iPhone 3GS 3G Connectivity

Master

iPhone 3GS 3G Connectivity

I got an iPhone 3GS last Tuesday, and for some reason, the phone is not showing that I have 3G service anywhere I go. Before you think I'm missing a very simple setting, I do have 3G turned ON. I have cellular data turned OFF...not sure if that has something to do with it or not.

When I look at my Samsung Android phone, I have 3 bars of 3G at this very second. When I switch my SIM to my iPhone, the 3G indicator does not show. I thought that the 3G indicator showed up by the signal bars if I had 3G service on the 3GS, but maybe there is something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 1 of 7
Professor

Re: iPhone 3GS 3G Connectivity

What's the AT&T Carrier software version on your iPhone? (Should be seen in Settings | General | About )
Message 2 of 7
Master

For the Carrier, it says, 'AT&T 8.0'.

For the Software Version, it says, '4.1 (8B117)'.

Message 3 of 7
Professor

Have you tried turning cellular data on?

Message 4 of 7
Master

I have not tried activating cellular data, but I will check to see if that works.

Message 5 of 7
Professor

The reason you don't have a 3G indicator is because you have cellular data turned off. Since you disabled the data radio, it's not going to give you an indication, kind of like if you turn the phone off, you wont get the signal bars. It's that simple.
Message 6 of 7
Master

Alright. I'll turn it on, then, and see if that helps. If it does not work, I will have to change the APN settings to allow 3G to work, as this is a prepaid iPhone.

And yes. Prepaid iPhones do work very well.

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support