Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 25, 2011
12:55:24 PM
View profile
iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch Trade Advice, Please
As some of you may have noticed, I currently own an Apple iPod Touch 4th Generation that I've been using to post on these Forums for quite a while, now. I have had the Touch since Christmas of 2010, and I've been condsidering getting an iPhone as of lately to go along with my Android phone. A 3GS sounded like it would fit me well, considering I would be paying full price for the phone to be mine.

I posted a local ad on Craigslist saying that I would be willing to trade my iPod Touch for an Apple iPhone 3GS/4, if anyone would be interested. I got an e-mail last night from a motivated buyer, and I wanted to come here to make sure I would be making the right decision. You all are some knowledgeable folks and I was wondering if that sounds like a good trade to you.

Really, extras I would be getting would be:
Phone capabilities
Network text messaging capabilities
Better battery life(?)
And more memory space (the person who is willing to trade did not include the GB version of the 3GS. I would guess that it would be a 16GB - double of what I have now.

Things I would be missing out on:
Retina Display
Front-facing camera
Mirror-like finish on the back

Would any one you go through with this trade? Certainly, getting a phone in exchange for a media device would sound like a good deal to just about anyone. I am wondering though, for those of you who have or have had the iPhone 3GS, did it work out well for you? Not too slow/laggy, I woudn't be missing out from what my iPod Touch currently offers?

Thank you very much. Input is appreciated!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

As some of you may have noticed, I currently own an Apple iPod Touch 4th Generation that I've been using to post on these Forums for quite a while, now. I have had the Touch since Christmas of 2010, and I've been condsidering getting an iPhone as of lately to go along with my Android phone. A 3GS sounded like it would fit me well, considering I would be paying full price for the phone to be mine.

I posted a local ad on Craigslist saying that I would be willing to trade my iPod Touch for an Apple iPhone 3GS/4, if anyone would be interested. I got an e-mail last night from a motivated buyer, and I wanted to come here to make sure I would be making the right decision. You all are some knowledgeable folks and I was wondering if that sounds like a good trade to you.

Really, extras I would be getting would be:
Phone capabilities
Network text messaging capabilities
Better battery life(?)
And more memory space (the person who is willing to trade did not include the GB version of the 3GS. I would guess that it would be a 16GB - double of what I have now.

Things I would be missing out on:
Retina Display
Front-facing camera
Mirror-like finish on the back

Would any one you go through with this trade? Certainly, getting a phone in exchange for a media device would sound like a good deal to just about anyone. I am wondering though, for those of you who have or have had the iPhone 3GS, did it work out well for you? Not too slow/laggy, I woudn't be missing out from what my iPod Touch currently offers?

Thank you very much. Input is appreciated!

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch Trade Advice, Please

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 3:49:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Oct 25, 2011 at 3:51:12 PM
Oh, well. Guess no one responded quickly enough. I went through with the trade, and everything seems great, except that my Yahoo! e-mail address is not registering like it did on my Touch... The display isn't quite as good, but oh well...

Either or, impressed with what the iPhone has to offer, even if it's not the latest and greatest. Smiley Wink

Oh, well. Guess no one responded quickly enough. I went through with the trade, and everything seems great, except that my Yahoo! e-mail address is not registering like it did on my Touch... The display isn't quite as good, but oh well...

Either or, impressed with what the iPhone has to offer, even if it's not the latest and greatest. Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch Trade Advice, Please

[ Edited ]
2 of 20 (842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 4:35:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

iPod for an iphone 4 is a good deal

but ipod for a 3gs is kinda even value depend on the shape his 3gs is in.

iPod for an iphone 4 is a good deal

but ipod for a 3gs is kinda even value depend on the shape his 3gs is in.

3 of 20 (827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 5:39:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Right. I thought it was an even trade. It would have been nice if I had gotten an offer for an iPhone 4, but that person would likely have taken some losses on the deal.

Right. I thought it was an even trade. It would have been nice if I had gotten an offer for an iPhone 4, but that person would likely have taken some losses on the deal.

4 of 20 (820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 6:02:09 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Oct 25, 2011 at 6:02:46 PM

Does it have the same specs as your old Touch?

Good thing is now you have an iPod-enabled phone! Smiley Happy

You're miles ahead in what I came from (2nd Gen. Touch), no cam, no vid, no mic, slow as molasses. Smiley Very Happy

Does it have the same specs as your old Touch?

Good thing is now you have an iPod-enabled phone! Smiley Happy

You're miles ahead in what I came from (2nd Gen. Touch), no cam, no vid, no mic, slow as molasses. Smiley Very Happy

[ Edited ]
5 of 20 (811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 6:12:26 PM
(0)
Master

The 3GS is still a nice iPhone and since it is capable of running iOS 5 you will getting a lot of nice features with it. 

The 3GS is still a nice iPhone and since it is capable of running iOS 5 you will getting a lot of nice features with it. 

6 of 20 (806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 6:25:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
spd2demun, it has pretty much the same specs. I have 16GB of storage space as opposed to the original 8GB, I have a better camera and phone capabilities. The features that are lacking is a front-facing camera and the game-changing Retina display. Overall, I am pleased with the phone, even if it is white when I wanted the black one.

Irish Rose, thank you for your input, too. I have been thinking about updating this to iOS 5 when I get the chance.

spd2demun, it has pretty much the same specs. I have 16GB of storage space as opposed to the original 8GB, I have a better camera and phone capabilities. The features that are lacking is a front-facing camera and the game-changing Retina display. Overall, I am pleased with the phone, even if it is white when I wanted the black one.

Irish Rose, thank you for your input, too. I have been thinking about updating this to iOS 5 when I get the chance.

7 of 20 (803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2011 11:53:11 PM
(0)
Expert

White seems to be the more popular color on the 4S?  So maybe you'll have an easier time selling when you're ready to upgrade (if you do). Smiley Wink

White seems to be the more popular color on the 4S?  So maybe you'll have an easier time selling when you're ready to upgrade (if you do). Smiley Wink

8 of 20 (764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2011 3:10:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yes. It seems so. I'll still continue to have this for a while before I even think about upgrading. Smiley Wink

Yes. It seems so. I'll still continue to have this for a while before I even think about upgrading. Smiley Wink

9 of 20 (761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2011 3:23:16 AM
(0)
Expert

And you already have another phone. Smiley Wink

How is the white vs. black?  Other than less fingerprints showing?

And you already have another phone. Smiley Wink

How is the white vs. black?  Other than less fingerprints showing?

10 of 20 (756 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2011 12:38:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
To be honest, I never thought I would have a white phone, especially a white iPhone. The white is okay, but I still wish it was black. I like black better because it's more clean and has a nice edge to it that can't be beat over the white. It looks like the white also hides scratches better, though.

White is one of my favorite colors, just not so much on the exterior of my phone... Smiley Wink

To be honest, I never thought I would have a white phone, especially a white iPhone. The white is okay, but I still wish it was black. I like black better because it's more clean and has a nice edge to it that can't be beat over the white. It looks like the white also hides scratches better, though.

White is one of my favorite colors, just not so much on the exterior of my phone... Smiley Wink

11 of 20 (662 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2011 2:24:31 PM
(0)
Expert

I like black because I watch vids/UV TV on mine, so all black blends in more like a real TV, less distracting; but my son is wanting white, I'd never had thunk it! Smiley Very Happy

I like black because I watch vids/UV TV on mine, so all black blends in more like a real TV, less distracting; but my son is wanting white, I'd never had thunk it! Smiley Very Happy

12 of 20 (655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2011 3:22:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Neither did I. People have different opinions. For myself, once you go black, you never go back. Smiley Wink

Neither did I. People have different opinions. For myself, once you go black, you never go back. Smiley Wink

13 of 20 (651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 12:42:34 AM
(0)
Expert

Smiley Surprised

Smiley Surprised

14 of 20 (641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 5:57:36 AM
(0)
Master

Wild Banchi wrote:
It looks like the white also hides scratches better, though.

I have a case and screen save on my Black 4S that prevents it from getting scratched.

Wild Banchi wrote:
It looks like the white also hides scratches better, though.

I have a case and screen save on my Black 4S that prevents it from getting scratched.

15 of 20 (637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 5:59:15 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Eileen89 on Oct 28, 2011 at 5:59:57 AM

Wild Banchi wrote:
 For myself, once you go black, you never go back. Smiley Wink

Funny, people said this when I switched from my Blackberry Bold to the iPhone, but I haven't gone back yet. However, I am on my 3rd Black iPhone, lol. Smiley Very Happy

Wild Banchi wrote:

Funny, people said this when I switched from my Blackberry Bold to the iPhone, but I haven't gone back yet. However, I am on my 3rd Black iPhone, lol. Smiley Very Happy

[ Edited ]
16 of 20 (636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 7:35:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

spd2demun wrote:

Smiley Surprised

I'm just kidding, spd. I needed to put a joke in there. Smiley Wink

spd2demun wrote:

Smiley Surprised

I'm just kidding, spd. I needed to put a joke in there. Smiley Wink

17 of 20 (630 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 7:36:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Irish Rose wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

You serve as a perfect example, then, Irish Rose! Smiley Happy

Irish Rose wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

You serve as a perfect example, then, Irish Rose! Smiley Happy

18 of 20 (628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 7:48:00 PM
(0)
Scholar
Wild Banchi wrote:

That made me laugh out loud.
Wild Banchi wrote:

That made me laugh out loud.

19 of 20 (625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 9:40:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I was hoping I would get someone, Mrs. Thatsmyname.

"Oh nah-nah-that's my name..." Smiley Wink

I was hoping I would get someone, Mrs. Thatsmyname.

"Oh nah-nah-that's my name..." Smiley Wink

20 of 20 (620 Views)