in the top right corner all around the camera. It didn't mess anything else up like the screen or any functions, just really hot. It happens with and without the case on. So Im just wondering if people are taking them back or exchanging them because if this. It seems to me like eventually it will melt or screw something up. Just let me know what you guys think. Any info will be appreciated! Thanks

iPhone 4 Getting really hot

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2010 12:19:24 AM
(0)
Mentor

That happened to my old iPhone 3G..Is this worse than that?

That happened to my old iPhone 3G..Is this worse than that?

Re: iPhone 4 Getting really hot

2 of 14 (2,741 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2010 4:42:18 AM
(0)
Professor
All iphones generate heat on usage. It's common. Using games, nav, Internet, etc can heat up the device. You can turn off the device for a minute or add a case.

I wish developers added 30pin powered cooling unit cases. Smiley Tongue
All iphones generate heat on usage. It's common. Using games, nav, Internet, etc can heat up the device. You can turn off the device for a minute or add a case.

I wish developers added 30pin powered cooling unit cases. Smiley Tongue

3 of 14 (2,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2010 4:43:33 AM
(0)
Professor
PS: don't play in the hot weather with the iPhone too long. It shuts off at 95F.
PS: don't play in the hot weather with the iPhone too long. It shuts off at 95F.

4 of 14 (2,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2010 6:07:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

all electronics get hot when used, especially computers that run at lower clock rates or even turn off when idle. The iPhone is no exception, and is no different than other cell phones.

On the iPhone, long calls or long sessions doing any high demand task will warm it up. It shouldn't get massively hot unless it's already hot due to being summer.

It won't melt. It will give you a temp warning and shut itself off it it overheats. If you happen to live somewhere where overheating makes it useless in the summer, you probably still have time to return it.

all electronics get hot when used, especially computers that run at lower clock rates or even turn off when idle. The iPhone is no exception, and is no different than other cell phones.

On the iPhone, long calls or long sessions doing any high demand task will warm it up. It shouldn't get massively hot unless it's already hot due to being summer.

It won't melt. It will give you a temp warning and shut itself off it it overheats. If you happen to live somewhere where overheating makes it useless in the summer, you probably still have time to return it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 14 (2,671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 12:59:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for your feed back everyone! That would be nice if they had a cooling case! And yes it did get alot hotter than my 3g ever did. It was to the point that I couldn't hold it to my face cause I could feel extreme heat coming from it! But I don't really need to worry about that anymore cause I discovered a bigger issue today. I was shaking the phone while playing a game and there's something rattling inside! Its not anything small either. I was shaking it and my friend from across the room could hear it. So Ill be taking it in tomorrow to find out what's going on. Im pretty sure the outcome is going to suck no matter what. I think 1 of 2 thing will happen. 1) They tell me sorry about your luck it tests fine and we see nothing wrong with it. 2) We will replace the unit but have to put you on a waitng list for the new one! I know that sounds negative but Im just going off past experiences I've had with apple. Oh and my email is totally screwed up too. I keep getting messages that say this message has no content and I can't delete it. Eventually it just goes away. OK my venting for the day is done!Smiley Wink

Thanks for your feed back everyone! That would be nice if they had a cooling case! And yes it did get alot hotter than my 3g ever did. It was to the point that I couldn't hold it to my face cause I could feel extreme heat coming from it! But I don't really need to worry about that anymore cause I discovered a bigger issue today. I was shaking the phone while playing a game and there's something rattling inside! Its not anything small either. I was shaking it and my friend from across the room could hear it. So Ill be taking it in tomorrow to find out what's going on. Im pretty sure the outcome is going to suck no matter what. I think 1 of 2 thing will happen. 1) They tell me sorry about your luck it tests fine and we see nothing wrong with it. 2) We will replace the unit but have to put you on a waitng list for the new one! I know that sounds negative but Im just going off past experiences I've had with apple. Oh and my email is totally screwed up too. I keep getting messages that say this message has no content and I can't delete it. Eventually it just goes away. OK my venting for the day is done!Smiley Wink

6 of 14 (2,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 3:17:50 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by paradiseez on Jul 31, 2010 at 3:19:07 AM

omg really?? I used a lot of apps, music, text etc with my iPhone 3g. If I didn't have a full snap case on, I could have burnt my hands. J/K =p But it did feel hot..I live in Southern Cali and I never used it  in hot environment

sumofo wrote:

The most typical time is when I sat in 2 hour presentation, albeit in a nice cool room/place.

And about the shaking unidentified object in the iPhone 4 (o_O), plealse keep us updated with your info. Gluck! Smiley Happy

p/s: what email service/account you're talking about?

omg really?? I used a lot of apps, music, text etc with my iPhone 3g. If I didn't have a full snap case on, I could have burnt my hands. J/K =p But it did feel hot..I live in Southern Cali and I never used it  in hot environment

sumofo wrote:

The most typical time is when I sat in 2 hour presentation, albeit in a nice cool room/place.

And about the shaking unidentified object in the iPhone 4 (o_O), plealse keep us updated with your info. Gluck! Smiley Happy

p/s: what email service/account you're talking about?

[ Edited ]
7 of 14 (2,558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 5:16:39 AM
(0)
Professor

I do agree that the i4 gets hotter than the 3G and 3GS, but I have a working explanation:

• The iPhone 4 was redesigned to have a glass body versus plastic body. The plastic body insulated the heat but had a higher concentration of protection.
  • Glass like any other doesn't have a higher concentration of protection. If you touch your car window on a very hot day, the glass is very hot.
  • The i4 heats up the very same way. It's parts generate an excessive amount of heat and touches the glass and frame, making it very hot.
So in a sense, your i4 is like the sun heating up on the glass.

I do agree that the i4 gets hotter than the 3G and 3GS, but I have a working explanation:

• The iPhone 4 was redesigned to have a glass body versus plastic body. The plastic body insulated the heat but had a higher concentration of protection.
  • Glass like any other doesn't have a higher concentration of protection. If you touch your car window on a very hot day, the glass is very hot.
  • The i4 heats up the very same way. It's parts generate an excessive amount of heat and touches the glass and frame, making it very hot.
So in a sense, your i4 is like the sun heating up on the glass.

8 of 14 (2,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 10:40:11 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by sumofo on Jul 31, 2010 at 10:43:19 PM

The email problems are happening with my yahoo account. I found out it goes away when I reboot the phone. Doesn't solve the problem but at least I can get the messages off that way. About the rattling. I checked it out before going in and its the power button on top(I felt kinda stupid). I assumed this is probably a normal thing and would ask people on here if there ip4 does that too before I go to he store and look like  fool.I don't think I should be able to hear it shake around in there though. Thanks everyone for the heat issue comments. That all makes sense especially since I live in AZ. So you if have any info on the loose power buttons or have this problem too and know anything about a fix  let me know. Thanks

The email problems are happening with my yahoo account. I found out it goes away when I reboot the phone. Doesn't solve the problem but at least I can get the messages off that way. About the rattling. I checked it out before going in and its the power button on top(I felt kinda stupid). I assumed this is probably a normal thing and would ask people on here if there ip4 does that too before I go to he store and look like  fool.I don't think I should be able to hear it shake around in there though. Thanks everyone for the heat issue comments. That all makes sense especially since I live in AZ. So you if have any info on the loose power buttons or have this problem too and know anything about a fix  let me know. Thanks

[ Edited ]
9 of 14 (2,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 10:49:05 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by paradiseez on Jul 31, 2010 at 10:49:58 PM

Ok so I got my phone today and right after that, I went to a park and (unfortunately) had to spend a longgggggggggggggg time under the brutal sun of Southern California. What a hot day...

Anyways, I noticed when I was in the car (wasn't even at the park yet!), the iPhone was *warm*. It wasn't hot, just warm. But the speed its temperature increased was MUCH faster than my 3G. I was using it for probably 15-30 minutes =/ Installing applications, retreiving emails etc. And our car obviously had AC.

I continued to use it when we are under the sun for a while but it seemed that the temperature stayed the same. The battery is said to be ~7hr but it died so quickly I don't see much difference with the older models. =( Instead of a cooling case, I need an on the go charger, fast!

Ok so I got my phone today and right after that, I went to a park and (unfortunately) had to spend a longgggggggggggggg time under the brutal sun of Southern California. What a hot day...

Anyways, I noticed when I was in the car (wasn't even at the park yet!), the iPhone was *warm*. It wasn't hot, just warm. But the speed its temperature increased was MUCH faster than my 3G. I was using it for probably 15-30 minutes =/ Installing applications, retreiving emails etc. And our car obviously had AC.

I continued to use it when we are under the sun for a while but it seemed that the temperature stayed the same. The battery is said to be ~7hr but it died so quickly I don't see much difference with the older models. =( Instead of a cooling case, I need an on the go charger, fast!

[ Edited ]
10 of 14 (2,454 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 8:37:03 AM
(0)
Professor

in oklahoma hot days arfe 95 and up for days in. my iphone 4 does have warmer temps the my 3GS,i have notice the back gets slightly warmer. but nothing to worry about. i was on my iphone 4 for about 45 minutes wit ha friend call never dropped but it was very warm. or when i am on the net or playing a game i notice it gets warm. next time when i am home and i am on my phone for long time il use my Temp GUN and take a temp reading and post it up.

some other ppl i have spoken with says its something they ignore as long as the phone does not melt down or the heat cause internal damage. but they can live with it.  its all inclosed so really no way to let the heat escape.

in oklahoma hot days arfe 95 and up for days in. my iphone 4 does have warmer temps the my 3GS,i have notice the back gets slightly warmer. but nothing to worry about. i was on my iphone 4 for about 45 minutes wit ha friend call never dropped but it was very warm. or when i am on the net or playing a game i notice it gets warm. next time when i am home and i am on my phone for long time il use my Temp GUN and take a temp reading and post it up.

some other ppl i have spoken with says its something they ignore as long as the phone does not melt down or the heat cause internal damage. but they can live with it.  its all inclosed so really no way to let the heat escape.

hello!!!

11 of 14 (1,870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 9:31:46 AM
(0)
Guru

josephz2va wrote:

Now waiting for someone to chime in that his/her iPhone never gets warm during usage...probably the same person who also claims that they've never had a dropped call, signal issue, or any one of the other numerous iPhone complaints that are constantly being mentioned in various phone forums, on their own phones.

josephz2va wrote:

Now waiting for someone to chime in that his/her iPhone never gets warm during usage...probably the same person who also claims that they've never had a dropped call, signal issue, or any one of the other numerous iPhone complaints that are constantly being mentioned in various phone forums, on their own phones.

12 of 14 (1,861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 10:53:13 AM
(0)
Scholar
Not going to say I never have any problems (No sim, antenna, proximity big time) but I sat my phone next to me in the car - the sun didn't take long to heat it up - I had to hold it to the AC vent to cool it down. Other than that it gets warm using some aps or vids.
You don't want to let it overheat as some of the above posters have mentioned.
Not going to say I never have any problems (No sim, antenna, proximity big time) but I sat my phone next to me in the car - the sun didn't take long to heat it up - I had to hold it to the AC vent to cool it down. Other than that it gets warm using some aps or vids.
You don't want to let it overheat as some of the above posters have mentioned.

13 of 14 (1,851 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 11:01:44 AM
(0)
Professor

tonester wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

tht person is "ME"  no dropped calls at all so far. my iphone 4  does get warm but nothing new to me. all electronics get hot after use. due to current draw laptops heat up from use and home pc's  and so on.

tonester wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

tht person is "ME"  no dropped calls at all so far. my iphone 4  does get warm but nothing new to me. all electronics get hot after use. due to current draw laptops heat up from use and home pc's  and so on.

hello!!!

14 of 14 (1,848 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments