Ask a question

Posted May 20, 2011
    6:26:25 AM
    View profile
    iPhone 3GS, can it be a wifi hotspot? or can it be tethered to iPad 2?

Just upgraded to iPhone 3GS, with the $45 data plan.  My primary purpose of this is to be able to tether my iPad  for wifi when I am not at home.  I thought that I had chosen a capable phone, but now I am being told that perhaps you can only do this with the iPhone 4 unless you want to jailbreak your 3GS, which I do not.  Can anybody clear this up for me?  I am sorry I am not very tech savvy so laymen's terms would be appreciated! Smiley Happy

iPhone 3GS, can it be a wifi hotspot? or can it be tethered to iPad 2?

3 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (3)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 20, 2011 6:46:37 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    Edited by johninsj on May 20, 2011 at 6:50:39 AM

vanasscheb wrote:

Just upgraded to iPhone 3GS, with the $45 data plan.  My primary purpose of this is to be able to tether my iPad  for wifi when I am not at home.  I thought that I had chosen a capable phone, but now I am being told that perhaps you can only do this with the iPhone 4 unless you want to jailbreak your 3GS, which I do not.  Can anybody clear this up for me?  I am sorry I am not very tech savvy so laymen's terms would be appreciated! Smiley Happy

You can tether via USB or bluetooth with the 3Gs but you cannot create a wifi Hotspot. That's an iPhone4 only feature.

No Perhaps about it. It's clearly stated in on the AT&T and Apple website.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3574

iPhone requirements

The table below lists the iPhone models capable of Personal Hotspot and which connections they can use to share cellular data with another device:

USBBluetoothWi-Fi
    iPhone 3G* 
    iPhone 3GS 
    iPhone 4
    * On iPhone 3G, Personal Hotspot is referred to as Internet tethering.

And the AT&T site, for the addon says:

DataPro 4GB for iPhone

DataPro 4GB is required for use of Internet Tethering or Personal Hotspot. Internet Tethering over Bluetooth or USB requires iOS4.0 and iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, or iPhone 4. Personal Hotspot over Wi-Fi requires iOS4.3 and iPhone 4 .

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone 3GS, can it be a wifi hotspot? or can it be tethered to iPad 2?

[ Edited ]
    2 of 4 (8,728 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 20, 2011 7:02:04 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Thanks for the response!  Less attitude would be great next time.  Have a super day!

3 of 4 (8,720 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 20, 2011 10:21:59 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    Edited by johninsj on May 20, 2011 at 10:25:06 AM

vanasscheb wrote:

Thanks for the response!  Less attitude would be great next time.  Have a super day!

I wasn't trying for attitude, I apologize if it came across that way. I was just pointing out that it was quite definitively spelled out by both Apple and AT&T that the Tethering option doesn't include wifi hotspot on any iPhone but the iPhone4.

I'd be surprised if an AT&T sales person represented that wifi hotspot was possible on an iPhone3Gs or less. In fact, I'd be quite interested in hearing if that was the case. I'd be STUNNED if any AT&T rep suggested jailbreaking as an option, but I suppose it actually is an option to jailbreak, by MiWi (or whatever its called) and use it with the hotspot plan (which AT&T will want you on, even if you're not using Apple's built-in wifi sharing...)

That could work, but wouldn't be supported.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
    4 of 4 (8,701 Views)