iPhone 4 - Calls crackle, messages are delayed

Contributor

iPhone 4 - Calls crackle, messages are delayed

I've been having these issues for about 3 months now, with no solution in sight. Phone calls (incoming/outgoing) will periodically crackle/pop in and out. There is no regularity to this... time of day, location, etc. I've tested the mic with the voice memo app and the problem does not occur there. Also, my text messages and emails will periodically not be received in real time. I will be in the middle of a text conversation with someone, and suddenly I will stop receiving their texts... until some time later (usually 30-60 minutes) when I receive a slew of texts that they had sent in the mean time.

Some things I've tried (all with no affect):

-Restore to factory settings

-Restore network settings

-Reset phone

-Toggle airplane mode

-Update to latest software

-Replace SIM card

-Contact AT&T to have "my account settings reconfigured"

-Contact Apple for hardware diagnostics

Can anyone help shed light on this?

Message 1 of 6 (1,348 Views)
Professor

Re: iPhone 4 - Calls crackle, messages are delayed

Sounds like network issues.  Have you experienced this problem in multiple locations, over several miles distance?

Message 2 of 6 (1,343 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Yes. I live in Ohio and have experienced the issues in Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati. All of which are about 60 miles apart.

Message 3 of 6 (1,341 Views)
Master

Call customer care and report the issue. Most likely there is a network issue going on in your area. However, only AT&T will be able to tell you for sure.
Message 4 of 6 (1,323 Views)
Contributor

I've called them multiple times. AT&T blames the issue on Apple, and Apple blames the issue on AT&T. 

Message 5 of 6 (1,320 Views)

If you are covered under warranty you should just go into Apple and ask for a new one. Do it NICELY. Explain that you have been doing this for awhile, and you are just really tired of not being able to make simple calls.

Most likely if you get the right person, you can get it changed. If not, try a manager. I had mine changed when the phone wouldn't send MMS. So its VERY possible.

bradfordbk wrote:

I've called them multiple times. AT&T blames the issue on Apple, and Apple blames the issue on AT&T. 

Message 6 of 6 (1,239 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.