iPhone 3, Unsupported, unsecure and still be on a contract?

Contributor

iPhone 3, Unsupported, unsecure and still be on a contract?

So I love how I'm tied up on 2 year contract with this phone that isn't supported by Apple anymore.  Zero updates after iOS 4.1.2 and now has a documented security vurnability that allows anyone (including your mother) to intercept and read secure SSL traffic if I hit say my bank, paypal, email, etc.   

You want to explain to me how you can hold me to a contract with an insecure phone and zero support from AT&T and Apple?

Sniffer hijacks secure traffic from unpatched iPhones

Message 1 of 4 (1,381 Views)
Professor

Re: iPhone 3, Unsupported, unsecure and still be on a contract?

Apple still supports the iPhone 3, they simply do not provide OS updates for it.  There is a difference.

But if you're so upset about it... find another device.  There are many other devices out there.... but frankly Apple provide more updates than any other manufacturer.  With most devices, the end user is "stuck" with whatever version of the OS that it shipped with. 

Nothing about your voice contract with AT&T requires you to keep the iPhone, only the service.

AT&T has nothing to do with iOS or the iPhone, they are simply the provider of service.

If you do not like the device, buy something different.  I seriously doubt that you will get any sympathy from any other users here.

Message 2 of 4 (1,371 Views)
Former Employee

"You want to explain to me how you can hold me to a contract with an insecure phone and zero support from AT&T and Apple?"

Why don't you find and read it, everything is in there. Simply put, AT&T covered $400 of the price for the iPhone when you bought it, in return you have agreed to 2 years of service or an early termination fee. Now, the phone's manufacturer doesn't support the phone as much as you'd like, or the phone is lost, broken, outdated, not cool and you just don't want it anymore for any other reason, well, that doesn't change the fact that AT&T paid $400 for you, they have nothing to do with your phone issues, they're cellular service providers, not equipment manufacturers. 

Message 3 of 4 (1,362 Views)
Highlighted

When did you buy your iPhone 3G? Generally most customers with an iPhone 3G should be eligible to upgrade by now. You can check your upgrade date by dialing *639# from your mobile iPhone. AT&T will send you an exact upgrade eligibility date, unless you are behind on your bill. The general reason you're locked into a contract with your iPhone 3G is because you bought it when it was still supported by Apple and so in turn you're locked into a contract with AT&T from that date. The iPhone 3G is still a great device, and although it is no longer supported by software updates, if you have AppleCare the device may still be covered by warranty, and, although the device is less "secure" then an iPhone 3GS or an iPhone 4, there is no real reason to be alarmed. And think, at least you have an iPhone. If you're not eligible to upgrade yet, you could always buy a new phone at non-commitment pricing, early iPhone upgrade pricing or even on eBay/Craigslist.

Message 4 of 4 (1,353 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.