iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch Trade Advice, Please

Master

iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch Trade Advice, Please

As some of you may have noticed, I currently own an Apple iPod Touch 4th Generation that I've been using to post on these Forums for quite a while, now. I have had the Touch since Christmas of 2010, and I've been condsidering getting an iPhone as of lately to go along with my Android phone. A 3GS sounded like it would fit me well, considering I would be paying full price for the phone to be mine.

I posted a local ad on Craigslist saying that I would be willing to trade my iPod Touch for an Apple iPhone 3GS/4, if anyone would be interested. I got an e-mail last night from a motivated buyer, and I wanted to come here to make sure I would be making the right decision. You all are some knowledgeable folks and I was wondering if that sounds like a good trade to you.

Really, extras I would be getting would be:
Phone capabilities
Network text messaging capabilities
Better battery life(?)
And more memory space (the person who is willing to trade did not include the GB version of the 3GS. I would guess that it would be a 16GB - double of what I have now.

Things I would be missing out on:
Retina Display
Front-facing camera
Mirror-like finish on the back

Would any one you go through with this trade? Certainly, getting a phone in exchange for a media device would sound like a good deal to just about anyone. I am wondering though, for those of you who have or have had the iPhone 3GS, did it work out well for you? Not too slow/laggy, I woudn't be missing out from what my iPod Touch currently offers?

Thank you very much. Input is appreciated!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 1 of 20 (883 Views)
Master

Re: iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch Trade Advice, Please

[ Edited ]
Oh, well. Guess no one responded quickly enough. I went through with the trade, and everything seems great, except that my Yahoo! e-mail address is not registering like it did on my Touch... The display isn't quite as good, but oh well...

Either or, impressed with what the iPhone has to offer, even if it's not the latest and greatest. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 20 (863 Views)
Teacher

iPod for an iphone 4 is a good deal

but ipod for a 3gs is kinda even value depend on the shape his 3gs is in.

Message 3 of 20 (848 Views)
Master

Right. I thought it was an even trade. It would have been nice if I had gotten an offer for an iPhone 4, but that person would likely have taken some losses on the deal.

Message 4 of 20 (841 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Does it have the same specs as your old Touch?

Good thing is now you have an iPod-enabled phone! Smiley Happy

You're miles ahead in what I came from (2nd Gen. Touch), no cam, no vid, no mic, slow as molasses. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 20 (832 Views)
Master

The 3GS is still a nice iPhone and since it is capable of running iOS 5 you will getting a lot of nice features with it. 

Message 6 of 20 (827 Views)
Master

spd2demun, it has pretty much the same specs. I have 16GB of storage space as opposed to the original 8GB, I have a better camera and phone capabilities. The features that are lacking is a front-facing camera and the game-changing Retina display. Overall, I am pleased with the phone, even if it is white when I wanted the black one.

Irish Rose, thank you for your input, too. I have been thinking about updating this to iOS 5 when I get the chance.

Message 7 of 20 (824 Views)
Expert

White seems to be the more popular color on the 4S?  So maybe you'll have an easier time selling when you're ready to upgrade (if you do). Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 20 (785 Views)
Master

Yes. It seems so. I'll still continue to have this for a while before I even think about upgrading. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 20 (782 Views)
Expert

And you already have another phone. Smiley Wink

How is the white vs. black?  Other than less fingerprints showing?

Message 10 of 20 (777 Views)
Master

To be honest, I never thought I would have a white phone, especially a white iPhone. The white is okay, but I still wish it was black. I like black better because it's more clean and has a nice edge to it that can't be beat over the white. It looks like the white also hides scratches better, though.

White is one of my favorite colors, just not so much on the exterior of my phone... Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 20 (683 Views)
Expert

I like black because I watch vids/UV TV on mine, so all black blends in more like a real TV, less distracting; but my son is wanting white, I'd never had thunk it! Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 20 (676 Views)
Master

Neither did I. People have different opinions. For myself, once you go black, you never go back. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 20 (672 Views)
Expert

Smiley Surprised

Message 14 of 20 (662 Views)
Master

Wild Banchi wrote:
It looks like the white also hides scratches better, though.

I have a case and screen save on my Black 4S that prevents it from getting scratched.

Message 15 of 20 (658 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.