iPhone 3G or 3GS data without seperate package?

Teacher

iPhone 3G or 3GS data without seperate package?

Hi all,

If I got an iPhone 3G or 3GS, would I be able to sign up for the $50 a month plan and have access to the unlimited data? It says that smartphones need to purchase a seperate data package IF they want to have data, but if I read around correctly it says theres a way around this?

If there is, will I run into any problems like No MMS or something?

I need all the details.

Thanks!!!

Message 1 of 11 (2,046 Views)
Master

Re: iPhone 3G or 3GS data without seperate package?

I have a prepaid iPhone 3GS that I've had for two weeks, now. I will inform you that you can use the iPhone on the $50/month Unlimited plan, but you WILL have to purchase a separate data package if you want to utilize prepaid data services. There is no way around this.

Now, to get data working in general so that you actually can effectively use prepaid data, is a whole nother process. I'm not sure about MMS...I still have to experiment with MMS on my own iPhone to see if I can receive messages with attached files.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 11 (2,029 Views)
Teacher

Thank you so much!

I'm assuming this works on the $25 plan as well?

Message 3 of 11 (2,017 Views)
Master

You're welcome. Smiley Happy

If you enable prepaid data, yes, it will work on the $25 plan. I wanted to tell you since it's relevant to your situation that I enabled 3G on my iPhone 3GS today and it kept prompting me that I could not use data because I had to subscribe to a data package because I did not have one. I just ignored it because I'm not interested. Just thought I would give you a heads-up if you ever got that message pop-up.

Message 4 of 11 (2,014 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Wild Banchi wrote:
You're welcome. Smiley Happy

If you enable prepaid data, yes, it will work on the $25 plan. I wanted to tell you since it's relevant to your situation that I enabled 3G on my iPhone 3GS today and it kept prompting me that I could not use data because I had to subscribe to a data package because I did not have one. I just ignored it because I'm not interested. Just thought I would give you a heads-up if you ever got that message pop-up.

Have you changed your APN settings? If not, I'd like to comment you also get that message even if you're subscribed to a data package on a stock iPhone locked to AT&T (tested with iPhone 4S). It definitely looks as if the iPhone uses a different set of APN settings than the generic AT&T ones. Mayhaps, that's why visual voicemail doesn't work on prepaid. Since the iPhone 4S is my brother's postpaid phone and I have no idea what the original APN settings are, I didn't bother changing the APN as I might accidentally cause him to lose his visual voicemail. Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 11 (2,011 Views)
Master

I have not changed my APN settings, no. I do not intend to either, unless it restricts me from sending or receiving MMS messages. Then I will consider it. I personally am not very interested in using a prepaid data package.

It's interesting that that specific data subscription prompt appears even on post paid iPhone 4S's, if I understood you correctly.

Message 6 of 11 (2,008 Views)
Teacher

Okay, so I can still text and call on it if I have the $25 plan right? I probably won't buy the data package until this summer when I get a job..

But when I used my old 3GS on T-Mobile I would keep all data turned off but then it restricted me from recieving and sending picture messages, so I'll probably just leave Edge on to save battery. 

What are the APN Settings for AT&T's prepaid service on the iPhone? Both MMS and Internet. 

I don't have the phone unlocked so I don't remember if you can still edit them or not, if you can't edit them, do the ones already pre-configured work with prepaid?

Message 7 of 11 (2,006 Views)
Master

You can most definitely still text and call on the iPhone with the $25 plan. That's all I use mine for is, anyway, with Wi-Fi turned on when I want to browse the web or use other data applications.

Message 8 of 11 (1,996 Views)
Scholar

Wild Banchi wrote:
It's interesting that that specific data subscription prompt appears even on post paid iPhone 4S's, if I understood you correctly.

Actually, I believe I got the same message on the 3GS, too. I sold it to pay for the 4S, though, so I can't double check. I just received the MicroSIM cutter I ordered yesterday so I decided to cut up my GoPhone SIM card and test on my brother's iPhone 4S. Calls and SMS worked right out the gate but when I tried to access the web, I got the no data subscription message. I didn't think to test it with MMS. It's a pain to remove the iPhone from its case so not really planning on testing it again any time soon.

Message 9 of 11 (1,992 Views)
Teacher

Ok thanks everyone! I'll stay tuned for more updates.
Message 10 of 11 (1,988 Views)
Master

Actually, I believe I got the same message on the 3GS, too. I sold it to pay for the 4S, though, so I can't double check. I just received the MicroSIM cutter I ordered yesterday so I decided to cut up my GoPhone SIM card and test on my brother's iPhone 4S. Calls and SMS worked right out the gate but when I tried to access the web, I got the no data subscription message. I didn't think to test it with MMS. It's a pain to remove the iPhone from its case so not really planning on testing it again any time soon.

That's interesting, too. And I know what you mean about removing iPhones from their case being a pain - I have an OtterBox defender case that I'm supposed to be using with my 3GS, but it's just so darn bulky and it's a nuisance to put on and take off every time I want to switch my SIM to it. I think I might as well just get another one.

adden96, you're welcome.

Message 11 of 11 (1,759 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.