iPhone 3GS Turning Off?

Master

iPhone 3GS Turning Off?

[ Edited ]
I've had my iPhone 3GS since late October 2011, and I enjoy using it very much. But yesterday and a few minutes ago I have noticed that when it approaches the low battery level (less than 10% remaining), it will randomly turn off at 7% or 8% remaining.

Yesterday it turned off at 7% and I wondered what happened. I doesn't usually do this; it usually stays on until about 2% when it dies on its own - perfectly understandable. I tried to turn it on again twice, but it refused to power on. But it did it again and now I'm wondering if it's going to be a repeating occurrence. Could my phone be registering the battery percentage remaining level inaccurately or what else might be causing this?

Thanks.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 1 of 9 (411 Views)
Expert

Re: iPhone 3GS Turning Off?

Wild Banchi wrote:
I've had my iPhone 3GS since late October, and I enjoy using it very much. But yesterday and a few minutes ago I have noticed that when it approaches the low battery level (less than 10% remaining), it will randomly turn off at 7% or 8% remaining.

Yesterday it turned off at 7% and I wondered what happened. I doesn't usually do this; it usually stays on until about 2% when it dies on its own - perfectly understandable. I tried ro turn it om again twice, but it refused to power on. But it did it again and now I'm wondering if it's going to be a repeating occurrence. Could my phone be registering the battery percentage remaining level inaccurately or what else might be causing this?

Thanks.

battery maybe nearing end of life on the phone

Message 2 of 9 (407 Views)
Master

Wow, really? This early?

Message 3 of 9 (405 Views)
Professor

Did you get your iPhone 3GS new or used in October?  If used, the battery may be close to three years old now.  Depending on how the battery is charged (whether or not it is around 10% before recharging), the useful life may have been diminished.  It is recommended to charge the battery around 50%, rather than waiting until the battery is almost dead.  Supposedly, this method will get you twice as many charges as routinely deep-cycling your battery would.

Message 4 of 9 (392 Views)

I agree with 21stNow 

Also you should think about replacing the battery yourself. Don't pay someone, you can do it. Sites like ifixit will help, give you instruction and the tools. 

Message 5 of 9 (390 Views)
Master

I purchased it used. I was always told that it's best to charge your battery when the phone is almost or completely dead. And charging the phone while it's turned on is a no-no.

I think I may just swap this with an iPhone 4 in the summer...

Message 6 of 9 (386 Views)
Professor

Hmmm, I almost always charge my phone while it's on. 

Your battery is probably close to end of life then.  If you are thinking about an iPhone 4 this summer, wait and see if they will be free (with a 2-year contract) from AT&T then.  That way, you would get a new phone and not put yourself in this same situation all over again.

This may not work for you though, because I think you use your phones off-contract with AT&T.

Message 7 of 9 (365 Views)
Scholar

Try putting it into DFU mode and restoring it
It might help ive had silly issues with my 4S and updating it has fixed it!

Its worth a try but maybe it might need a new battery
If its over a year or so old Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 9 (355 Views)
Master

21stNow wrote:

This may not work for you though, because I think you use your phones off-contract with AT&T.

Yes, that's what I've done the past 2 1/6 years and that's what I plan on continuing to do.

Message 9 of 9 (309 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.