Posted Jun 8, 2010
6:24:17 PM
iPhone 4 Cases

I know Apple will be releasing "bumpers" but any news of it iFrogz or Speck will be creating cases to cover the whole phone?

I know Apple will be releasing "bumpers" but any news of it iFrogz or Speck will be creating cases to cover the whole phone?

iPhone 4 Cases

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 6:37:47 PM
(0)
Master

tracysc1985 wrote:

Not yet.  The iPhone 4 with its new specs were just revealed so to going to take manufactures some time to get their products developed and out the door.  So it will happen but not just right now. 

tracysc1985 wrote:

Not yet.  The iPhone 4 with its new specs were just revealed so to going to take manufactures some time to get their products developed and out the door.  So it will happen but not just right now. 

Re: iPhone 4 Cases

2 of 26 (3,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 1:05:33 PM
(0)
Teacher

Case-mate.com already has pics of the cases for iphone 4 on their site. 

Case-mate.com already has pics of the cases for iphone 4 on their site. 

3 of 26 (3,136 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 1:10:49 PM
(0)
Professor
They all say, "coming soon."
They all say, "coming soon."

4 of 26 (3,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 1:25:35 PM
(0)
Mentor

You can sign up for notification from Vaja for when their cases are ready for ordering. I think the 3G wait was 45 days when those cases were first released. The wait is always worth it though. My first gen Iphone still looks BEAUTIFUL because of it's three Vaja cases. Not one dead pixel either and I've had that phone A LONG time!

You can sign up for notification from Vaja for when their cases are ready for ordering. I think the 3G wait was 45 days when those cases were first released. The wait is always worth it though. My first gen Iphone still looks BEAUTIFUL because of it's three Vaja cases. Not one dead pixel either and I've had that phone A LONG time!

5 of 26 (3,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 1:34:01 PM
(0)
Expert

more partial to the otter box defender series, protected my 3gs through a lot of abuse, hopefully they will have it out soon

more partial to the otter box defender series, protected my 3gs through a lot of abuse, hopefully they will have it out soon

6 of 26 (3,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 1:36:31 PM
(0)
Guru

I am hoping iFrogz comes out with somethign like their slim 3G/GS cases. I like having cases to protect my phone but I dont like the bulky cases like Otterbox. I am generally not that rough on a phone to need one like that anyways.

I am hoping iFrogz comes out with somethign like their slim 3G/GS cases. I like having cases to protect my phone but I dont like the bulky cases like Otterbox. I am generally not that rough on a phone to need one like that anyways.

7 of 26 (3,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 1:50:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

I use an OtterBox. I really want to protect my investment, and since I work mostly outside in the elements, I need maximum protection. I purchased my 1st OtterBox when I got my 3G, they noted a design flaw and sent me a new case free! I cannot say enough about the case and the feeling that the phone is usable and very protected. The case might be expensive for some (about $50) and overkill for others, but I wouldn't trust any other case. 

The good news is that they are in production now and you can sign up to be notified when the new iPhone 4 cases arrive: 

http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-4-cases-coming-soon

I use an OtterBox. I really want to protect my investment, and since I work mostly outside in the elements, I need maximum protection. I purchased my 1st OtterBox when I got my 3G, they noted a design flaw and sent me a new case free! I cannot say enough about the case and the feeling that the phone is usable and very protected. The case might be expensive for some (about $50) and overkill for others, but I wouldn't trust any other case. 

The good news is that they are in production now and you can sign up to be notified when the new iPhone 4 cases arrive: 

http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-4-cases-coming-soon

8 of 26 (3,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 1:57:15 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by SLIKRICK on Jun 9, 2010 at 2:03:01 PM

I think the new phone is drop-dead beautiful.

If the glass is as strong as they say its going to be, I think I'd rather just put on an Invisible Shield protector, front and back and leave it at that.

I couldn't bear to cover that thing up! :smileyvery-happy:

If the glass is as strong as they say its going to be, I think I'd rather just put on an Invisible Shield protector, front and back and leave it at that.

[ Edited ]
9 of 26 (3,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 2:05:21 PM
(0)
Mentor

It IS pretty! One of the reasons I stuck with my old Iphone all this time is because it is so much prettier than the 3G and 3GS. Too much plastic on those phones for my taste. (Of course the $20 unlimited data with 200 texts was another reason!) THIS version; however is tempting me!

It IS pretty! One of the reasons I stuck with my old Iphone all this time is because it is so much prettier than the 3G and 3GS. Too much plastic on those phones for my taste. (Of course the $20 unlimited data with 200 texts was another reason!) THIS version; however is tempting me!

10 of 26 (3,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 2:09:38 PM
(0)
Professor

A little off topic, but does anyone know if there's a very small lip that holds the glass up off a counter of table?

It looks in the pictures like there's a barely perceptible grommet that runs around the perimeter of the front and back glass panels.

That would be awesome, considering the amount of scratching that could go on, just picking it up and putting it down everyday over a period of time.

A little off topic, but does anyone know if there's a very small lip that holds the glass up off a counter of table?

It looks in the pictures like there's a barely perceptible grommet that runs around the perimeter of the front and back glass panels.

That would be awesome, considering the amount of scratching that could go on, just picking it up and putting it down everyday over a period of time.

11 of 26 (1,412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 2:47:40 PM
(0)
Mentor
Companies like Belkin, iLuv, Scosche, Cygnett, Case-Mate, and a couple others have already posted their iPhone 4 cases at their respective websites. Also, NLU (Bodyguardz) and Zagg have their new screen protection kits available for purchase!

Check it all out!
Companies like Belkin, iLuv, Scosche, Cygnett, Case-Mate, and a couple others have already posted their iPhone 4 cases at their respective websites. Also, NLU (Bodyguardz) and Zagg have their new screen protection kits available for purchase!

Check it all out!

12 of 26 (1,387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 4:46:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

So the big question is why would you need a case or screen protector.

The front and back are the special new glass (like a sapphire crystal on a watch) which is suppose to be scratch proof and impact resistant.

The frame is steel.

The front and back are the special new glass (like a sapphire crystal on a watch) which is suppose to be scratch proof and impact resistant.

The frame is steel.

13 of 26 (1,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 4:52:26 PM
(0)
Professor

Well, basically, because as we all know there's no such thing.

Sure, there are harder substances, and more scratch resistance in some than in others. But trust, after you've had that phone for awhile, there will be some scratches on the glass on front, as well as on back (we won't even get into the "steel") of the frame.

So basically if I want to keep my device looking good for a longer period of time, some sort of protection, rather than none, will probably be in the cards.

YMMV.

Well, basically, because as we all know there's no such thing.

Sure, there are harder substances, and more scratch resistance in some than in others. But trust, after you've had that phone for awhile, there will be some scratches on the glass on front, as well as on back (we won't even get into the "steel") of the frame.

So basically if I want to keep my device looking good for a longer period of time, some sort of protection, rather than none, will probably be in the cards.

YMMV.

14 of 26 (1,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 5:33:58 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well that opinion is really based upon nothing....as no phone has this new glass.

Well that opinion is really based upon nothing....as no phone has this new glass.

15 of 26 (1,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 7:39:35 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by SLIKRICK on Jun 9, 2010 at 7:48:40 PM
You could be right. We'll certainly see.
You could be right. We'll certainly see.

[ Edited ]
16 of 26 (1,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 8:34:39 PM
(0)
Guru

SLIKRICK wrote:

Watch this video if you havent. At 5:20 they show the screen and shows them bending the glass. Look at how far that thing bends!

http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/#design-video

SLIKRICK wrote:

Watch this video if you havent. At 5:20 they show the screen and shows them bending the glass. Look at how far that thing bends!

http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/#design-video

17 of 26 (1,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 10:50:04 PM
(0)
Scholar

Maduro wrote:

Well there is this... http://www.ifixyouri.com/blog/?p=59

Caution: Graphic damage to the front glass of an iPhone 4 Case

Dave

Maduro wrote:

Dave

18 of 26 (1,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 1:22:24 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Neihn on Jun 10, 2010 at 1:24:01 AM

dave006 wrote:

Maduro wrote:

Dave

I'm calling that site out. That looks fake. Look at every picture of the iPhone 4 the front camera even on the black face is very noticable. Wheres the camera on theirs? Only thing i see next to the ear peice is what resembles the light sensor on like the 3GS screen. I tried to find two pictures from the same angle and this was as close as i could find. Also if its real wheres the side buttons?? It looks like its a empty shell.

iFixyouriGizmodo

dave006 wrote:

Maduro wrote:

Dave

I'm calling that site out. That looks fake. Look at every picture of the iPhone 4 the front camera even on the black face is very noticable. Wheres the camera on theirs? Only thing i see next to the ear peice is what resembles the light sensor on like the 3GS screen. I tried to find two pictures from the same angle and this was as close as i could find. Also if its real wheres the side buttons?? It looks like its a empty shell.

iFixyouriGizmodo

[ Edited ]
19 of 26 (1,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 3:16:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

does anybody know if at&t will be selling the bumpers? i wasnt sure about getting a case, but i get a discount on accessories at at&t, so might as well use it. just that lil protection is koo, cause you can still see the beauty of the phone

does anybody know if at&t will be selling the bumpers? i wasnt sure about getting a case, but i get a discount on accessories at at&t, so might as well use it. just that lil protection is koo, cause you can still see the beauty of the phone

20 of 26 (1,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 3:17:36 AM
(0)
Expert

Maduro wrote:

The frame is steel.

Better question - are you willing to wager a 200-800 investment on the chance that the screen and water resistance is beeter then the older phones. I know that the otterbox defender has protected my iphone and to date has not had the water sensors triggered due to the added protection of the otterbox.

Cheap reasurrance at 50.00 for the case.

Maduro wrote:

The frame is steel.

Better question - are you willing to wager a 200-800 investment on the chance that the screen and water resistance is beeter then the older phones. I know that the otterbox defender has protected my iphone and to date has not had the water sensors triggered due to the added protection of the otterbox.

Cheap reasurrance at 50.00 for the case.

21 of 26 (1,060 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 7:08:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

Well the video does call to attention the following:

Sapphire crystal type material is highly scratch resistant and flexible

Sapphire crystal type material is brittle if hit the right way

Same as watches (Mineral crystal is used for impact resistance). Flame fushion is suppose to be the best of both worlds.

So I would conclude from the ifixit article...

1. Case is a good idea,

2. Screen protector...not needed.

Well the video does call to attention the following:

Sapphire crystal type material is highly scratch resistant and flexible

Sapphire crystal type material is brittle if hit the right way

Same as watches (Mineral crystal is used for impact resistance). Flame fushion is suppose to be the best of both worlds.

So I would conclude from the ifixit article...

1. Case is a good idea,

2. Screen protector...not needed.

22 of 26 (1,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 7:11:48 AM
(0)
Teacher

BTW....

This was clearly stated:

"We have a full iPhone 4(minus the circuit board), here at our shop and decided to do a little drop test."

BTW....

This was clearly stated:

"We have a full iPhone 4(minus the circuit board), here at our shop and decided to do a little drop test."

23 of 26 (1,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 10:45:10 AM
(0)
Professor

I've seen enough marketing claims come up short in my life to know its more prudent to, at the least, put on some sort of film protection. At least until this things been out for awhile and there's a track record established.

There's always a "special, new material" that's supposed to be scratch proof, shatter proof, unbreakable or otherwise indestructible. Rarely, if ever do those claims get proven correct.

I'm old enough to remember when CD's were first introduced. They were touted for their superior fidelity, which was factual. But most people today would probably be surprised to hear of another claim to fame of CDs at the time: indestructability.

They were supposed to be scratch proof, and last 100 years according to some who were "in the know." We all know how that's turned out. Even now, some 30 years later; with presumably better manufactiring technology than back then, CDs are as fragile as anything you can imagine.

Heck, when the iPhone first hit the market just 3 short years ago, there were a slew of claims that the secreen was so strong at that time. There were videos all over YouTube, "attesting" to its scratch proof properties. Guys were sawing on them with keys, dropping the things on linoleum tile. Then they'd go outside, and slam them face down on asphalt parking lots and concrete sidewalks. Then they'd hold the iPhone up and show there was no damage.

And there wasn't.

Then came the real world. Where iPhone screen break, and completely shatter with the apparent ease of Ritz crackers. Why didn't they scratch and break in the "demonstrations"?

Beats the heck outta me.

Like I said I'll take a wait and see stance on this whole thing until I've seen better. But I'll say this: I guarantee you there are going to be a slew of shattered iPhone 4 screens displayed on this very website just in the few coming weeks alone, let alone scratched ones. But, hey, we can all believe what we want.

I'll cover mine, thank you, at least for now. You do what you like.

I've seen enough marketing claims come up short in my life to know its more prudent to, at the least, put on some sort of film protection. At least until this things been out for awhile and there's a track record established.

There's always a "special, new material" that's supposed to be scratch proof, shatter proof, unbreakable or otherwise indestructible. Rarely, if ever do those claims get proven correct.

I'm old enough to remember when CD's were first introduced. They were touted for their superior fidelity, which was factual. But most people today would probably be surprised to hear of another claim to fame of CDs at the time: indestructability.

They were supposed to be scratch proof, and last 100 years according to some who were "in the know." We all know how that's turned out. Even now, some 30 years later; with presumably better manufactiring technology than back then, CDs are as fragile as anything you can imagine.

Heck, when the iPhone first hit the market just 3 short years ago, there were a slew of claims that the secreen was so strong at that time. There were videos all over YouTube, "attesting" to its scratch proof properties. Guys were sawing on them with keys, dropping the things on linoleum tile. Then they'd go outside, and slam them face down on asphalt parking lots and concrete sidewalks. Then they'd hold the iPhone up and show there was no damage.

And there wasn't.

Then came the real world. Where iPhone screen break, and completely shatter with the apparent ease of Ritz crackers. Why didn't they scratch and break in the "demonstrations"?

Beats the heck outta me.

Like I said I'll take a wait and see stance on this whole thing until I've seen better. But I'll say this: I guarantee you there are going to be a slew of shattered iPhone 4 screens displayed on this very website just in the few coming weeks alone, let alone scratched ones. But, hey, we can all believe what we want.

24 of 26 (983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 11:00:35 AM
(0)
Expert

SLIKRICK wrote:

And there wasn't.

Beats the heck outta me.

When it comes to things like this, most people believe in Murphy's Law - what ever can go wrong will go wrong at the worst possible time. Me I believe in O'toole's law whcih is - Murphy was a optimist

SLIKRICK wrote:

And there wasn't.

Beats the heck outta me.

When it comes to things like this, most people believe in Murphy's Law - what ever can go wrong will go wrong at the worst possible time. Me I believe in O'toole's law whcih is - Murphy was a optimist

25 of 26 (967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 1:55:34 PM
(0)
Teacher

Except that Sapphire Crystal has been proven to be highly scratch resistent.

Except that Sapphire Crystal has been proven to be highly scratch resistent.

26 of 26 (933 Views)