iPhone/3G outages in Austin

Contributor

iPhone/3G outages in Austin

Anyone else having No Service problems in Austin or surrounding areas?  Over the past week or two we've been having severe cell outages all over Austin on AT&T's network; no service in areas that have historically had very strong coverage.  Hard and soft resets, network resets, turning off 3G, and screaming and cursing don't work either.  I wound up calling AT&T Business Services a couple days ago and was told there are at least 2 or 3 towers down and in the process of being repaired in our area that are causing the no service messages.  ETA for repair?  Next week some time...maybe the 16th.  No offers for credits...we're just expected to grin and bear it or drive to the other side of town to make a call.
Message 1 of 38
Expert

Re: iPhone/3G outages in Austin

texyak wrote:
      Anyone else having No Service problems in Austin or surrounding areas?  Over the past week or two we've been having severe cell outages all over Austin on AT&T's network; no service in areas that have historically had very strong coverage.  Hard and soft resets, network resets, turning off 3G, and screaming and cursing don't work either.  I wound up calling AT&T Business Services a couple days ago and was told there are at least 2 or 3 towers down and in the process of being repaired in our area that are causing the no service messages.  ETA for repair?  Next week some time...maybe the 16th.  No offers for credits...we're just expected to grin and bear it or drive to the other side of town to make a call.

So you have been able to confirm that people without the iPhone also do not have service as well.

Message 2 of 38
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

The "outages" may be related to 3G network overload due to the large influx of AT&T subscribers to the SXSW conference.

http://www.businessinsider.com/att-fails-the-sxsw-iphone-test-2009-3

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 38
Contributor

Four days later and service is still flaky at best.  When I can't listen to voice mail or send a text message, much less make an actual call or pull up a web page, it's an outage.  Whether the system is overloaded or not, if I can't use my phone, it's an outage.

AT&T has blatantly failed to plan a head for a huge annual festival. And Austin has several similar events every year.  They said four days ago they were working hard to increase capacity, but so far they are failing that two.  I hope they get it fixed soon!

Message 4 of 38
Expert

cptnyawp wrote:

Four days later and service is still flaky at best.  When I can't listen to voice mail or send a text message, much less make an actual call or pull up a web page, it's an outage.  Whether the system is overloaded or not, if I can't use my phone, it's an outage.

AT&T has blatantly failed to plan a head for a huge annual festival. And Austin has several similar events every year.  They said four days ago they were working hard to increase capacity, but so far they are failing that two.  I hope they get it fixed soon!

Try your simcard in another phone and see if the issue is duplicated, also did you confirm with other iPhone users they are having the same issue as well.

Message 5 of 38
Contributor

I did not go to the trouble of charging one of my old phones to find out if it as related to the iPhone, and quite frankly, I shouldn't have to.  I did, however call AT&T (which I had to do over Skype) and they admitted to having issues in my area.  And the article in the post I was responding to showed that they were out of capacity.  This was further shown to me by the fact that every couple of hours, a slew of messages, including voice mail will suddenly pop up on the phone, as an apparent gap in the overloaded system finds it's way to my phone.  Of course, by the time I pick up the phone and try to reply to any text messages or listen to the voice mail, it's next to impossible. 

The real problem is the SXSW Festival.  Last week was the interactive conference, with tens of thousands of tech types in the area, and yes, a huge influx of AT&T customers, many many many iPhones.

It was wishful thinking to think that the end of the interactive portion of the conference would help clear things up, as the music conference that goes through this weekend brings hundreds of thousands.

Message 6 of 38
Master

cptnyawp wrote:

I did not go to the trouble of charging one of my old phones to find out if it as related to the iPhone, and quite frankly, I shouldn't have to.  I did, however call AT&T (which I had to do over Skype) and they admitted to having issues in my area.  And the article in the post I was responding to showed that they were out of capacity.  This was further shown to me by the fact that every couple of hours, a slew of messages, including voice mail will suddenly pop up on the phone, as an apparent gap in the overloaded system finds it's way to my phone.  Of course, by the time I pick up the phone and try to reply to any text messages or listen to the voice mail, it's next to impossible. 

The real problem is the SXSW Festival.  Last week was the interactive conference, with tens of thousands of tech types in the area, and yes, a huge influx of AT&T customers, many many many iPhones.

It was wishful thinking to think that the end of the interactive portion of the conference would help clear things up, as the music conference that goes through this weekend brings hundreds of thousands.

Come late Sunday, things should clear up.  While it would be nice if ATTM added some temporary capcity, the organizers may not have communicted wtih the carrier to provide enough notice that this event was coming.  while you would think that ATT would know about it, there is so much going on in their service areas they cannot respond to everything.

One last after thought:  There were reports of service outages in Texas in the weeks leading up to the event.  I am wondering if ATTM did not try to build up capacity but still underestimated the load?   I know I saw lots of tweets from folks their using iPhones.

Message Edited by youngjm on 03-20-2009 09:52:23 AM

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 7 of 38
Expert

cptnyawp wrote:

Well then, lets hope it is the network and the service returns when the event is doen with and it not be the phone itself.

Message 8 of 38
Contributor

3/30/2010: still having issues in the South Austin area 78744 Called customer care and they stated that the issue has been repaired. It hasn't still states NO SERVICE for 3G...

Had to manually switch to EDGE to avoid missing calls.

Message 9 of 38

I'm having 3G trouble as well in 78701 right along Lady Bird Lake with my iPhone 3GS.  My office looks over the lake where I get 3G coverage.  If I walk 10 yards away from my office, I drop to Edge.  Previously I had 3G in the entire office.  This started after SXSW for me.  I have a trouble ticket in with AT&T.  Supposedly they performed some "upgrades" around Austin.

I've reset my phone settings and network settings.  I got a new SIM card.  I updated to 3.1.3.  And, of course, I've cycled power dozens of times.  I even took my new SIM and placed in my old iPhone 3G.  It also dropped to Edge in the same places.  FAIL.

If this is the new upgrade, then they have failed.  My battery life has dropped dramatically.  I hope it gets better; it seems to be slightly different every day--today being worse than yesterday.

Message 10 of 38

There were stories in the paper before SxSW that AT&T was putting specific upgrades in for the festival.  

That said... my wife has an iPhone in South Austin (Circle C) and has not reported any outages to me, at least.  And I'm the first one she'd complain to.  Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 38
Mentor

I am up North - in the 620/Parmer area and my service has actually improved in the last two weeks.  It was flaky there for a while and then right before SXSW it seemed to settle down and got stronger.  Data is not as strong as I would like, but I have not had any problems with calls - which was a problem in late February/early March.

Message 12 of 38

They must have done something with the towers near my office.  I get 3G everywhere except where I work. 

Message 13 of 38

AT&T's reduced 3G "upgrade" may save me tons of money. I have preordered an iPad 3G to use in my office where I used to receive constant 3G service. If AT&T can't or won't fix the latest tower reshuffling, then I can save money by skipping the 3G service for my iPad. I will save $130 up front on the cost of the unit and will save $30/mo. Thanks, AT&T, for sparing me from spending all that money. Phew.
Message 14 of 38

AT&T called to inform me that my "ticket" was resolved as "no problem found". She went on to describe many signal strength related tests that they had performed. Ugh. I don't have a signal strength problem. I have an 3G to EDGE problem. In both cases, I get 3 to 4 bars. In fact, when on EDGE, cycling airplane mode allows me to jump back on to 3G with 3 bars. Why am I getting EDGE at all? I asked her to send it back with the new comments.
Message 15 of 38
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support