Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 26, 2011
2:07:39 PM
View profile
iPhone 4 Data Question

Please bare with me, this is a very unique situation and I'll try to include as many deatils as I can. So, here goes.

I currently have AT&T wireless service in a family plan with 5 lines. I believe we currently have the family plan with either 700 or 1400 minutes and the unlimited texting plan where you get free calls to any U.S. mobile phone. Everyone in the plan has a "dumbphone" but I recently decided to buy an iPhone 4 (it should arrive today) from eBay OFF CONTRACT. I plan on using the SIM in my current phone on the new iPhone 4. However, I have read that you are required to have a data plan with ANY smartphone. So, here's my question: Is it possible for me to add an individual data plan just for my line so I may use the iPhone and still be part of the family plan and use the minutes and unlimited texting? If yes, how would I go about doing this and would I need the login credentials of the primary account holder to do this?

Thank you in advance.

Please bare with me, this is a very unique situation and I'll try to include as many deatils as I can. So, here goes.

I currently have AT&T wireless service in a family plan with 5 lines. I believe we currently have the family plan with either 700 or 1400 minutes and the unlimited texting plan where you get free calls to any U.S. mobile phone. Everyone in the plan has a "dumbphone" but I recently decided to buy an iPhone 4 (it should arrive today) from eBay OFF CONTRACT. I plan on using the SIM in my current phone on the new iPhone 4. However, I have read that you are required to have a data plan with ANY smartphone. So, here's my question: Is it possible for me to add an individual data plan just for my line so I may use the iPhone and still be part of the family plan and use the minutes and unlimited texting? If yes, how would I go about doing this and would I need the login credentials of the primary account holder to do this?

Thank you in advance.

iPhone 4 Data Question

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2011 3:42:38 PM
(0)
Expert

needhelpquick wrote:

Thank you in advance.

smartphone data plans are per line, you will just add it to the iphone, you have two choices, 200mb and 2GB, if you need to tether, that is a a different plan with 4gb of data. You can do it online or just call in, but you will need authorization from the primary account holder. The cost of the plans are 15.00 for 200mb, 25.00 for 2GB and 45.00 for 4GB with tethering

needhelpquick wrote:

Thank you in advance.

smartphone data plans are per line, you will just add it to the iphone, you have two choices, 200mb and 2GB, if you need to tether, that is a a different plan with 4gb of data. You can do it online or just call in, but you will need authorization from the primary account holder. The cost of the plans are 15.00 for 200mb, 25.00 for 2GB and 45.00 for 4GB with tethering

Re: iPhone 4 Data Question

2 of 4 (235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2011 7:45:33 AM
(0)
Guru
Wingrider is correct. I have 5 lines and we have added data to each line when they moved to smart phones individually with no issues at all.
Wingrider is correct. I have 5 lines and we have added data to each line when they moved to smart phones individually with no issues at all.

3 of 4 (179 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2011 6:23:34 PM
(0)
Employee
Keep in mind you're also going to need a new sim. The iPhone 4 uses a micro sim, you can get one at any store. And the above posts are 100% correct, data plans are per line, the plan will only effect your line and not the others.
Keep in mind you're also going to need a new sim. The iPhone 4 uses a micro sim, you can get one at any store. And the above posts are 100% correct, data plans are per line, the plan will only effect your line and not the others.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 4 (162 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments