Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Oct 21, 2011
9:04:17 AM
View profile
iPhone 3G/no wifi/seriously?

I've been a GoPhone customer for 6 years with very little issue - until I inherited an iPhone 3G from a friend.  All seemed to be working well with wifi (I never used the 3G because I didn't sign up for an optional data plan) until a couple of weeks ago when I switched plans.  The customer service rep I spoke with mentioned the new 4S, but it's not in my budget right now.  In hindsight, I should have paid a little more attention to what he was saying, in that, I wouldn't be able to use the web with my current iPhone.  I assumed that it was only pertaining to using the 3G service....but I was wrong!

A few days after the plan switch, I noticed that the wifi button on my phone was greyed out.  Initially, I thought that it was an effect of the last iOS update to 4.2.1 firmware/5.15.04 baseband.  I tried resetting, restoring, and nothing would work.  Doing a little research, I discovered that AT&T had killed all wifi capability on iPhones that use the GoPhone service, something I assume is due to IMEI tracking.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that modifying a phone's core capability is wrong?  I imagine it's AT&T's way of forcing customers into postpaid plans, but really...it seems a little extreme to take away a function on a phone that has NOTHING to do with the wireless service that I'm already paying for.

I've been a GoPhone customer for 6 years with very little issue - until I inherited an iPhone 3G from a friend.  All seemed to be working well with wifi (I never used the 3G because I didn't sign up for an optional data plan) until a couple of weeks ago when I switched plans.  The customer service rep I spoke with mentioned the new 4S, but it's not in my budget right now.  In hindsight, I should have paid a little more attention to what he was saying, in that, I wouldn't be able to use the web with my current iPhone.  I assumed that it was only pertaining to using the 3G service....but I was wrong!

A few days after the plan switch, I noticed that the wifi button on my phone was greyed out.  Initially, I thought that it was an effect of the last iOS update to 4.2.1 firmware/5.15.04 baseband.  I tried resetting, restoring, and nothing would work.  Doing a little research, I discovered that AT&T had killed all wifi capability on iPhones that use the GoPhone service, something I assume is due to IMEI tracking.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that modifying a phone's core capability is wrong?  I imagine it's AT&T's way of forcing customers into postpaid plans, but really...it seems a little extreme to take away a function on a phone that has NOTHING to do with the wireless service that I'm already paying for.

iPhone 3G/no wifi/seriously?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 9:09:12 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

All smartphones require a dataplan for use. 

I'm happy to put you in touch with someone who can review your account and discuss your options if you'd like. If so, please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

All smartphones require a dataplan for use. 

I'm happy to put you in touch with someone who can review your account and discuss your options if you'd like. If so, please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: iPhone 3G/no wifi/seriously?

2 of 7 (4,362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 11:00:33 AM
(0)
Mentor

Sorry, but AT&T does not have the ability to kill the Wi-Fi on your device.

Either the device has a corrupted install of the OS or the Wi-Fi chip has died.

Regardless, as already stated... all smartphones on AT&T require a data plan.  This has been a requirement since Sept 2009. 

If you want to use the iPhone as an iPod Touch, you certainly can... but you cannot use it on AT&T without a data plan and still be within the Terms & Conditions of service to which you must agree in order to use their service.

Sorry, but AT&T does not have the ability to kill the Wi-Fi on your device.

Either the device has a corrupted install of the OS or the Wi-Fi chip has died.

Regardless, as already stated... all smartphones on AT&T require a data plan.  This has been a requirement since Sept 2009. 

If you want to use the iPhone as an iPod Touch, you certainly can... but you cannot use it on AT&T without a data plan and still be within the Terms & Conditions of service to which you must agree in order to use their service.

3 of 7 (4,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 11:17:06 AM
(0)
Professor
What "research" did you come across that said ATT killed your WiFi? Not only does it seem very unlikely in general, but almost impossible from a technical perspective.
What "research" did you come across that said ATT killed your WiFi? Not only does it seem very unlikely in general, but almost impossible from a technical perspective.

4 of 7 (4,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 11:48:24 AM
(0)
Explorer
Are you sure the friend you "inherited" the iPhone 3G from wasn't having issues with his WIFI? Something worth checking into.
Are you sure the friend you "inherited" the iPhone 3G from wasn't having issues with his WIFI? Something worth checking into.

5 of 7 (4,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 5:07:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I'm a strong believer in prepaid GoPhone iPhones. I'm a GoPhone user myself.

Do you really think that AT&T has the ability to modify phones' capabilities? It seems somewhat unlikely to me, unless you can prove it, of course. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I'm a strong believer in prepaid GoPhone iPhones. I'm a GoPhone user myself.

Do you really think that AT&T has the ability to modify phones' capabilities? It seems somewhat unlikely to me, unless you can prove it, of course. Smiley Happy

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 7 (4,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 6:20:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

I thought the baseband is used by the service provider to send/receive data and voice service provided by the phone company and WiFi is part of the phone operating system provided by Apple and can only be turned off by an update from Apple. I could be wrong, but if your WiFi no longer works after an update, I believe you should be contacting Apple.

I thought the baseband is used by the service provider to send/receive data and voice service provided by the phone company and WiFi is part of the phone operating system provided by Apple and can only be turned off by an update from Apple. I could be wrong, but if your WiFi no longer works after an update, I believe you should be contacting Apple.

7 of 7 (4,270 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments