iPhone 4 Cases

Mentor

iPhone 4 Cases

I know Apple will be releasing "bumpers" but any news of it iFrogz or Speck will be creating cases to cover the whole phone?

Message 1 of 26 (3,390 Views)
Professor

Re: iPhone 4 Cases

[ Edited ]
You could be right. We'll certainly see.
Message 16 of 26 (1,393 Views)
Guru

SLIKRICK wrote:

I think the new phone is drop-dead beautiful.

If the glass is as strong as they say its going to be, I think I'd rather just put on an Invisible Shield protector, front and back and leave it at that.

I couldn't bear to cover that thing up! Smiley Very Happy

Watch this video if you havent. At 5:20 they show the screen and shows them bending the glass. Look at how far that thing bends!

http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/#design-video

Message 17 of 26 (1,359 Views)
Scholar

Maduro wrote:

Well that opinion is really based upon nothing....as no phone has this new glass.

Well there is this... http://www.ifixyouri.com/blog/?p=59

Caution: Graphic damage to the front glass of an iPhone 4 Case

Dave

Message 18 of 26 (1,324 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

dave006 wrote:

Maduro wrote:

Well that opinion is really based upon nothing....as no phone has this new glass.

Well there is this... http://www.ifixyouri.com/blog/?p=59

Caution: Graphic damage to the front glass of an iPhone 4 Case

Dave

I'm calling that site out. That looks fake. Look at every picture of the iPhone 4 the front camera even on the black face is very noticable. Wheres the camera on theirs? Only thing i see next to the ear peice is what resembles the light sensor on like the 3GS screen. I tried to find two pictures from the same angle and this was as close as i could find. Also if its real wheres the side buttons?? It looks like its a empty shell.

iFixyouriGizmodo

Message 19 of 26 (1,296 Views)

does anybody know if at&t will be selling the bumpers? i wasnt sure about getting a case, but i get a discount on accessories at at&t, so might as well use it. just that lil protection is koo, cause you can still see the beauty of the phone

Message 20 of 26 (1,281 Views)
Expert

Maduro wrote:

So the big question is why would you need a case or screen protector.

The front and back are the special new glass (like a sapphire crystal on a watch) which is suppose to be scratch proof and impact resistant.

The frame is steel.

Better question - are you willing to wager a 200-800 investment on the chance that the screen and water resistance is beeter then the older phones. I know that the otterbox defender has protected my iphone and to date has not had the water sensors triggered due to the added protection of the otterbox.

Cheap reasurrance at 50.00 for the case.

Message 21 of 26 (1,166 Views)
Teacher

Well the video does call to attention the following:

Sapphire crystal type material is highly scratch resistant and flexible

Sapphire crystal type material is brittle if hit the right way

Same as watches (Mineral crystal is used for impact resistance). Flame fushion is suppose to be the best of both worlds.

So I would conclude from the ifixit article...

1. Case is a good idea,

2. Screen protector...not needed.

Message 22 of 26 (1,140 Views)
Teacher

BTW....

This was clearly stated:

"We have a full iPhone 4(minus the circuit board), here at our shop and decided to do a little drop test."

Message 23 of 26 (1,136 Views)
Professor

I've seen enough marketing claims come up short in my life to know its more prudent to, at the least, put on some sort of film protection. At least until this things been out for awhile and there's a track record established.

There's always a "special, new material" that's supposed to be scratch proof, shatter proof, unbreakable or otherwise indestructible. Rarely, if ever do those claims get proven correct.

I'm old enough to remember when CD's were first introduced. They were touted for their superior fidelity, which was factual. But most people today would probably be surprised to hear of another claim to fame of CDs at the time: indestructability.

They were supposed to be scratch proof, and last 100 years according to some who were "in the know." We all know how that's turned out. Even now, some 30 years later; with presumably better manufactiring technology than back then, CDs are as fragile as anything you can imagine.

Heck, when the iPhone first hit the market just 3 short years ago, there were a slew of claims that the secreen was so strong at that time. There were videos all over YouTube, "attesting" to its scratch proof properties. Guys were sawing on them with keys, dropping the things on linoleum tile. Then they'd go outside, and slam them face down on asphalt parking lots and concrete sidewalks. Then they'd hold the iPhone up and show there was no damage.

And there wasn't.

Then came the real world. Where iPhone screen break, and completely shatter with the apparent ease of Ritz crackers. Why didn't they scratch and break in the "demonstrations"?

Beats the heck outta me.

Like I said I'll take a wait and see stance on this whole thing until I've seen better. But I'll say this: I guarantee you there are going to be a slew of shattered iPhone 4 screens displayed on this very website just in the few coming weeks alone, let alone scratched ones. But, hey, we can all believe what we want.

I'll cover mine, thank you, at least for now. You do what you like.

Message 24 of 26 (1,089 Views)
Expert

SLIKRICK wrote:

I've seen enough marketing claims come up short in my life to know its more prudent to, at the least, put on some sort of film protection. At least until this things been out for awhile and there's a track record established.

There's always a "special, new material" that's supposed to be scratch proof, shatter proof, unbreakable or otherwise indestructible. Rarely, if ever do those claims get proven correct.

I'm old enough to remember when CD's were first introduced. They were touted for their superior fidelity, which was factual. But most people today would probably be surprised to hear of another claim to fame of CDs at the time: indestructability.

They were supposed to be scratch proof, and last 100 years according to some who were "in the know." We all know how that's turned out. Even now, some 30 years later; with presumably better manufactiring technology than back then, CDs are as fragile as anything you can imagine.

Heck, when the iPhone first hit the market just 3 short years ago, there were a slew of claims that the secreen was so strong at that time. There were videos all over YouTube, "attesting" to its scratch proof properties. Guys were sawing on them with keys, dropping the things on linoleum tile. Then they'd go outside, and slam them face down on asphalt parking lots and concrete sidewalks. Then they'd hold the iPhone up and show there was no damage.

And there wasn't.

Then came the real world. Where iPhone screen break, and completely shatter with the apparent ease of Ritz crackers. Why didn't they scratch and break in the "demonstrations"?

Beats the heck outta me.

Like I said I'll take a wait and see stance on this whole thing until I've seen better. But I'll say this: I guarantee you there are going to be a slew of shattered iPhone 4 screens displayed on this very website just in the few coming weeks alone, let alone scratched ones. But, hey, we can all believe what we want.

I'll cover mine, thank you, at least for now. You do what you like.

When it comes to things like this, most people believe in Murphy's Law - what ever can go wrong will go wrong at the worst possible time. Me I believe in O'toole's law whcih is - Murphy was a optimist

Message 25 of 26 (1,073 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Except that Sapphire Crystal has been proven to be highly scratch resistent.

Message 26 of 26 (1,039 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.