Posted Apr 30, 2010
7:52:04 PM
View profile
iPad 3G registration will not allow a PO Box for an address
Edited by bmense on Apr 30, 2010 at 7:52:42 PM

Hi,

I need someone to help me figure out how to get my AT&T subscription for my iPad 3G working.  When I enter all the information on my iPad for the AT&T wireless plan such as my PO Box number it tells me to enter my physical address.  However, my credit card bill is sent to a PO Box so the address will not verify.  I have tried entering both the physical and the PO Box.  However, anytime any field has a PO Box or anything similar (i tried USPS Box) it will reject it.  I'm stuck!  How can I go about getting my account setup? 

Thanks,

Brian

Hi,

I need someone to help me figure out how to get my AT&T subscription for my iPad 3G working.  When I enter all the information on my iPad for the AT&T wireless plan such as my PO Box number it tells me to enter my physical address.  However, my credit card bill is sent to a PO Box so the address will not verify.  I have tried entering both the physical and the PO Box.  However, anytime any field has a PO Box or anything similar (i tried USPS Box) it will reject it.  I'm stuck!  How can I go about getting my account setup? 

Thanks,

Brian

iPad 3G registration will not allow a PO Box for an address

[ Edited ]
23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 7:56:45 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by 300k on Apr 30, 2010 at 7:57:57 PM

Why don't you just call AT&T? You will then get more help on this one since 3G iPad is only few hours old...

Why don't you just call AT&T? You will then get more help on this one since 3G iPad is only few hours old...

Re: iPad 3G registration will not allow a PO Box for an address

[ Edited ]
2 of 24 (8,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 8:28:13 PM
(0)
Professor

It sounds like other people have noticed the same issue. I would recommend calling AT&T at 1-800-331-0500 for support.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

It sounds like other people have noticed the same issue. I would recommend calling AT&T at 1-800-331-0500 for support.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

3 of 24 (8,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 30, 2010 10:07:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

Here's the solution I got after calling AT&T - call your bank, change your address, after iPad activation change your address back to your PO Box. Are they kidding me?  My charge card has a PO Box on it, it's how I pay my AT&T iPhone bill, and that works fine.  Why is this the case?  Something about the SIM card in the iPad.  Well, doesn't my iPhone 3G have a SIM card?  I live on someone else's property, and the physical address is THEIRS to use.  I have taken great pains to avoid using their address, so that my junk mail stays out of their box.  I can't believe AT&T won't accept my actual billing (PO Box) address. The bank does, and AT&T  ITSELF does for my iPhone.  

Here's the solution I got after calling AT&T - call your bank, change your address, after iPad activation change your address back to your PO Box. Are they kidding me?  My charge card has a PO Box on it, it's how I pay my AT&T iPhone bill, and that works fine.  Why is this the case?  Something about the SIM card in the iPad.  Well, doesn't my iPhone 3G have a SIM card?  I live on someone else's property, and the physical address is THEIRS to use.  I have taken great pains to avoid using their address, so that my junk mail stays out of their box.  I can't believe AT&T won't accept my actual billing (PO Box) address. The bank does, and AT&T  ITSELF does for my iPhone.  

4 of 24 (8,125 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 10:35:10 PM
(0)

Setting up an iPad 3G for my boss. I have until Monday AM to open an AT&T wireless account. The set up app on the iPad won't allow entering PO Boxes. Our town doesn't deliver mail to a physical address, only PO Boxes. Our company credit card billing address is a PO Box. Called AT&T and she said change billing address to a physical address. Called the credit card company and they can't add a physical address without changing the actual mailing address. Not acceptable.

Our company buys $1000's monthly using the credit card and PO Box. All our AT&T accounts are tied to the PO Box. Prohibiting a PO Box is ruining the iPad experience. AT&T needs to fix this immediately then back track to the person who added that restriction and have a talk.

Setting up an iPad 3G for my boss. I have until Monday AM to open an AT&T wireless account. The set up app on the iPad won't allow entering PO Boxes. Our town doesn't deliver mail to a physical address, only PO Boxes. Our company credit card billing address is a PO Box. Called AT&T and she said change billing address to a physical address. Called the credit card company and they can't add a physical address without changing the actual mailing address. Not acceptable.

Our company buys $1000's monthly using the credit card and PO Box. All our AT&T accounts are tied to the PO Box. Prohibiting a PO Box is ruining the iPad experience. AT&T needs to fix this immediately then back track to the person who added that restriction and have a talk.

5 of 24 (8,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2010 5:03:40 AM
(0)
Professor

Videoland4418 wrote:

Just curious, would you complain to the power company, water company, sewer service, or cable company for requiring a physical address for where they are providing service before setting up service?

Would you complain if your homeowner's or renters insurance required a physical address prior to writing a policy for you?

Some things in this world require a physical street address.  Most cellular service requires a physical street address.

That being said, I really do not see why AT&T cannot accept a service address and a billing address as two different addresses.  Maybe it's just their system and the way it is set up.

You stated, "Prohibiting a PO Box is ruining the iPad experience."  Really?  I didn't realize that you needed a PO Box or any other address information to use the iPad.  They do work on Wi-Fi, there is no requirement to have 3G on the device.

Videoland4418 wrote:

Just curious, would you complain to the power company, water company, sewer service, or cable company for requiring a physical address for where they are providing service before setting up service?

Would you complain if your homeowner's or renters insurance required a physical address prior to writing a policy for you?

Some things in this world require a physical street address.  Most cellular service requires a physical street address.

That being said, I really do not see why AT&T cannot accept a service address and a billing address as two different addresses.  Maybe it's just their system and the way it is set up.

You stated, "Prohibiting a PO Box is ruining the iPad experience."  Really?  I didn't realize that you needed a PO Box or any other address information to use the iPad.  They do work on Wi-Fi, there is no requirement to have 3G on the device.

6 of 24 (8,060 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2010 9:41:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

This is the most frustating experience yet!  I'm ready to get rid of all my ATT phones and the iPad!

I called ATT and they simply refuse to help.  They tell me that it's apple's problem and that they can't do a thing about it.  I call apple and they tell me that it's ATT's problem and they can't do a thing about it.  The only one that has been willing and able to try to help is my credit card company, Amex.

Amex has been willing to change and add secondary numbers until both of us are blue in the face.  Nothing works.  I enter the information into the iPad Cellular Data Account and I still get the message "Please validate the highlighted address information and retry.  I've verified with Amex what they have and it's correct.

I agree that who ever created this system needs to develope a much better understanding of financial transaction.  This is the most riduclous thing I've have had to deal with in years.  To top it off, the folks at apple disconnected me and never attempted to return the phone call.

This has been going on for over 2 hours now of being on hold and no one taking responsibility.

Does anyone have any idea what they are verifing the address against?  It's not the address on file with the credit card company!

This is the most frustating experience yet!  I'm ready to get rid of all my ATT phones and the iPad!

I called ATT and they simply refuse to help.  They tell me that it's apple's problem and that they can't do a thing about it.  I call apple and they tell me that it's ATT's problem and they can't do a thing about it.  The only one that has been willing and able to try to help is my credit card company, Amex.

Amex has been willing to change and add secondary numbers until both of us are blue in the face.  Nothing works.  I enter the information into the iPad Cellular Data Account and I still get the message "Please validate the highlighted address information and retry.  I've verified with Amex what they have and it's correct.

I agree that who ever created this system needs to develope a much better understanding of financial transaction.  This is the most riduclous thing I've have had to deal with in years.  To top it off, the folks at apple disconnected me and never attempted to return the phone call.

This has been going on for over 2 hours now of being on hold and no one taking responsibility.

Does anyone have any idea what they are verifing the address against?  It's not the address on file with the credit card company!

7 of 24 (7,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2010 10:17:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

After being on hold for hours, being accidentally disconnected (I'm giving them he benefit of the thought), and being told I have no idea what I'm talking about, I have my dataplan active.  I hope the following information helps the next poor soul that ventures down this path!

In all respects I believe this to be an ATT business process issue, not an Apple iPad issue.  However, it's the application on the iPad 3G that is doing the data verification.  I'm guessing that ATT wrote it as the application is for the ATT dataplan subscription.

The verification that the subscription plan application is doing is not of the credit card company list of addresses (bad idea folks!), it's the USPS database of verified street addresses.  How do I know, I entered an address that was not entered into my credit card companies database of billing or secondary addresses.  The application is looking at the USPS database of verified addresses.  If it does not find it in USPS database of verified addresses it will not accept it in the cellular dataplan subscription application.

I figured this out because I live in a private community and our physical address is not in the USPS database of verified street addresses.  USPS will only deliver to our PO Box.  However, all other carriers (FedEx, UPS, etc) find us just fine, as FedEx delivered the iPad to our physical address.  When the app does not find your address in the USPS database you get the message to verify the address.  It is not verifying the address the credit card company has on file but rather it's the USPS database it's verifying against.  Another business on our street does have it's address listed in the USPS database.  I used that address and it worked just fine.

Hope this help someone else in the future!  What a very poorly thought out application from a business perspective.

After being on hold for hours, being accidentally disconnected (I'm giving them he benefit of the thought), and being told I have no idea what I'm talking about, I have my dataplan active.  I hope the following information helps the next poor soul that ventures down this path!

In all respects I believe this to be an ATT business process issue, not an Apple iPad issue.  However, it's the application on the iPad 3G that is doing the data verification.  I'm guessing that ATT wrote it as the application is for the ATT dataplan subscription.

The verification that the subscription plan application is doing is not of the credit card company list of addresses (bad idea folks!), it's the USPS database of verified street addresses.  How do I know, I entered an address that was not entered into my credit card companies database of billing or secondary addresses.  The application is looking at the USPS database of verified addresses.  If it does not find it in USPS database of verified addresses it will not accept it in the cellular dataplan subscription application.

I figured this out because I live in a private community and our physical address is not in the USPS database of verified street addresses.  USPS will only deliver to our PO Box.  However, all other carriers (FedEx, UPS, etc) find us just fine, as FedEx delivered the iPad to our physical address.  When the app does not find your address in the USPS database you get the message to verify the address.  It is not verifying the address the credit card company has on file but rather it's the USPS database it's verifying against.  Another business on our street does have it's address listed in the USPS database.  I used that address and it worked just fine.

Hope this help someone else in the future!  What a very poorly thought out application from a business perspective.

8 of 24 (7,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2010 10:28:58 AM
(0)

Text from AT&T's website explaining why they don't accept PO Boxes.

"Cannot be P.O. Boxes 

Unfortunately, we cannot accept a post office box in place of your street address. A street address is required by Federal law to provide a geographic location for each wireless device that can be associated with the state, county, or city for tax purposes.In order to comply with the Mobile Telecommunications Sourcing Act (MTSA) of 2002, AT&T is required to capture and maintain a Place of Primary Use (PPU) address for all of its customers. PPU is defined as a valid street (physical) address within the defined licensed service area for the customer's home market. This address is used only for taxation purposes, not to determine if a customer can have an out of market secondary/additional line. In addition, we use your street address to reduce the risk of identity theft and fraud against you. Our Credit and Activations policy is to run credit only on a physical address. Customers can provide a post office box for their mailing address, but not for billing or place of primary use. A post office box may be entered after the activation process has been approved. The billing zip code you provide us needs to match the zip code on your credit card. Our Credit and Activations policy matches the billing zip with the zip on your credit card as a way to reduce the risk of identity theft and fraud."

Text from AT&T's website explaining why they don't accept PO Boxes.

"Cannot be P.O. Boxes 

Unfortunately, we cannot accept a post office box in place of your street address. A street address is required by Federal law to provide a geographic location for each wireless device that can be associated with the state, county, or city for tax purposes.In order to comply with the Mobile Telecommunications Sourcing Act (MTSA) of 2002, AT&T is required to capture and maintain a Place of Primary Use (PPU) address for all of its customers. PPU is defined as a valid street (physical) address within the defined licensed service area for the customer's home market. This address is used only for taxation purposes, not to determine if a customer can have an out of market secondary/additional line. In addition, we use your street address to reduce the risk of identity theft and fraud against you. Our Credit and Activations policy is to run credit only on a physical address. Customers can provide a post office box for their mailing address, but not for billing or place of primary use. A post office box may be entered after the activation process has been approved. The billing zip code you provide us needs to match the zip code on your credit card. Our Credit and Activations policy matches the billing zip with the zip on your credit card as a way to reduce the risk of identity theft and fraud."

9 of 24 (7,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2010 11:08:57 AM
(0)
Professor

satchev wrote:

Obviously you are not understanding. The complaint isn't with having to use a physical address. The complaint is, with having done so, it still doesn't work. I've seen this issue with other sevices before. For the customer that has a deliverable physical address, but chooses to use a P.O. Box, this wouldn't be an issue. It is those customers that have a physical address to which the postal service does not deliver that the issue is encountered. AT&T can not verify those addresses because they are non deliverable, hence they are rejected. My suggestion of what to try for these individuals would be to use the physical address of the post office, then use the P.O. Box for the billing address.

satchev wrote:

Obviously you are not understanding. The complaint isn't with having to use a physical address. The complaint is, with having done so, it still doesn't work. I've seen this issue with other sevices before. For the customer that has a deliverable physical address, but chooses to use a P.O. Box, this wouldn't be an issue. It is those customers that have a physical address to which the postal service does not deliver that the issue is encountered. AT&T can not verify those addresses because they are non deliverable, hence they are rejected. My suggestion of what to try for these individuals would be to use the physical address of the post office, then use the P.O. Box for the billing address.

10 of 24 (7,905 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2010 1:28:36 PM
(0)
Contributor
What a real pain this has been. I can't believe a big business like this could't find a way to be more customer friendly! As the previous post said...they validate against the USPS address database...NOT your address on file with your credit card company. Since our mountain town only uses po boxes for mail, few physical addresses will validate, and you get the dreaded error, even after you change your address with your credit card company. SO...find a valid physical address in your community that uses your zip code. The zip codes must match. Maybe use the USPS website to validate the address. I used the street address of the local post office. Nothing else in town would validate. Once you have a valid usps address, use that for your data activation address. There is no need to change your address with the credit card company. Only the zip code is validated against your account. This worked for me.
What a real pain this has been. I can't believe a big business like this could't find a way to be more customer friendly! As the previous post said...they validate against the USPS address database...NOT your address on file with your credit card company. Since our mountain town only uses po boxes for mail, few physical addresses will validate, and you get the dreaded error, even after you change your address with your credit card company. SO...find a valid physical address in your community that uses your zip code. The zip codes must match. Maybe use the USPS website to validate the address. I used the street address of the local post office. Nothing else in town would validate. Once you have a valid usps address, use that for your data activation address. There is no need to change your address with the credit card company. Only the zip code is validated against your account. This worked for me.

11 of 24 (3,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2010 3:32:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

LMFAO.... Sorry, I am having a similar problem... but that is funny.

LMFAO.... Sorry, I am having a similar problem... but that is funny.

12 of 24 (3,717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 8:53:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

Try This

I, too, have my credit card registered to a PO Box, and I'm not going to change it to my physical home address just for the ipad.  And yesterday I had the same problem, I would try to sign up but it kept rejecting me.

But just now I tried inputting my physical home address, but instead of using the zip code of my home address, I input the zip code for my PO Box (which is different), and it worked, I'm now signed up.

In other words, the AT&T credit card verification systems seems to want your physical, home address, but also it wants the correct zip code of where your billing statements are sent, because that's the zip code on file at the credit card company.

Try This

I, too, have my credit card registered to a PO Box, and I'm not going to change it to my physical home address just for the ipad.  And yesterday I had the same problem, I would try to sign up but it kept rejecting me.

But just now I tried inputting my physical home address, but instead of using the zip code of my home address, I input the zip code for my PO Box (which is different), and it worked, I'm now signed up.

In other words, the AT&T credit card verification systems seems to want your physical, home address, but also it wants the correct zip code of where your billing statements are sent, because that's the zip code on file at the credit card company.

13 of 24 (3,601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 9:09:15 AM
(0)
Teacher
I have been an ATT customer for 33 years, with home and business phone accounts, 3 cell phone accounts, and 2 Internet accounts, the bills for all of which come to my P.O. Box. I got the new 3G iPad on Friday and have been trying to set up the data plan for 2 days. I am not going to change the billing address on my company credit card for this. I would then have to change the billing address on at least a dozen other sites that use this card. My PO box zip is different than my physical address and is used only for the PO boxes. I love this iPad but it is going back if ATT doesn't fix this problem very soon.
I have been an ATT customer for 33 years, with home and business phone accounts, 3 cell phone accounts, and 2 Internet accounts, the bills for all of which come to my P.O. Box. I got the new 3G iPad on Friday and have been trying to set up the data plan for 2 days. I am not going to change the billing address on my company credit card for this. I would then have to change the billing address on at least a dozen other sites that use this card. My PO box zip is different than my physical address and is used only for the PO boxes. I love this iPad but it is going back if ATT doesn't fix this problem very soon.

14 of 24 (3,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 10:23:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

Took iPad to At&t store. After a sales rep listened to my address problem, she got the manager. The manager tried see the problem, he then call AT&T came back and looked at iPad again re-booted and still no address solution. I ask if other iPad owners have stopped in the store with this problem, he said " up until today we had none, but today I was the fourth." One customer tried to use 5 different credit cards all with the "Street" address - did not work. I could see the manager was frustrated. He went in the back room and called his AT&T office, came out and said there was a problem I they were trying to fix it, said Apple and AT&T were going back and forth  on who was at fault. I said I would wait a day and see what happens. Just as I was about to leave another customer was directed to the manager and pulled out his iPad. I said to the manager "here is number five for the day.

After reading several post here is wait I did for SOLUTION:

I entered all my information, credit card number etc., but for the address I put in my Post Office address and zip. I had to do this two times but then it processed. I am now on a data plan.

Make sure that in your "settings" that the "APN" is blank and "cellular data is" ON and "data roaming" is ON, you can change after a successful sign up. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Took iPad to At&t store. After a sales rep listened to my address problem, she got the manager. The manager tried see the problem, he then call AT&T came back and looked at iPad again re-booted and still no address solution. I ask if other iPad owners have stopped in the store with this problem, he said " up until today we had none, but today I was the fourth." One customer tried to use 5 different credit cards all with the "Street" address - did not work. I could see the manager was frustrated. He went in the back room and called his AT&T office, came out and said there was a problem I they were trying to fix it, said Apple and AT&T were going back and forth  on who was at fault. I said I would wait a day and see what happens. Just as I was about to leave another customer was directed to the manager and pulled out his iPad. I said to the manager "here is number five for the day.

After reading several post here is wait I did for SOLUTION:

I entered all my information, credit card number etc., but for the address I put in my Post Office address and zip. I had to do this two times but then it processed. I am now on a data plan.

Make sure that in your "settings" that the "APN" is blank and "cellular data is" ON and "data roaming" is ON, you can change after a successful sign up. HOPE THIS HELPS.

15 of 24 (3,567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 10:28:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

This is very frustrating.  I have a Rural Route address, not a PO Box and the program can't verifiy it.  Yet, it's the same address where I receive my AT&T bill cell phone bill!   I was on the phone with AT&T for 30 minutes trying to solve it (trying all kind of variations of my address), got transferred, then cut off.   Tried the number that rep had given me and when I finally got a live person, they transferred me and I got dropped again!

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any street addresses in my zip code other than RR addresses.   911 has actually assigned us street addresses, but the USPS has yet to make the switch.  

If anyone has anyone has suggestions, please let me know!  Anything to spare me the humilation at age 50 of having to call my parents to use their credit card and address.....

This is very frustrating.  I have a Rural Route address, not a PO Box and the program can't verifiy it.  Yet, it's the same address where I receive my AT&T bill cell phone bill!   I was on the phone with AT&T for 30 minutes trying to solve it (trying all kind of variations of my address), got transferred, then cut off.   Tried the number that rep had given me and when I finally got a live person, they transferred me and I got dropped again!

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any street addresses in my zip code other than RR addresses.   911 has actually assigned us street addresses, but the USPS has yet to make the switch.  

If anyone has anyone has suggestions, please let me know!  Anything to spare me the humilation at age 50 of having to call my parents to use their credit card and address.....

16 of 24 (3,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 10:31:38 AM
(0)

Try using an old physical address (five years old for me) and your current billing zip code. If that works you'll be be prompted to choose between the old physical address with correct zip or the old physical address and current billing zip. Choose the later and proceed. Hope this helps some folks. If AT&T is collecting physical info for the taxman (as they post in their SLA), this sign up app runs counter to that goal.

Try using an old physical address (five years old for me) and your current billing zip code. If that works you'll be be prompted to choose between the old physical address with correct zip or the old physical address and current billing zip. Choose the later and proceed. Hope this helps some folks. If AT&T is collecting physical info for the taxman (as they post in their SLA), this sign up app runs counter to that goal.

17 of 24 (3,562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 10:38:29 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by mod.moose on May 2, 2010 at 1:42:21 PM

were you to read the whole discussion prior to venting {keep it courteous}, you would understand that people who DO have physical address registered with their bank cards are having the same issue. PO boxes are not the sole issue here. 

AT&T has acknowledged that the issue is on their end - bankcard processing companies are reporting authorizations being provided and Apple has no means to create an account for users on AT&T's netowrk. 

Quite honestly they can't identify the reason for the problem nor can the estimate when  fix will be implemented. That's nearly verbatim from the level 3 escalated tech support team I just hung up with on a conference call with apple in cupertino. 

3G can be helpful when one is not near a wifi hotspot...like sitting on the side of a road seeking directions from Maps application when one's friggin GPS directs to a road that no longer exists. 

While you are obviously well informed on may topics - indeed your posts in other threads have been quite helpful to me - this one adds no new information, it's antagonistic and adds nothing to the discussion. maybe it's time to get of the grid for the day.

were you to read the whole discussion prior to venting {keep it courteous}, you would understand that people who DO have physical address registered with their bank cards are having the same issue. PO boxes are not the sole issue here. 

AT&T has acknowledged that the issue is on their end - bankcard processing companies are reporting authorizations being provided and Apple has no means to create an account for users on AT&T's netowrk. 

Quite honestly they can't identify the reason for the problem nor can the estimate when  fix will be implemented. That's nearly verbatim from the level 3 escalated tech support team I just hung up with on a conference call with apple in cupertino. 

3G can be helpful when one is not near a wifi hotspot...like sitting on the side of a road seeking directions from Maps application when one's friggin GPS directs to a road that no longer exists. 

While you are obviously well informed on may topics - indeed your posts in other threads have been quite helpful to me - this one adds no new information, it's antagonistic and adds nothing to the discussion. maybe it's time to get of the grid for the day.

[ Edited ]
18 of 24 (3,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 10:59:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

DEAD SOLID PERFECT!

I use a private mailbox store for my financial stuff. 

All I did was make sure the settings were as you noted.

Then used the street address and LEFT OFF THE BOX NUMBER. 

The system didn't care about where I live, it wanted the zip code where my PO box lives HAHA. 

Now I have data, and no junk mail from carrier - woot!

Mahalo nui loa!

DEAD SOLID PERFECT!

I use a private mailbox store for my financial stuff. 

All I did was make sure the settings were as you noted.

Then used the street address and LEFT OFF THE BOX NUMBER. 

The system didn't care about where I live, it wanted the zip code where my PO box lives HAHA. 

Now I have data, and no junk mail from carrier - woot!

Mahalo nui loa!

19 of 24 (3,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 11:13:00 AM
(0)
Contributor
As a hint to those still having problems...remember...your physical address MUST validate against the USPS address database. The USPS must think you exist. In my town, where we don't get mail and all have po boxes, few addresses validate. Apparently to the USPS we don't exist. (however the IRS knows we all exist...go figure). Use the USPS website zip finder tool to see if your physical address will validate. If it doesn't, try finding one for a local business in your zip code (the zip code must match your credit card billing zip). We had to use the physical address of our post office. Apparently the USPS knows that one exists in our town.
As a hint to those still having problems...remember...your physical address MUST validate against the USPS address database. The USPS must think you exist. In my town, where we don't get mail and all have po boxes, few addresses validate. Apparently to the USPS we don't exist. (however the IRS knows we all exist...go figure). Use the USPS website zip finder tool to see if your physical address will validate. If it doesn't, try finding one for a local business in your zip code (the zip code must match your credit card billing zip). We had to use the physical address of our post office. Apparently the USPS knows that one exists in our town.

20 of 24 (3,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 5:30:13 PM
(0)
Contributor
No matter what, keep trying. Some people spend years searching for validation. Once it comes, your self esteem soars, or in this case, you get to use your iPad while on the road. It's worth it.
No matter what, keep trying. Some people spend years searching for validation. Once it comes, your self esteem soars, or in this case, you get to use your iPad while on the road. It's worth it.

21 of 24 (2,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 7:27:54 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by theojo on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:31:41 AM

Well it's June 4 and they still haven't fixed the issue. I spent an hour last night of frustration. However thanks to the explanation on this forum and only this forum, that the issue is with the USPS and it's incomplete list of valid addresses, I was finally able to get a data plan, and just in time before the unlimited cutoff. To summarize the other posts, In a nutshell, here's what you do.

Under Billing Address, input your actual Credit Card billing address.

Then under Service address, just use the post offices address. Since its their fault for not having your actual physical address in their national data base, they will surely understand.  Not that it matters, since you'll get the bill at your correct PO Box billing address.  Just that ATT/Apple may eventually wonder why so many subscribers share the same address.   Here's how you find the post office address.

http://usps.whitepages.com/post_office

As long as the Post Office zip code is the same as your Credit Card billing zip code, which in all likely hood it is, since you pick up the mail there, this will work like a charm.

Well it's June 4 and they still haven't fixed the issue. I spent an hour last night of frustration. However thanks to the explanation on this forum and only this forum, that the issue is with the USPS and it's incomplete list of valid addresses, I was finally able to get a data plan, and just in time before the unlimited cutoff. To summarize the other posts, In a nutshell, here's what you do.

Under Billing Address, input your actual Credit Card billing address.

Then under Service address, just use the post offices address. Since its their fault for not having your actual physical address in their national data base, they will surely understand.  Not that it matters, since you'll get the bill at your correct PO Box billing address.  Just that ATT/Apple may eventually wonder why so many subscribers share the same address.   Here's how you find the post office address.

http://usps.whitepages.com/post_office

As long as the Post Office zip code is the same as your Credit Card billing zip code, which in all likely hood it is, since you pick up the mail there, this will work like a charm.

[ Edited ]
22 of 24 (2,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 10:36:33 PM
(0)
Contributor
"Just curious, would you complain to the power company, water company, sewer service, or cable company for requiring a physical address for where they are providing service before setting up service?

Some things in this world require a physical street address.  Most cellular service requires a physical street address."

Perhaps the silliest reply I have every read. I cannot get home delivery because I live within 0.5 miles of the Post Office. I have to use mt PO Box address on my credit card. I do not have the option to use my street address. BTW, I have Sprint for my cell phone and they do not require a street address. I cannot get cable TV because they cannot find me electronically on their maps and claim there is not cable service in my neighborhood even though there is, so I have DISH.

Sometimes, I order items that will not allow a PO Box. USPS tells me to use "Apt Box" instead. I tried to order my iPad through Best Buy, but they would not deliver it. I cannot order UPS or Fed Ex sometimes because my physical address does not match my credit card address. Plus sometimes, UPS and Fed Ex drop off the box at USPS and USPS requires a PO Box for me that UPS and Fed Ex will not allow.

My power, sewer and water companies seem to be quite able to handle the combo address that includes both physical and PO Box address.

If ATT will not activate this for me, then I will return it. Apple and ATT will both lose.

"Just curious, would you complain to the power company, water company, sewer service, or cable company for requiring a physical address for where they are providing service before setting up service?

Some things in this world require a physical street address.  Most cellular service requires a physical street address."

Perhaps the silliest reply I have every read. I cannot get home delivery because I live within 0.5 miles of the Post Office. I have to use mt PO Box address on my credit card. I do not have the option to use my street address. BTW, I have Sprint for my cell phone and they do not require a street address. I cannot get cable TV because they cannot find me electronically on their maps and claim there is not cable service in my neighborhood even though there is, so I have DISH.

Sometimes, I order items that will not allow a PO Box. USPS tells me to use "Apt Box" instead. I tried to order my iPad through Best Buy, but they would not deliver it. I cannot order UPS or Fed Ex sometimes because my physical address does not match my credit card address. Plus sometimes, UPS and Fed Ex drop off the box at USPS and USPS requires a PO Box for me that UPS and Fed Ex will not allow.

My power, sewer and water companies seem to be quite able to handle the combo address that includes both physical and PO Box address.

If ATT will not activate this for me, then I will return it. Apple and ATT will both lose.

23 of 24 (1,575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2011 6:10:23 AM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. If you need more help, please create a new thread. 

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. If you need more help, please create a new thread. 

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

24 of 24 (1,563 Views)