Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 2, 2011
4:03:59 PM
View profile
iPhone 3GS 3G Connectivity
I got an iPhone 3GS last Tuesday, and for some reason, the phone is not showing that I have 3G service anywhere I go. Before you think I'm missing a very simple setting, I do have 3G turned ON. I have cellular data turned OFF...not sure if that has something to do with it or not.

When I look at my Samsung Android phone, I have 3 bars of 3G at this very second. When I switch my SIM to my iPhone, the 3G indicator does not show. I thought that the 3G indicator showed up by the signal bars if I had 3G service on the 3GS, but maybe there is something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I got an iPhone 3GS last Tuesday, and for some reason, the phone is not showing that I have 3G service anywhere I go. Before you think I'm missing a very simple setting, I do have 3G turned ON. I have cellular data turned OFF...not sure if that has something to do with it or not.

When I look at my Samsung Android phone, I have 3 bars of 3G at this very second. When I switch my SIM to my iPhone, the 3G indicator does not show. I thought that the 3G indicator showed up by the signal bars if I had 3G service on the 3GS, but maybe there is something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

iPhone 3GS 3G Connectivity

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 4:16:42 PM
(0)
Professor
What's the AT&T Carrier software version on your iPhone? (Should be seen in Settings | General | About )
What's the AT&T Carrier software version on your iPhone? (Should be seen in Settings | General | About )
Posted from my iPhone 4. Look at me I'm hot and nerdy.

Re: iPhone 3GS 3G Connectivity

2 of 7 (251 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 5:33:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Nov 2, 2011 at 5:35:48 PM
For the Carrier, it says, 'AT&T 8.0'.

For the Software Version, it says, '4.1 (8B117)'.

For the Carrier, it says, 'AT&T 8.0'.

For the Software Version, it says, '4.1 (8B117)'.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 7 (244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 7:57:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Have you tried turning cellular data on?

Have you tried turning cellular data on?

4 of 7 (231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 3:07:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
I have not tried activating cellular data, but I will check to see if that works.

I have not tried activating cellular data, but I will check to see if that works.

5 of 7 (215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 4:28:21 AM
(0)
Professor
The reason you don't have a 3G indicator is because you have cellular data turned off. Since you disabled the data radio, it's not going to give you an indication, kind of like if you turn the phone off, you wont get the signal bars. It's that simple.
The reason you don't have a 3G indicator is because you have cellular data turned off. Since you disabled the data radio, it's not going to give you an indication, kind of like if you turn the phone off, you wont get the signal bars. It's that simple.

6 of 7 (212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 2:41:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Alright. I'll turn it on, then, and see if that helps. If it does not work, I will have to change the APN settings to allow 3G to work, as this is a prepaid iPhone.

And yes. Prepaid iPhones do work very well.

Alright. I'll turn it on, then, and see if that helps. If it does not work, I will have to change the APN settings to allow 3G to work, as this is a prepaid iPhone.

And yes. Prepaid iPhones do work very well.

7 of 7 (194 Views)