iOS5 Battery Fix Coming

Expert

iOS5 Battery Fix Coming

Problem reported mostly with iPhone 4S.

...When Apple releases the fix for the battery problem, it likely will be the first patch distributed “over the air,” without the need to connect the device via USB to a computer running iTunes. The update will come from the device’s wireless Internet connection instead...

iOS 5.0.1 beta contains improvements and other bug fixes including:
- Fixes bugs affecting battery life
- Adds Multitasking Gestures for original iPad
- Resolves bugs with Documents in the Cloud
- Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation
- Contains security improvements

Message 1 of 6 (484 Views)
Professor

Re: iOS5 Battery Fix Coming

Standard Apple iOS release pattern. Release a major update and then in a few weeks release the patch to fix the major problem that all the testing somehow missed. I understand that no software is perfect, but how can you miss a big drop in battery life? Seriously?
Message 2 of 6 (433 Views)
ACE - Master

dwill05 wrote:
Standard Apple iOS release pattern. Release a major update and then in a few weeks release the patch to fix the major problem that all the testing somehow missed. I understand that no software is perfect, but how can you miss a big drop in battery life? Seriously?

Well,  from what I am hearing, the biggest report of problems with battery life are in connecting to older Microsoft Exchange servers.  Perhaps their test group don't have older Microsoft Exchange Servers that they use regularly.  Some issues aren't so easy to see until you can get enough data for the pattern to form more clearly.

How many iPhone users have upgraded and not experienced any significant drop in battery life?  So far everyone I personally know fit this last category.  Either I only know exceptional people, or the issue isn't as clear cut as some would like to make it sound.  I guess either is possible.  Smiley Happy

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6 (409 Views)
Guru

GeekBoy wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

Well,  from what I am hearing, the biggest report of problems with battery life are in connecting to older Microsoft Exchange servers.  Perhaps their test group don't have older Microsoft Exchange Servers that they use regularly.  Some issues aren't so easy to see until you can get enough data for the pattern to form more clearly.

How many iPhone users have upgraded and not experienced any significant drop in battery life?  So far everyone I personally know fit this last category.  Either I only know exceptional people, or the issue isn't as clear cut as some would like to make it sound.  I guess either is possible.  Smiley Happy

LOL so you're insinuating that:

1) If you and your group of "exceptional" people aren't/haven't experienced the issue, then odds are it's probably a non-issue;

2) Unless your circle of folks that you personally know happens to be a very large one, you must believe that your small sampling must represent the majority of folks who aren't having the issue;

3) You must know more than Apple to insinuate that the issue may not be as clear-cut as folks are making it out to be, even though it would appear that Apple has (indirectly) acknowledged that there could be a bug that may be affecting iPhone 4s battery life.

I guess if only those folks who are complaining about dismal 4s battery life were just as exceptional as the folks you personally know, then they probably would not be having these issues, eh? Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6 (313 Views)
Mentor

I think he's just saying that the problem may not be as widespread as the media would make it out to be. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of people effected by this problem, but I bet as a percentage they are low and when you're dealing with a much smaller sampling size, such as in a beta, problems that only effect a small percenatge don't always get the highest priority.

I'm a software developer myself and I can tell you that every product I've ever worked on has needed a patch almost immediately after the first release of a major revision. As much as you try to test everything some issues just don't come to light until after the general public gets ahold of it.

Dan

Message 5 of 6 (286 Views)
Highlighted

Dan203 wrote:

I think he's just saying that the problem may not be as widespread as the media would make it out to be. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of people effected by this problem, but I bet as a percentage they are low and when you're dealing with a much smaller sampling size, such as in a beta, problems that only effect a small percenatge don't always get the highest priority.

I'm a software developer myself and I can tell you that every product I've ever worked on has needed a patch almost immediately after the first release of a major revision. As much as you try to test everything some issues just don't come to light until after the general public gets ahold of it.

Dan

Yeah, software testing is often rather thankless.  If you let anything slip by the response is frequently "Why do we even bother testing if errors like this get through".  And if nothing does slip by the response is frequently "Why did we waste all of that time testing when obviously the product works".

Message 6 of 6 (281 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.