Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 14, 2012
7:49:31 PM
View profile
iPhone 3GS Data spike

Hello. I recently upgraded my daughter and wife's iPhone 3GSs to the latest iOS. All of the sudden this billing period their data usage has gone through the roof. They are on the lowest plan---200 MB per month. And in almost two years they have never exceeded their limits.

After th 65% warning, I turned off GPS service on the phones, thinking one of the GPS apps might be causing it.

Tonight and went in settings and looked their KB sent recieved for an hour. Based on that hour of usage, they would use 180 MB per month doing nothing!

Does anybody know how to fix this? Is there an app or setting that is causing such a huge data leak?

Thanks in advance.

Hello. I recently upgraded my daughter and wife's iPhone 3GSs to the latest iOS. All of the sudden this billing period their data usage has gone through the roof. They are on the lowest plan---200 MB per month. And in almost two years they have never exceeded their limits.

After th 65% warning, I turned off GPS service on the phones, thinking one of the GPS apps might be causing it.

Tonight and went in settings and looked their KB sent recieved for an hour. Based on that hour of usage, they would use 180 MB per month doing nothing!

Does anybody know how to fix this? Is there an app or setting that is causing such a huge data leak?

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 3GS Data spike

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2012 9:13:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

bocraw wrote:

Thanks in advance.

No idea what apps they have installed. If you are using iOS5, perhaps you turned on iCloud sync? That would use a lot of data.

bocraw wrote:

Thanks in advance.

No idea what apps they have installed. If you are using iOS5, perhaps you turned on iCloud sync? That would use a lot of data.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone 3GS Data spike

2 of 7 (465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2012 3:13:31 PM
(0)
Master
icloud data sync is not too bad for me. but try this.....Settings>Location Services>System Services (Found at the very bottom) > Turn off location based iads, Setting Time Zone and Traffic.

These do not affect your ability to see traffic in google maps and other location based map applications. It may be tracking movement for crowd source data.

IADs - Don't need custom iAds that use data to enhance your ad experience.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
icloud data sync is not too bad for me. but try this.....Settings>Location Services>System Services (Found at the very bottom) > Turn off location based iads, Setting Time Zone and Traffic.

These do not affect your ability to see traffic in google maps and other location based map applications. It may be tracking movement for crowd source data.

IADs - Don't need custom iAds that use data to enhance your ad experience.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 7 (434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2012 3:35:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

Good suggestion youngjm. However, I had already turned all location based services off.

Good suggestion youngjm. However, I had already turned all location based services off.

4 of 7 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2012 5:04:03 PM
(0)
Guru

bocraw wrote:

Bad idea, it's always nice to have "Find My iPhone" turned-on, in case you lose your iPhone. I'd turn off cellular data...you can also see what applications are accessing data in settings.

bocraw wrote:

Bad idea, it's always nice to have "Find My iPhone" turned-on, in case you lose your iPhone. I'd turn off cellular data...you can also see what applications are accessing data in settings.

Experience the Underlyingsound.

5 of 7 (419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2012 6:57:25 PM
(0)
Master

Underlyingsound wrote:

bocraw wrote:

You need cellular data so that Find My iPhone can enable the GPS to report its location.  

Underlyingsound wrote:

bocraw wrote:

You need cellular data so that Find My iPhone can enable the GPS to report its location.  

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

6 of 7 (409 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2012 11:40:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've also had this problem with my 3GS. Started last month after an update, never exceeded my data before and now I'm flying through it. My Nike+GPS app uses a ton of data now, whereas it never did before and there are other spikes that I can't identify.  Also and probably related; phone won't hold a WIFI signal like it always has.

I've also had this problem with my 3GS. Started last month after an update, never exceeded my data before and now I'm flying through it. My Nike+GPS app uses a ton of data now, whereas it never did before and there are other spikes that I can't identify.  Also and probably related; phone won't hold a WIFI signal like it always has.

7 of 7 (365 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments