Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 15, 2009
3:01:22 AM
View profile
iPhone/3G outages in Austin
Anyone else having No Service problems in Austin or surrounding areas?  Over the past week or two we've been having severe cell outages all over Austin on AT&T's network; no service in areas that have historically had very strong coverage.  Hard and soft resets, network resets, turning off 3G, and screaming and cursing don't work either.  I wound up calling AT&T Business Services a couple days ago and was told there are at least 2 or 3 towers down and in the process of being repaired in our area that are causing the no service messages.  ETA for repair?  Next week some time...maybe the 16th.  No offers for credits...we're just expected to grin and bear it or drive to the other side of town to make a call.
Anyone else having No Service problems in Austin or surrounding areas?  Over the past week or two we've been having severe cell outages all over Austin on AT&T's network; no service in areas that have historically had very strong coverage.  Hard and soft resets, network resets, turning off 3G, and screaming and cursing don't work either.  I wound up calling AT&T Business Services a couple days ago and was told there are at least 2 or 3 towers down and in the process of being repaired in our area that are causing the no service messages.  ETA for repair?  Next week some time...maybe the 16th.  No offers for credits...we're just expected to grin and bear it or drive to the other side of town to make a call.

iPhone/3G outages in Austin

37 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(37)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2009 3:57:32 AM
(0)
Expert

texyak wrote:

So you have been able to confirm that people without the iPhone also do not have service as well.

texyak wrote:

So you have been able to confirm that people without the iPhone also do not have service as well.

Re: iPhone/3G outages in Austin

2 of 38 (5,431 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2009 1:17:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The "outages" may be related to 3G network overload due to the large influx of AT&T subscribers to the SXSW conference.

http://www.businessinsider.com/att-fails-the-sxsw-iphone-test-2009-3

The "outages" may be related to 3G network overload due to the large influx of AT&T subscribers to the SXSW conference.

http://www.businessinsider.com/att-fails-the-sxsw-iphone-test-2009-3

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 38 (5,406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2009 4:49:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

Four days later and service is still flaky at best.  When I can't listen to voice mail or send a text message, much less make an actual call or pull up a web page, it's an outage.  Whether the system is overloaded or not, if I can't use my phone, it's an outage.

AT&T has blatantly failed to plan a head for a huge annual festival. And Austin has several similar events every year.  They said four days ago they were working hard to increase capacity, but so far they are failing that two.  I hope they get it fixed soon!

Four days later and service is still flaky at best.  When I can't listen to voice mail or send a text message, much less make an actual call or pull up a web page, it's an outage.  Whether the system is overloaded or not, if I can't use my phone, it's an outage.

AT&T has blatantly failed to plan a head for a huge annual festival. And Austin has several similar events every year.  They said four days ago they were working hard to increase capacity, but so far they are failing that two.  I hope they get it fixed soon!

4 of 38 (5,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2009 5:56:37 AM
(0)
Expert

cptnyawp wrote:

Try your simcard in another phone and see if the issue is duplicated, also did you confirm with other iPhone users they are having the same issue as well.

cptnyawp wrote:

Try your simcard in another phone and see if the issue is duplicated, also did you confirm with other iPhone users they are having the same issue as well.

5 of 38 (5,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2009 6:44:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

I did not go to the trouble of charging one of my old phones to find out if it as related to the iPhone, and quite frankly, I shouldn't have to.  I did, however call AT&T (which I had to do over Skype) and they admitted to having issues in my area.  And the article in the post I was responding to showed that they were out of capacity.  This was further shown to me by the fact that every couple of hours, a slew of messages, including voice mail will suddenly pop up on the phone, as an apparent gap in the overloaded system finds it's way to my phone.  Of course, by the time I pick up the phone and try to reply to any text messages or listen to the voice mail, it's next to impossible. 

The real problem is the SXSW Festival.  Last week was the interactive conference, with tens of thousands of tech types in the area, and yes, a huge influx of AT&T customers, many many many iPhones.

It was wishful thinking to think that the end of the interactive portion of the conference would help clear things up, as the music conference that goes through this weekend brings hundreds of thousands.

I did not go to the trouble of charging one of my old phones to find out if it as related to the iPhone, and quite frankly, I shouldn't have to.  I did, however call AT&T (which I had to do over Skype) and they admitted to having issues in my area.  And the article in the post I was responding to showed that they were out of capacity.  This was further shown to me by the fact that every couple of hours, a slew of messages, including voice mail will suddenly pop up on the phone, as an apparent gap in the overloaded system finds it's way to my phone.  Of course, by the time I pick up the phone and try to reply to any text messages or listen to the voice mail, it's next to impossible. 

The real problem is the SXSW Festival.  Last week was the interactive conference, with tens of thousands of tech types in the area, and yes, a huge influx of AT&T customers, many many many iPhones.

It was wishful thinking to think that the end of the interactive portion of the conference would help clear things up, as the music conference that goes through this weekend brings hundreds of thousands.

6 of 38 (5,274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2009 6:50:25 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by youngjm on Mar 20, 2009 at 6:52:23 AM

cptnyawp wrote:

Come late Sunday, things should clear up.  While it would be nice if ATTM added some temporary capcity, the organizers may not have communicted wtih the carrier to provide enough notice that this event was coming.  while you would think that ATT would know about it, there is so much going on in their service areas they cannot respond to everything.

One last after thought:  There were reports of service outages in Texas in the weeks leading up to the event.  I am wondering if ATTM did not try to build up capacity but still underestimated the load?   I know I saw lots of tweets from folks their using iPhones.

Message Edited by youngjm on 03-20-2009 09:52:23 AM

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

cptnyawp wrote:

Come late Sunday, things should clear up.  While it would be nice if ATTM added some temporary capcity, the organizers may not have communicted wtih the carrier to provide enough notice that this event was coming.  while you would think that ATT would know about it, there is so much going on in their service areas they cannot respond to everything.

One last after thought:  There were reports of service outages in Texas in the weeks leading up to the event.  I am wondering if ATTM did not try to build up capacity but still underestimated the load?   I know I saw lots of tweets from folks their using iPhones.

Message Edited by youngjm on 03-20-2009 09:52:23 AM

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

[ Edited ]
7 of 38 (5,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2009 7:31:09 AM
(0)
Expert

cptnyawp wrote:

Well then, lets hope it is the network and the service returns when the event is doen with and it not be the phone itself.

cptnyawp wrote:

Well then, lets hope it is the network and the service returns when the event is doen with and it not be the phone itself.

8 of 38 (5,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2010 4:26:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

3/30/2010: still having issues in the South Austin area 78744 Called customer care and they stated that the issue has been repaired. It hasn't still states NO SERVICE for 3G...

Had to manually switch to EDGE to avoid missing calls.

3/30/2010: still having issues in the South Austin area 78744 Called customer care and they stated that the issue has been repaired. It hasn't still states NO SERVICE for 3G...

Had to manually switch to EDGE to avoid missing calls.

9 of 38 (3,447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2010 2:36:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm having 3G trouble as well in 78701 right along Lady Bird Lake with my iPhone 3GS.  My office looks over the lake where I get 3G coverage.  If I walk 10 yards away from my office, I drop to Edge.  Previously I had 3G in the entire office.  This started after SXSW for me.  I have a trouble ticket in with AT&T.  Supposedly they performed some "upgrades" around Austin.

I've reset my phone settings and network settings.  I got a new SIM card.  I updated to 3.1.3.  And, of course, I've cycled power dozens of times.  I even took my new SIM and placed in my old iPhone 3G.  It also dropped to Edge in the same places.  FAIL.

If this is the new upgrade, then they have failed.  My battery life has dropped dramatically.  I hope it gets better; it seems to be slightly different every day--today being worse than yesterday.

I'm having 3G trouble as well in 78701 right along Lady Bird Lake with my iPhone 3GS.  My office looks over the lake where I get 3G coverage.  If I walk 10 yards away from my office, I drop to Edge.  Previously I had 3G in the entire office.  This started after SXSW for me.  I have a trouble ticket in with AT&T.  Supposedly they performed some "upgrades" around Austin.

I've reset my phone settings and network settings.  I got a new SIM card.  I updated to 3.1.3.  And, of course, I've cycled power dozens of times.  I even took my new SIM and placed in my old iPhone 3G.  It also dropped to Edge in the same places.  FAIL.

If this is the new upgrade, then they have failed.  My battery life has dropped dramatically.  I hope it gets better; it seems to be slightly different every day--today being worse than yesterday.

10 of 38 (3,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2010 3:26:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

There were stories in the paper before SxSW that AT&T was putting specific upgrades in for the festival.  

That said... my wife has an iPhone in South Austin (Circle C) and has not reported any outages to me, at least.  And I'm the first one she'd complain to.  Smiley Happy

There were stories in the paper before SxSW that AT&T was putting specific upgrades in for the festival.  

That said... my wife has an iPhone in South Austin (Circle C) and has not reported any outages to me, at least.  And I'm the first one she'd complain to.  Smiley Happy

11 of 38 (2,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2010 6:56:13 PM
(0)
Mentor

I am up North - in the 620/Parmer area and my service has actually improved in the last two weeks.  It was flaky there for a while and then right before SXSW it seemed to settle down and got stronger.  Data is not as strong as I would like, but I have not had any problems with calls - which was a problem in late February/early March.

I am up North - in the 620/Parmer area and my service has actually improved in the last two weeks.  It was flaky there for a while and then right before SXSW it seemed to settle down and got stronger.  Data is not as strong as I would like, but I have not had any problems with calls - which was a problem in late February/early March.

12 of 38 (2,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2010 8:37:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

They must have done something with the towers near my office.  I get 3G everywhere except where I work. 

They must have done something with the towers near my office.  I get 3G everywhere except where I work. 

13 of 38 (2,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2010 8:08:25 AM
(0)
Scholar
AT&T's reduced 3G "upgrade" may save me tons of money. I have preordered an iPad 3G to use in my office where I used to receive constant 3G service. If AT&T can't or won't fix the latest tower reshuffling, then I can save money by skipping the 3G service for my iPad. I will save $130 up front on the cost of the unit and will save $30/mo. Thanks, AT&T, for sparing me from spending all that money. Phew.
AT&T's reduced 3G "upgrade" may save me tons of money. I have preordered an iPad 3G to use in my office where I used to receive constant 3G service. If AT&T can't or won't fix the latest tower reshuffling, then I can save money by skipping the 3G service for my iPad. I will save $130 up front on the cost of the unit and will save $30/mo. Thanks, AT&T, for sparing me from spending all that money. Phew.

14 of 38 (2,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2010 1:07:57 PM
(0)
Scholar
AT&T called to inform me that my "ticket" was resolved as "no problem found". She went on to describe many signal strength related tests that they had performed. Ugh. I don't have a signal strength problem. I have an 3G to EDGE problem. In both cases, I get 3 to 4 bars. In fact, when on EDGE, cycling airplane mode allows me to jump back on to 3G with 3 bars. Why am I getting EDGE at all? I asked her to send it back with the new comments.
AT&T called to inform me that my "ticket" was resolved as "no problem found". She went on to describe many signal strength related tests that they had performed. Ugh. I don't have a signal strength problem. I have an 3G to EDGE problem. In both cases, I get 3 to 4 bars. In fact, when on EDGE, cycling airplane mode allows me to jump back on to 3G with 3 bars. Why am I getting EDGE at all? I asked her to send it back with the new comments.

15 of 38 (2,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2010 1:17:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

My 3G is non-existant (just says "Searching..."). Turn it off and Edge comes up immediately.

My 3G is non-existant (just says "Searching..."). Turn it off and Edge comes up immediately.

16 of 38 (2,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2010 6:14:28 PM
(0)
Guru

I have the iphone 3gs and have not had any issues in austin i think folks are trolling due to all of the hype that they were upping everything to prevent this from happening in austin i new it wouldn't be long before folks start the no service in austin stuff mine is fine and my wife has the motobackflip and it has all its bars working just fine. well back to the bars.

I have the iphone 3gs and have not had any issues in austin i think folks are trolling due to all of the hype that they were upping everything to prevent this from happening in austin i new it wouldn't be long before folks start the no service in austin stuff mine is fine and my wife has the motobackflip and it has all its bars working just fine. well back to the bars.

17 of 38 (2,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2010 6:19:33 PM
(0)
Scholar
Trolling? What? Mine works fine everywhere but in my office. Two weeks ago it worked fine in my office and now it doesn't.
Trolling? What? Mine works fine everywhere but in my office. Two weeks ago it worked fine in my office and now it doesn't.

18 of 38 (2,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2010 8:31:25 PM
(0)
Scholar
I swear that AT&T is trying to wear me down. I got another call today that they came out to my home and found no problem with the signal. The problem isn't at my home!!! I specifically gave them my office address several times. I don't understand how I could have been clearer. If this ever gets resolved, it will be a miracle. Glad it is the Holy Week.
I swear that AT&T is trying to wear me down. I got another call today that they came out to my home and found no problem with the signal. The problem isn't at my home!!! I specifically gave them my office address several times. I don't understand how I could have been clearer. If this ever gets resolved, it will be a miracle. Glad it is the Holy Week.

19 of 38 (2,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2010 6:52:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

Ok.  AT&T used the wrong name to describe where they check things out.  My "home" was really my office.  So, not as bad as I previously thought.

AT&T thinks it is a bad phone, but I think the SIM card is bad again.  With a new SIM in both phones (3G and 3GS), I was getting the same stuck in Edge behavior.  I swapped in a new SIM again this morning, and so far things are better.

How often do SIM cards fail?  In the year I have been with AT&T, I've swapped SIM cards 3 times.  What's up with that?

Ok.  AT&T used the wrong name to describe where they check things out.  My "home" was really my office.  So, not as bad as I previously thought.

AT&T thinks it is a bad phone, but I think the SIM card is bad again.  With a new SIM in both phones (3G and 3GS), I was getting the same stuck in Edge behavior.  I swapped in a new SIM again this morning, and so far things are better.

How often do SIM cards fail?  In the year I have been with AT&T, I've swapped SIM cards 3 times.  What's up with that?

20 of 38 (2,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2010 8:44:10 AM
(0)
Scholar

False hope.  New SIM didn't help.  I tried it in both my 3GS and 3G iPhones and both exhibit the same shift to Edge.  To get them back to 3G from Edge, I need to get into an area with 1 bar more strength in 3G or cycle airplane mode.

False hope.  New SIM didn't help.  I tried it in both my 3GS and 3G iPhones and both exhibit the same shift to Edge.  To get them back to 3G from Edge, I need to get into an area with 1 bar more strength in 3G or cycle airplane mode.

21 of 38 (2,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2010 12:54:05 PM
(0)
Scholar

I've swapped my phone after having to push Apple hard.  Apple was sure that the phone was fine, but offered to swap it after I said that AT&T insisted on a swap to further debug the issue.

I'm restoring it now (>1.5 hours so far).

The Apple genius said, "that's just how 3G works here in Austin..."  Sad commentary.

I've swapped my phone after having to push Apple hard.  Apple was sure that the phone was fine, but offered to swap it after I said that AT&T insisted on a swap to further debug the issue.

I'm restoring it now (>1.5 hours so far).

The Apple genius said, "that's just how 3G works here in Austin..."  Sad commentary.

22 of 38 (2,125 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2010 6:24:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

After trying to restore for 5 hours, I pulled the USB plug.  It was at like 90%, but I couldn't wait any longer.

Same dropping to Edge problem.

After trying to restore for 5 hours, I pulled the USB plug.  It was at like 90%, but I couldn't wait any longer.

Same dropping to Edge problem.

23 of 38 (2,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2010 6:49:16 AM
(0)
Scholar

So far this morning, it seems a bit better.  I still had one drop to Edge, but it didn't persist.

So far this morning, it seems a bit better.  I still had one drop to Edge, but it didn't persist.

24 of 38 (2,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2010 11:47:30 AM
(0)
Scholar

If there isn't a network proble, I wonder if something Apple has done in software has made this worse.  Has anyone tried a Nexus One vs. iPhone for 3G coverage?

If there isn't a network proble, I wonder if something Apple has done in software has made this worse.  Has anyone tried a Nexus One vs. iPhone for 3G coverage?

25 of 38 (2,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2010 6:06:49 PM
(0)
Scholar
I wish there were more tools that I could use to help AT&T debug this issue. The "mark the spot" app is ok, but it would be great if you could tell to which tower you were actually connected along with signal strength. Even WiFi has more info than the cell towers.
I wish there were more tools that I could use to help AT&T debug this issue. The "mark the spot" app is ok, but it would be great if you could tell to which tower you were actually connected along with signal strength. Even WiFi has more info than the cell towers.

26 of 38 (2,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2010 6:45:26 PM
(0)
Scholar

There is a field service menu available on the iPhone by dialing *3001#12345#*

I have no idea what anything means, does anyone know how to use the info?

There is a field service menu available on the iPhone by dialing *3001#12345#*

I have no idea what anything means, does anyone know how to use the info?

27 of 38 (1,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2010 6:59:22 PM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T does not seem willing to resolve this issue in a timely manner, so I canceled my iPad 3G pre-order.  I am very disappointed that I've already shelled out tons of money toward AT&T (service + 3 iPhones), but I just could justify the risk of having a bad iPad 3G experience.

Overall, FAIL is the best word to describe AT&T's technical support.

AT&T does not seem willing to resolve this issue in a timely manner, so I canceled my iPad 3G pre-order.  I am very disappointed that I've already shelled out tons of money toward AT&T (service + 3 iPhones), but I just could justify the risk of having a bad iPad 3G experience.

28 of 38 (1,917 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2010 4:29:12 AM
(0)
Professor

AmazinglySmooth wrote:

Maybe this was just what you needed to re-evaluate whether you actually needed an iPad, much less the 3G version.  Think of all the money you are saving buy not buying the iPad.  Smiley Happy

When you have contacted AT&T customer support, have you politely insisted that the issue be escalated to a higher level?

AmazinglySmooth wrote:

Maybe this was just what you needed to re-evaluate whether you actually needed an iPad, much less the 3G version.  Think of all the money you are saving buy not buying the iPad.  Smiley Happy

When you have contacted AT&T customer support, have you politely insisted that the issue be escalated to a higher level?

29 of 38 (1,899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2010 6:36:18 AM
(0)
Scholar

I believe my issue has been escalted because I have a trouble ticket number and have asked how much it would cost to cancel my service. 

My ETF currently stands at $275 (for two phones), which is roughly two months of service.  It really wouldn't be too expensive to leave since I can sell my iPhones, but I prefer to have the issue resolved.

I believe my issue has been escalted because I have a trouble ticket number and have asked how much it would cost to cancel my service. 

My ETF currently stands at $275 (for two phones), which is roughly two months of service.  It really wouldn't be too expensive to leave since I can sell my iPhones, but I prefer to have the issue resolved.

30 of 38 (1,890 Views)