iPhone 4 3G not working

Tutor

iPhone 4 3G not working

Hello! For about a week I've been having major issues with my 3G internet.....it seems to work fine when I am in Philly but for some crazy reason when I am in Jersey I have spotty connectivity at best and zero connectivity when I am at work. I've had the phone for about two months and have never had this issue. The phone works fine on my home wifi connection, but once I get to work it's like a dead zone, everything will time out (not that I should be checking Facebook at work, but it does keep me sort of sane....)

Anyway, what I have tried so far:

Turning phone on & off

Resetting phone by holding "Home" button and "Lock" button until Apple logo appears

Resetting network settings

Clearing cache in Safari

Turning 3G off and then back on

Resetting all settings

I have not done a "Restore" of the phone through iTunes but I fear that will be the next step if I don't smash it against a wall first. I'll probably end up visiting an Apple store on Saturday but If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Message 1 of 17 (25,956 Views)
Mentor

Re: iPhone 4 3G not working

What you describe sounds like a network issue.  Have you tried using the "Mark the Spot" app to report the issue or contacting customer service?

Message 2 of 17 (25,943 Views)
Tutor

I'm downloading the app now, thanks for the tip. And yes, I'm going to have to break down and contact customer support >_<

Message 3 of 17 (25,941 Views)
Contributor

I've been having the same issue for about the past week. Basically, my 3G connection has been lagging. It works fine for about 3-5 minutes then it drops off to not working at all.

I've done all the same things you have. I have full 3G bars but the data connection is totally junk.

Any help?

Message 4 of 17 (25,855 Views)
Contributor

Mine has stopped working when not at home.  The connection is too bad to load anything with the 3G for the last two days.  I have also tried restarting a few times.  Super irritated.

Message 5 of 17 (25,842 Views)
Tutor

I downloaded the app but you need an Internet connection to submit it sooo obviously that wasn't working for me. I sent an e-mail to AT&T and they said there's a tower down in my work area (Cinnaminson, NJ) and that they're working to repair it. I don't know if that's crap because it hasn't been working for almost three weeks now and my co-workers that have AT&T are connecting just fine. We'll see what happens I guess Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 17 (25,810 Views)
Master

Is cellular data activated?

To check, go to Settings > Network > Cellular Data > ON if it's not already turned on.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 7 of 17 (25,801 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been having the same issue at work. When i do the hard reset (lock and menu) it temporarily fixes the problem but its a pain in the [word filter evasion] to keep doing.  Is it an apple issue or an ATT issue? 

Message 8 of 17 (25,782 Views)
Tutor

Yes, cellular data is turned on. Apparently it IS AT&T's issue, not Apple. Again, I shouldn't be checking e-mail while I'm at work but I am being charged for this and I can't use it....very annoying Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 17 (25,752 Views)
ACE - Master

Svanira wrote:
Yes, cellular data is turned on. Apparently it IS AT&T's issue, not Apple. Again, I shouldn't be checking e-mail while I'm at work but I am being charged for this and I can't use it....very annoying Smiley Sad

A possible temporary workaround, try turning off 3G and connect via Edge. Go to Settings/General/Network, set Enable 3G to off.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 17 (25,746 Views)
Tutor

I'll try that again when I get to work tomorrow but I don't have much hope. Thanks for the tip though!
Message 11 of 17 (23,440 Views)
Contributor

My 3G works nowhere! Use WiFi, and email and messages send and receive fine. Turn off WiFi, and use only AT&T 3G, and instantly, nothing works. Cannot send or receive email. Cannot send or receive text messages. This is driving me crazy!

Message 12 of 17 (23,407 Views)
Tutor

Ok, the internet will work...albeit slowly when 3G is turned off and I'm connected to Edge. I'm afraid to know how much I'm being charged to access that though. How long do towers take to repair?

Message 13 of 17 (23,387 Views)
Master

I think reparing a downed tower could take anywhere from a couple hours to a few days, weeks, maybe even months. It just depends on how serious AT&T is about sending technical workers who can get out to the site and fix it. Of course, it also depends on the motivation of the repairmen.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 14 of 17 (23,382 Views)
Tutor

Looks like AT&T fixed the tower and my 3G is working fine now. Yay for checking Facebook at work >_>

Message 15 of 17 (23,353 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.