Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 15, 2009
3:01:22 AM
View profile
iPhone/3G outages in Austin
Anyone else having No Service problems in Austin or surrounding areas?  Over the past week or two we've been having severe cell outages all over Austin on AT&T's network; no service in areas that have historically had very strong coverage.  Hard and soft resets, network resets, turning off 3G, and screaming and cursing don't work either.  I wound up calling AT&T Business Services a couple days ago and was told there are at least 2 or 3 towers down and in the process of being repaired in our area that are causing the no service messages.  ETA for repair?  Next week some time...maybe the 16th.  No offers for credits...we're just expected to grin and bear it or drive to the other side of town to make a call.
Anyone else having No Service problems in Austin or surrounding areas?  Over the past week or two we've been having severe cell outages all over Austin on AT&T's network; no service in areas that have historically had very strong coverage.  Hard and soft resets, network resets, turning off 3G, and screaming and cursing don't work either.  I wound up calling AT&T Business Services a couple days ago and was told there are at least 2 or 3 towers down and in the process of being repaired in our area that are causing the no service messages.  ETA for repair?  Next week some time...maybe the 16th.  No offers for credits...we're just expected to grin and bear it or drive to the other side of town to make a call.

iPhone/3G outages in Austin

37 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(37)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2010 5:54:33 PM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T will not help me with my signal problems.  My phone will not hold 3G where 3 weeks earlier it worked perfectly.  Something has changed, but AT&T only looks at the ground floor outside of the building.  No wonder cities with tall buildings must have bad coverage. 

AT&T's only solution is to let me out of my contracts ETF free.  This does not really make me whole again since I've purchased 3 iPhones, tons of apps, and AppleCare warranties.  Even if I could recoup my costs, I will still be out of having an iPhone.  AT&T won't buy back my equipment.  They have given me 3 months to cancel ETF free.

To me, this 100-day "upgrade" has been a colossal failure.  I see now why people have dumped their iPhones for Android on other carriers.  I always wondered why people thought the service was so poor; now I know why.

AT&T will not help me with my signal problems.  My phone will not hold 3G where 3 weeks earlier it worked perfectly.  Something has changed, but AT&T only looks at the ground floor outside of the building.  No wonder cities with tall buildings must have bad coverage. 

AT&T's only solution is to let me out of my contracts ETF free.  This does not really make me whole again since I've purchased 3 iPhones, tons of apps, and AppleCare warranties.  Even if I could recoup my costs, I will still be out of having an iPhone.  AT&T won't buy back my equipment.  They have given me 3 months to cancel ETF free.

To me, this 100-day "upgrade" has been a colossal failure.  I see now why people have dumped their iPhones for Android on other carriers.  I always wondered why people thought the service was so poor; now I know why.

Re: iPhone/3G outages in Austin

31 of 38 (1,853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2010 6:33:57 PM
(0)
Professor

AmazinglySmooth wrote:

No carrier guarantees coverage inside of buildings.  It is simply not possible... there are too many factors in the buildings construction that could interfere with the wireless signal, number 1 factor being the walls.

I can certainly understand your frustration since, as you stated, it works fine 3 weeks ago.

Are others in your building having similar issues with their AT&T phones?

Another option you could consider it purchasing one of the new MicroCell's that AT&T is offering.  It's basically a small cell tower that you connect to your Internet connection and when in range your device connects to it instead of the regular Cell network.

AmazinglySmooth wrote:

No carrier guarantees coverage inside of buildings.  It is simply not possible... there are too many factors in the buildings construction that could interfere with the wireless signal, number 1 factor being the walls.

I can certainly understand your frustration since, as you stated, it works fine 3 weeks ago.

Another option you could consider it purchasing one of the new MicroCell's that AT&T is offering.  It's basically a small cell tower that you connect to your Internet connection and when in range your device connects to it instead of the regular Cell network.

32 of 38 (1,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2010 6:42:21 PM
(0)
Scholar

satchev wrote:

AmazinglySmooth wrote:

I agree, but it did work very well for 1.25 years.  And I can still get 3G speeds if I simply cycle through airplane mode.  No one at AT&T can explain why that helps.

satchev wrote:

AmazinglySmooth wrote:

I agree, but it did work very well for 1.25 years.  And I can still get 3G speeds if I simply cycle through airplane mode.  No one at AT&T can explain why that helps.

33 of 38 (1,844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 7:31:16 AM
(0)
Scholar

I am seeing more and more dropping to Edge problems in Austin.  I have noticed it where 3G was the only service.  Has AT&T added Edge coverage to Austin to improve voice calls?

I have seen Edge in the following public areas: while driving on Barton Creek Road under Mopac and in Macy's at Barton Creek Mall. 

Where have you seen it drop to Edge instead of holding the 3G signal?

I am seeing more and more dropping to Edge problems in Austin.  I have noticed it where 3G was the only service.  Has AT&T added Edge coverage to Austin to improve voice calls?

I have seen Edge in the following public areas: while driving on Barton Creek Road under Mopac and in Macy's at Barton Creek Mall. 

Where have you seen it drop to Edge instead of holding the 3G signal?

34 of 38 (1,751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 7:39:08 AM
(0)
Professor

Maybe you would be better off posting in the Network coverage forum.  From what I have seen in this thread, it has nothing to do with  your iPhone, at least that is the way you are spinning it.

You also might get more feedback from those in the Austin area and get more relevant information.

Maybe you would be better off posting in the Network coverage forum.  From what I have seen in this thread, it has nothing to do with  your iPhone, at least that is the way you are spinning it.

You also might get more feedback from those in the Austin area and get more relevant information.

35 of 38 (1,747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2010 8:09:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just received notice today that AT&T has experienced problems with five cell towers in the Austin area.  A technician was supposedly dispatched at 5am Tuesday to investigate and resolve the problem. 

Word is it appears to be an issue with the land-lines connecting the towers back to AT&T’s network. Until the problem is resolved, AT&T customers can expect to receive degraded 3G and mobile-to-mobile service.

Just received notice today that AT&T has experienced problems with five cell towers in the Austin area.  A technician was supposedly dispatched at 5am Tuesday to investigate and resolve the problem. 

Word is it appears to be an issue with the land-lines connecting the towers back to AT&T’s network. Until the problem is resolved, AT&T customers can expect to receive degraded 3G and mobile-to-mobile service.

36 of 38 (1,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2010 12:03:26 PM
(0)
Scholar

jachambers wrote:

That would explain alot.  I been having spotty coverage with 3g for a couple of days. 

jachambers wrote:

That would explain alot.  I been having spotty coverage with 3g for a couple of days. 

37 of 38 (1,646 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2010 6:58:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

Where are you guys having spotty coverage? 

Does anyone know if the 3G modulation is done at the tower or back at the central office?

Where are you guys having spotty coverage? 

Does anyone know if the 3G modulation is done at the tower or back at the central office?

38 of 38 (1,620 Views)