Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 11, 2010
7:15:12 PM
View profile
iPhone 3G - 2 Lines in Family Plan - Upgrade Question

I am just hoping I can get a clear answer on this because I am a little confused.

I was reading about an upgrade limit quantity for iPhones within a family plan. 

Last year, about 3 weeks before the release of the new 3GS we bought the 3G not aware of the new release.  ATT and Apple did not offer any exchange like they appear to be offering now.

My main question is:  I have noticed that when I dial *639# to get a status on the main line in the Family Plan, I get the notice that "as a valued customer you are eligible for an upgrade ...."

On the secondary line, I get the message that the line is available for no-contract pricing (full price) and will be eligible in 2/2011. 

WHAT???  I don't get it??  Smiley Indifferent

We started out with the iPhone 2G --> went to the Blackberry Curve --> then to the iPhone 3G a couple weeks premature of the 3GS release and now want to get into the iPhone 4 at the same time.

Does anyone understand this logic?  Is anyone in a Family Plan seeing the same messages when dialing the *639# ???

I'd really appreciate it if someone on a Family Plan could check their main line and a subsequent line to confirm.  We started a new 2-year contract May 2009.    Is it just a potential shortage thing??? 

Thanks!

I am just hoping I can get a clear answer on this because I am a little confused.

I was reading about an upgrade limit quantity for iPhones within a family plan. 

Last year, about 3 weeks before the release of the new 3GS we bought the 3G not aware of the new release.  ATT and Apple did not offer any exchange like they appear to be offering now.

My main question is:  I have noticed that when I dial *639# to get a status on the main line in the Family Plan, I get the notice that "as a valued customer you are eligible for an upgrade ...."

On the secondary line, I get the message that the line is available for no-contract pricing (full price) and will be eligible in 2/2011. 

WHAT???  I don't get it??  Smiley Indifferent

We started out with the iPhone 2G --> went to the Blackberry Curve --> then to the iPhone 3G a couple weeks premature of the 3GS release and now want to get into the iPhone 4 at the same time.

Does anyone understand this logic?  Is anyone in a Family Plan seeing the same messages when dialing the *639# ???

I'd really appreciate it if someone on a Family Plan could check their main line and a subsequent line to confirm.  We started a new 2-year contract May 2009.    Is it just a potential shortage thing??? 

Thanks!

iPhone 3G - 2 Lines in Family Plan - Upgrade Question

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2010 7:21:01 PM
(0)
Teacher

I think I just saw the answer to my question.  Something about an inbetween pricing.  I hope that is the case.  I'll need to figure this out.

I think I just saw the answer to my question.  Something about an inbetween pricing.  I hope that is the case.  I'll need to figure this out.

Re: iPhone 3G - 2 Lines in Family Plan - Upgrade Question

2 of 6 (1,876 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2010 10:03:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah, ATT finds ways to burn their customers. I've been a loyal iPhone customer. I bought the 3G on the day of its release. I then upgraded to the 3Gs on the day of its release. However, because my phone is the "second line" in my family plan, my line gets billed less than my wife's iPhone line. ATT's early upgrade eligibility requirement is that the line be paying $100/month. Since my line is an "additional line" in our family plan, it is billed a smaller fraction than my wife's iPhone in the same family plan. As a result, my wife's iPhone is eligible and mine is not. ATT is offering a +$200 option for early upgraders in our position... or what they refer to as a $200 discount off the full price.  It's fairly asinine, but such is ATT.

Yeah, ATT finds ways to burn their customers. I've been a loyal iPhone customer. I bought the 3G on the day of its release. I then upgraded to the 3Gs on the day of its release. However, because my phone is the "second line" in my family plan, my line gets billed less than my wife's iPhone line. ATT's early upgrade eligibility requirement is that the line be paying $100/month. Since my line is an "additional line" in our family plan, it is billed a smaller fraction than my wife's iPhone in the same family plan. As a result, my wife's iPhone is eligible and mine is not. ATT is offering a +$200 option for early upgraders in our position... or what they refer to as a $200 discount off the full price.  It's fairly asinine, but such is ATT.

3 of 6 (1,731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2010 11:57:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm in the same boat. My husband and I got iPhone 3G at launch when we signed a new contract. Last year we both got iPhone 3GS at launch and now my husband is eligible for an upgrade whereas I'm not even eligible for the +200 option. My message says that I have to pay the full no commitment price. Shouldnt I be eligible for the early upgrade price???

I'm in the same boat. My husband and I got iPhone 3G at launch when we signed a new contract. Last year we both got iPhone 3GS at launch and now my husband is eligible for an upgrade whereas I'm not even eligible for the +200 option. My message says that I have to pay the full no commitment price. Shouldnt I be eligible for the early upgrade price???

4 of 6 (1,707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 6:31:20 AM
(0)
Teacher

zergworld wrote:

Do you see that +200 option when you dial the *639# ??  All I see for the second line is that it is eligible at the "no committment pricing" ... is that just a standard text not differentiating from iPhone?    Did you see a different return text when you did that dial (what's the message??)

It's so love-hate.  Owning Apple technology is like a drug Smiley Very Happy once they lure you and give you a first taste, it's easy to get hooked.

zergworld wrote:

Do you see that +200 option when you dial the *639# ??  All I see for the second line is that it is eligible at the "no committment pricing" ... is that just a standard text not differentiating from iPhone?    Did you see a different return text when you did that dial (what's the message??)

It's so love-hate.  Owning Apple technology is like a drug Smiley Very Happy once they lure you and give you a first taste, it's easy to get hooked.

5 of 6 (1,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 6:32:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

Imaan wrote:

Ok, yes --- that is the same message I am seeing on the second line (I should have read your post).  Is this just something to ask ATT about specifically???

Imaan wrote:

Ok, yes --- that is the same message I am seeing on the second line (I should have read your post).  Is this just something to ask ATT about specifically???

6 of 6 (1,664 Views)