iPhone 3GS - how do I control data usage?

Voyager

iPhone 3GS - how do I control data usage?

[ Edited ]

My wife has been happily using her iPhone for a couple of years now. First a 2G and then about 6 months ago I picked up a used 3GS from a buddy at work. We have never had a data plan - my wife uses the iPhone as a regular cell phone and only uses the data/internet features when we have Wi-Fi access. Again, been happy with this type of usage for a couple of years. This week we get a text from AT&T telling us we HAVE to sign up for a data plan since we have a "smart phone". I don't need a data plan. I've been getting along fine without a data plan for two years. Those comments fell on deaf ears at customer service. So here is my question - If we sign up for the 200MB data plan, and I want to make sure that we don't exceed 200MB, can I just turn off the 3G data feature in my wife's iPhone when she approaches 200MB? Will turning off 3G data affect her ability to use the iPhone as a phone or a Wi-Fi device?

Thanks for your time! 

Message 1 of 5 (13,430 Views)
Scholar

Re: iPhone 3GS - how do I control data usage?

In settings, you can go in and just turn off cellular data.  This won't affect wifi which is independent of any cellular network connection.  If you do ever need to use cellular data, just make sure to clear the useage data each at the start of your billing cycle so you can monitor it there.  If you only use it occasionally to look up something in safari or to find a business/service in google maps or such, you should easily stay below 200Mb.

I mainly use wifi, but still web surf and use news reader apps and such on cellular and I've never gone over 200Mb in one billing cycle (although I'm grandfathered in on the older unlimited data anyway).

Message 2 of 5 (13,415 Views)
ACE - Professor

Yes, you can turn off 3G data. Turn it off well in advance of 200MB, though, since the mywireless counter can lag behind actual use by 2-3 days, at worst.

The iPhone works great with wifi even in airplane mode - I used mine that way for a week in germany, jumping on wifi when available, with no issues.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5 (13,313 Views)

You can use an app like DataMan to track & manage your iPhone data usage in real time. It has custom usage alerts to prevent additional charges on your bill. It's available in App Store.

Message 4 of 5 (13,164 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

rwmock wrote:

My wife has been happily using her iPhone for a couple of years now. First a 2G and then about 6 months ago I picked up a used 3GS from a buddy at work. We have never had a data plan - my wife uses the iPhone as a regular cell phone and only uses the data/internet features when we have Wi-Fi access. Again, been happy with this type of usage for a couple of years. This week we get a text from AT&T telling us we HAVE to sign up for a data plan since we have a "smart phone". I don't need a data plan. I've been getting along fine without a data plan for two years. Those comments fell on deaf ears at customer service. So here is my question - If we sign up for the 200MB data plan, and I want to make sure that we don't exceed 200MB, can I just turn off the 3G data feature in my wife's iPhone when she approaches 200MB? Will turning off 3G data affect her ability to use the iPhone as a phone or a Wi-Fi device?

Thanks for your time! 

if you do not sign up for the data ((PLAN)) AT&T can Legally add it to your account. or terminate your Service

for Violation of (TOS) terms of service..becuase your using the Smart phone with out the required data plan. this  happen to a guy at my job. he got that same text BUT ignored it. so a couple of weeks passed, and one friday morning tryed to use his phone service was suspended  permanently.he called AT&T they told him you did not sign up for the data plan as  required for the iphone. instead of AT&T adding the DATA  plan his account was terminated.

yes turn off the 3G in settings.  i have unlimited  data but i use wifi a lot i turn off 3G at home becuase WiFi is so much faster for me.

Message 5 of 5 (13,152 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.