Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 20, 2011
8:09:55 AM
View profile
iOS5 texting and smart limits

We have our daughters phone on smart limits and have several blocked numbers for good reason.

I'm learning (quickly) about iMessage, and that if both parties have it, the texts do not show up on the account.

This is very troubling as we closely monitor thru our account her activity with whom.

If we have blocked numbers on smart limits, and they have imessage, can she text them or call them then? This is really troubling as we are trying to keep certain "elements" from contacting her, etc.

Anyone know more about this? Help!!!

We have our daughters phone on smart limits and have several blocked numbers for good reason.

I'm learning (quickly) about iMessage, and that if both parties have it, the texts do not show up on the account.

This is very troubling as we closely monitor thru our account her activity with whom.

If we have blocked numbers on smart limits, and they have imessage, can she text them or call them then? This is really troubling as we are trying to keep certain "elements" from contacting her, etc.

Anyone know more about this? Help!!!

iOS5 texting and smart limits

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 8:59:18 AM
(0)
Scholar

iMessage is a feature of iOS.

If a user has an issue with it and the ability (or lack there of) to block who can message them, then that needs to be addressed with Apple.  AT&T has nothing to do with iMessage.

That being said, iMessage can be turned off in Settings > Messages > iMessage.  However, there is no way to lock this out via Parental Controls or restrictions.

iMessage is a feature of iOS.

If a user has an issue with it and the ability (or lack there of) to block who can message them, then that needs to be addressed with Apple.  AT&T has nothing to do with iMessage.

That being said, iMessage can be turned off in Settings > Messages > iMessage.  However, there is no way to lock this out via Parental Controls or restrictions.

Re: iOS5 texting and smart limits

2 of 6 (2,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 9:08:05 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by graphite07 on Nov 20, 2011 at 9:18:50 AM

Imessaging only works over WiFi,so if your daughters have a iphone there is no way to block who they Imessage. becuase i message uses the OP email address to send it to.like last night me and the wife was out she left her iphone at home. but had her ipad we had a excellent WiFi connection,she sent me a imessage to my iphone.  so there is no way to block it. but if you change the WiFi password and the Iphones are not allowed on the WiFi your  Daughters can not use imessaging.

she can not call them on imessage. like stated turn it off and set the password to restrick that feature. 

restrictions do not allow you passcode imessage i just checked...

restrictions

Camera

FaceTime

Itunes

Ping

installing Apps

Deleting Apps

Siri

Explicit Language

Imessaging only works over WiFi,so if your daughters have a iphone there is no way to block who they Imessage. becuase i message uses the OP email address to send it to.like last night me and the wife was out she left her iphone at home. but had her ipad we had a excellent WiFi connection,she sent me a imessage to my iphone.  so there is no way to block it. but if you change the WiFi password and the Iphones are not allowed on the WiFi your  Daughters can not use imessaging.

she can not call them on imessage. like stated turn it off and set the password to restrick that feature. 

restrictions do not allow you passcode imessage i just checked...

restrictions

Camera

FaceTime

Itunes

Ping

installing Apps

Deleting Apps

Siri

Explicit Language

hello!!!

[ Edited ]
3 of 6 (2,039 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 9:21:57 AM
(0)
Scholar

graphite07 wrote:

Imessaging only works over WiFi

That is not accurate... iMessage works over Cellular data or Wi-Fi.

graphite07 wrote:

Imessaging only works over WiFi

That is not accurate... iMessage works over Cellular data or Wi-Fi.

4 of 6 (2,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 9:32:47 AM
(0)
Guru
That's correct, iMessage works over cellular not just wifi.
That's correct, iMessage works over cellular not just wifi.

5 of 6 (2,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2011 10:01:15 AM
(0)
Guru
iMessaging works on the iPad and itouch over wifi using an email address.
iMessaging works on the iPad and itouch over wifi using an email address.

6 of 6 (2,023 Views)