Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 1, 2012
5:10:44 AM
View profile
iPhone 3 G SIM size

My current every day phone is the iPhone 4S with service through a different carrier, not AT&T. I have purchased an AT&T iPhone 3G on Amazon in the US. My plan is to use this iPhone in Italy with an Italian SIM card as I will be living there from May through August. I can purchase the SIM card here in the US before leaving for Italy but I am uncertain whether the iPhone 3G takes a micro SIM or the regular full size SIM card.  Can anyone advice me?

Thanks.

My current every day phone is the iPhone 4S with service through a different carrier, not AT&T. I have purchased an AT&T iPhone 3G on Amazon in the US. My plan is to use this iPhone in Italy with an Italian SIM card as I will be living there from May through August. I can purchase the SIM card here in the US before leaving for Italy but I am uncertain whether the iPhone 3G takes a micro SIM or the regular full size SIM card.  Can anyone advice me?

Thanks.

iPhone 3 G SIM size

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2012 5:31:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
iPhones are locked to the AT&T network and only work with AT&T SIM cards unless you specifically buy the unlocked version.
The iPhone 3G takes a normal sized SIM. The takes the micro SIM.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
iPhones are locked to the AT&T network and only work with AT&T SIM cards unless you specifically buy the unlocked version.
The iPhone 3G takes a normal sized SIM. The takes the micro SIM.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iPhone 3 G SIM size

2 of 6 (1,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2012 11:26:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Cancel your order on Amazon!

Cancel your order on Amazon!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (1,479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2012 12:52:08 PM
(0)
Guru

I'm sorry for the confusion! An AT&T iPhone (first-generation, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S) cannot be unlocked when bought from the AT&T store, 3rd-party reseller or from Apple as an AT&T model...this is because in the United States, carriers are not required to unlock devices for use on other mobile networks, so, to trap us with their network, they require that the device, in this case the iPhone, be required to operate on their network exclusively. AT&T and Apple, due to policy and United States law, will not unlock your iPhone, and I'm really sorry about that. Their are third-party ways to unlock your iPhone, that cannot be discussed here, but they will void your Apple warranty, and could potentially damage your device. Also, be aware that warranty service...for any iPhone...will only be handled in the country that the iPhone was purchased in...so if you have any issues with your AT&T iPhone, or United States; factory-unlocked iPhone...you'll need to contact the United States Apple division for support.

I'm sorry for the confusion! An AT&T iPhone (first-generation, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S) cannot be unlocked when bought from the AT&T store, 3rd-party reseller or from Apple as an AT&T model...this is because in the United States, carriers are not required to unlock devices for use on other mobile networks, so, to trap us with their network, they require that the device, in this case the iPhone, be required to operate on their network exclusively. AT&T and Apple, due to policy and United States law, will not unlock your iPhone, and I'm really sorry about that. Their are third-party ways to unlock your iPhone, that cannot be discussed here, but they will void your Apple warranty, and could potentially damage your device. Also, be aware that warranty service...for any iPhone...will only be handled in the country that the iPhone was purchased in...so if you have any issues with your AT&T iPhone, or United States; factory-unlocked iPhone...you'll need to contact the United States Apple division for support.

Experience the Underlyingsound.

4 of 6 (1,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2012 1:04:44 PM
(0)
Guru

Underlyingsound wrote:

Also; iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS all use regular SIM cards.

Underlyingsound wrote:

Also; iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS all use regular SIM cards.

Experience the Underlyingsound.

5 of 6 (1,460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2012 4:38:13 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thanks for the feedback. I am not concerns with unlocking the iPhone 3G or voiding the warranty. It will not be a primary phone as I reside in the US, and as I mentioned I have an iPhone 4S as my primary device here. It is only when I am traveling that I need to use the iPhone 3G that I have purchases.

With the purchase price so inexpensive if the phone stops working after one extended trip overseas replacing it wouldn't upset me.

As you see I didn't ask about unlocking the device or the logistics behind this. I am familiar with jail breaking and unlocking devices. What I was interested in was finding out whether the SIM was standard size or micro.

Thanks to those who replied again.
Thanks for the feedback. I am not concerns with unlocking the iPhone 3G or voiding the warranty. It will not be a primary phone as I reside in the US, and as I mentioned I have an iPhone 4S as my primary device here. It is only when I am traveling that I need to use the iPhone 3G that I have purchases.

With the purchase price so inexpensive if the phone stops working after one extended trip overseas replacing it wouldn't upset me.

As you see I didn't ask about unlocking the device or the logistics behind this. I am familiar with jail breaking and unlocking devices. What I was interested in was finding out whether the SIM was standard size or micro.

Thanks to those who replied again.

6 of 6 (1,445 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments