Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Mar 17, 2012
1:40:23 PM
iPad 3 and iPhone Accounts

I currently have AT&T U-verse (Internet, TV, Voice) and AT&T Wireless (iPhone 3G)--these services are on separate accounts and run month-to-month, i.e. no contracts.   I also do not need or want a wireless network at home.   I plan on a new iPhone 5 when it comes out, which will mean a contract, so I want to keep U-verse and Wireless accounts separate.  If I choose to get an iPad 3, I understand that a separate data plan is required (since I won't be using wifi).  The question is 1) whether the iPad data plan requires a 2 year contract like the new iPhone and 2) whether I would have my wireless phone and iPad data plans in one account, or whether they would  be separate.  If the iPad does not require a contract, it would be ideal for me to have a completely separate account just like my U-verse.  If anyone has set up accounts similarly, I would appreciate the details.  Thanks.

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

I currently have AT&T U-verse (Internet, TV, Voice) and AT&T Wireless (iPhone 3G)--these services are on separate accounts and run month-to-month, i.e. no contracts.   I also do not need or want a wireless network at home.   I plan on a new iPhone 5 when it comes out, which will mean a contract, so I want to keep U-verse and Wireless accounts separate.  If I choose to get an iPad 3, I understand that a separate data plan is required (since I won't be using wifi).  The question is 1) whether the iPad data plan requires a 2 year contract like the new iPhone and 2) whether I would have my wireless phone and iPad data plans in one account, or whether they would  be separate.  If the iPad does not require a contract, it would be ideal for me to have a completely separate account just like my U-verse.  If anyone has set up accounts similarly, I would appreciate the details.  Thanks.

docbombay

iPad 3 and iPhone Accounts

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2012 2:38:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

The iPad mobile service is separate, no contract, month to month just as you want. You need to buy the AT&T version of the iPad to use it. It is $130 additional over the WiFi only models. A Verizon version is also available.

However, I'm not sure what your aversion is to home WiFi. It is available to you with your Uverse service and is a part of the Residential Gateway you have now. I assume it is either turned off or you are just not using it. It would allow you to use your iPad & iPhone with your existing internet service at no additional cost and not use your mobile data while at home. It will also be faster.

But, if you want to give AT&T more $, the iPad data plans from AT&T are $15 for 250 MB of data, $30 for 3 GB and $50 for 5 GB per month.

Dlck

The iPad mobile service is separate, no contract, month to month just as you want. You need to buy the AT&T version of the iPad to use it. It is $130 additional over the WiFi only models. A Verizon version is also available.

However, I'm not sure what your aversion is to home WiFi. It is available to you with your Uverse service and is a part of the Residential Gateway you have now. I assume it is either turned off or you are just not using it. It would allow you to use your iPad & iPhone with your existing internet service at no additional cost and not use your mobile data while at home. It will also be faster.

But, if you want to give AT&T more $, the iPad data plans from AT&T are $15 for 250 MB of data, $30 for 3 GB and $50 for 5 GB per month.

Dlck

Re: iPad 3 and iPhone Accounts

2 of 4 (946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2012 3:33:00 PM
(0)
Guru

It's not so much an aversion as a lack of need.  Being not so technical, I would need to change various settings (including my RG, apparently a more complicated task if you have a Mac).  It is also my understanding (possibly incorrect) that WIFi connections are more prone to interruption and can be less secure than ethernet.  While I sync my iPhone to my desktop (and would do same with iPad) for calendars, contacts, etc., I have no need to have home devices interact wirelessly insofar as they are physically close to one another.  The iPad would be a new toy, essentially for reading, information gathering and non-telephonic communication when I am away from home.

However, I am open-minded and understand the potential cost savings.  I will try to research what would actually be involved in changing my RG settings and any other steps necessary for home Wi-Fi.  I suppose I would not need to change printer and external hard drive connections.

But I thank you very much for your answer, which basically tells me that the iPad would be separate and I need not worry about combining contract and non-contract accounts.  

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

It's not so much an aversion as a lack of need.  Being not so technical, I would need to change various settings (including my RG, apparently a more complicated task if you have a Mac).  It is also my understanding (possibly incorrect) that WIFi connections are more prone to interruption and can be less secure than ethernet.  While I sync my iPhone to my desktop (and would do same with iPad) for calendars, contacts, etc., I have no need to have home devices interact wirelessly insofar as they are physically close to one another.  The iPad would be a new toy, essentially for reading, information gathering and non-telephonic communication when I am away from home.

However, I am open-minded and understand the potential cost savings.  I will try to research what would actually be involved in changing my RG settings and any other steps necessary for home Wi-Fi.  I suppose I would not need to change printer and external hard drive connections.

But I thank you very much for your answer, which basically tells me that the iPad would be separate and I need not worry about combining contract and non-contract accounts.  

docbombay

3 of 4 (935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 9:46:33 AM
(0)
Mentor

No problem.

Changing the RG settings for WiFi is not very technical or complicated and can easily be done with Macs. Our household is all Mac + iPhones and iPads. We had not had any Mac vs PC issues. And unless you specifically asked the installer to turn it off, it is on by default.

WiFi can be subject to interferance but I have never had a problem. With a good password and WPA seting, security is not an issue. The advantage to using WiFi for your iPhone and iPad is to allow you to avoid cell data costs and improve device speed while at home.

Should you decide to use WiFi at home, I'd be happy to walk you through the process.

No problem.

Changing the RG settings for WiFi is not very technical or complicated and can easily be done with Macs. Our household is all Mac + iPhones and iPads. We had not had any Mac vs PC issues. And unless you specifically asked the installer to turn it off, it is on by default.

WiFi can be subject to interferance but I have never had a problem. With a good password and WPA seting, security is not an issue. The advantage to using WiFi for your iPhone and iPad is to allow you to avoid cell data costs and improve device speed while at home.

Should you decide to use WiFi at home, I'd be happy to walk you through the process.

4 of 4 (796 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments