Wireless Forums

Posted Oct 1, 2010
3:59:31 PM
[iPhone 4] Caller can't hear me please HELP!

I got my iphone a week after it came out. Up until now I haven't really had any problems with it. But for the past few days, person on the line cannot hear me. It happens randomly. Sometimes I'll have a normal convo for like 5 mins and all of sudden the other person can't hear me. Now it has gotten worse....no one can hear me at all. This is very frustrating.

I'm running 4.0.1, I have done the hard resets, using a cover (no signal loss), etc...pretty much did everything except restoring. I know I should upgrade to the new OS and I will but upgrading/restoring is the last thing I want to do. Any ideas why this might be? I googled the apple forums and ppl seem to have the same problem but there isn't really a fix for it... 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

I got my iphone a week after it came out. Up until now I haven't really had any problems with it. But for the past few days, person on the line cannot hear me. It happens randomly. Sometimes I'll have a normal convo for like 5 mins and all of sudden the other person can't hear me. Now it has gotten worse....no one can hear me at all. This is very frustrating.

I'm running 4.0.1, I have done the hard resets, using a cover (no signal loss), etc...pretty much did everything except restoring. I know I should upgrade to the new OS and I will but upgrading/restoring is the last thing I want to do. Any ideas why this might be? I googled the apple forums and ppl seem to have the same problem but there isn't really a fix for it... 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

[iPhone 4] Caller can't hear me please HELP!

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 4:06:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

One thing that I would check Right when it happens is that your face could possibly hit the mute button on the screen. If the button is lit up blue, push it and check if the people can hear you again. This problem stems from the proximity sensor having an issue. Supposedly the 4.1 update corrected this problem. Mine did not get corrected, but it's worth a try!

One thing that I would check Right when it happens is that your face could possibly hit the mute button on the screen. If the button is lit up blue, push it and check if the people can hear you again. This problem stems from the proximity sensor having an issue. Supposedly the 4.1 update corrected this problem. Mine did not get corrected, but it's worth a try!

Re: [iPhone 4] Caller can't hear me please HELP!

2 of 5 (12,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 4:09:45 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by crickplayer on Oct 1, 2010 at 4:10:25 PM

yea that was annoying when I first got the phone and then got used to it holding in a way so it wouldn't press the mute button.  But this problem is def not the mute button. I've tried using the speaker phone, iphone headphones...same problem.  Like right now i just recieved a phone call, went ok for a few mins then it went quiet for the other person.

edit: i hope this is covered under iphones 1yr limited warranty cuz I didn't buy any extra insurances. 

yea that was annoying when I first got the phone and then got used to it holding in a way so it wouldn't press the mute button.  But this problem is def not the mute button. I've tried using the speaker phone, iphone headphones...same problem.  Like right now i just recieved a phone call, went ok for a few mins then it went quiet for the other person.

edit: i hope this is covered under iphones 1yr limited warranty cuz I didn't buy any extra insurances. 

[ Edited ]
3 of 5 (12,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 4:15:52 PM
(0)
Scholar

I would DEFINITELY take it to the Apple store then (I hope you have one close by), or at least call Apple to see what they have to say. I wouldn't deal with ATT at all. I had a friend that took his I4 to the Apple store because it had some crackling in external speaker. They replaced the phone without question. I know the Apple store can run a lot of diagnostics on the phone there and hopefully they could figure out your problem. Good luck!

I would DEFINITELY take it to the Apple store then (I hope you have one close by), or at least call Apple to see what they have to say. I wouldn't deal with ATT at all. I had a friend that took his I4 to the Apple store because it had some crackling in external speaker. They replaced the phone without question. I know the Apple store can run a lot of diagnostics on the phone there and hopefully they could figure out your problem. Good luck!

4 of 5 (12,635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 4:50:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

crickplayer wrote:

Yep... you'll have a new (refurb) phone in your hands in about 10 minutes. Be sure to sync/backup before you go in, because you'll be getting a blank slate activated with your sim/phone info.

This is one of the reasons why you buy an Apple phone. They don't mess around, they just swap for any obvious defect. You have a defect that is super easy to verify - just try using the Recorder app - if it doesn't record, your mic is dead.

crickplayer wrote:

Yep... you'll have a new (refurb) phone in your hands in about 10 minutes. Be sure to sync/backup before you go in, because you'll be getting a blank slate activated with your sim/phone info.

This is one of the reasons why you buy an Apple phone. They don't mess around, they just swap for any obvious defect. You have a defect that is super easy to verify - just try using the Recorder app - if it doesn't record, your mic is dead.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (12,612 Views)